How likely am I to get depression?

Watch
Sugar938484
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Depression runs in my family but only my uncle has it. He was diagnosed with clinical depression after landing in a psych ward more than a decade ago. My parents don’t have anything and neither do my grandparents on both sides. If only my uncle has it, will I be likely to get it too? Is it worth stressing about?
Last edited by Sugar938484; 7 months ago
ivybridges
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I mean, without being rude, why is this even a question?

Focus on living a healthy life and on developing good coping strategies and healthy response mechanisms to difficult situations and hope for the best. It's a fine line between meeting the clinical criteria for depression, and being a mixture of sad, stressed and anxious in a particular time in your life.

I think it's unhealthy to preempt ending up with a clinical diagnosis like this.

Spoiler:
Show
This is all just my opinion and as somebody with a diagnosed psychiatric disorder, I genuinely don't mean to sound off.
Sugar938484
Rep:
?
(Original post by ivybridges)
I mean, without being rude, why is this even a question?

Focus on living a healthy life and on developing good coping strategies and healthy response mechanisms to difficult situations and hope for the best. It's a fine line between meeting the clinical criteria for depression, and being a mixture of sad, stressed and anxious in a particular time in your life.

I think it's unhealthy to preempt ending up with a clinical diagnosis like this.

Spoiler:
Show
This is all just my opinion and as somebody with a diagnosed psychiatric disorder, I genuinely don't mean to sound off.
Depression often runs in families so...
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Sugar938484)
Still isn't worth worrying about. Just take care of yourself.
ivybridges
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
... Most conditions have a hereditary connection, that doesn't mean you're going to end up with it. Nobody is going to be able to sit down and give you a statistical means of determining how likely or not you are to end up with a certain condition, psychiatric, psychological or otherwise.
Sugar938484
Rep:
?
(Original post by ivybridges)
... Most conditions have a hereditary connection, that doesn't mean you're going to end up with it. Nobody is going to be able to sit down and give you a statistical means of determining how likely or not you are to end up with a certain condition, psychiatric, psychological or otherwise.
Ok. I only asked this because I thought there were statistics on this. I know that if you have a parent with the condition there can be up to 50 percent chance you will get it. I don’t know about other relatives though.
ivybridges
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Ok. I only asked this because I thought there were statistics on this. I know that if you have a parent with the condition there can be up to 50 percent chance you will get it. I don’t know about other relatives though.
But it's variable. Everything I'm saying is supposed to just make sure that you're not panicking about something that it isn't worth panicking about.

Most people have a 'bout' of depression at some point in their lives, others may have 'major depression'; cross that bridge when and if you get to it and make sure you access appropriate support as and when (and if) you feel you need it. That's the best you can do.
Last edited by ivybridges; 7 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (47)
37.3%
No (65)
51.59%
I don't know (14)
11.11%

Watched Threads