The Student Room Group

My boyfriend and I had a fight, now it’s really awkward. What do I do?

A couple of days ago, my boyf and I had a fight about something really small. We did something together and I made the mistake of telling my close friends and my boyf told me that his friends found out too. During the argument, he told me “the trust I thought we had is now broken.” Obviously I made a big mistake of trusting my close friends and I sent him a message apologising and explaining everything. There was some misunderstanding in the situation and found out some people were lying, part of it was out of my control. Regardless I told him I was deeply sorry. We talked on call after, he accepted my apology and said sorry for accusing me of things during the argument. However the call was really awkward and was really silent. The next day, our conversations was beginning to get back into normal but I felt he wasn’t too interested in talking to me. I also feel that there is nothing to talk about. I hate myself for it but I don’t know what to do. We are supposed to see each other tomorrow, I asked him if it was still happening and he said “yeahhh”. I want to know if he’s still mad at me because it’s really awkward when we do talk. I feel as if there’s a barrier and nothing will be the same again. What should I do?
Sometimes close friends aren't as close as you think, or at least not as keen on keeping things to themselves as you hoped they would be.
In my experience it's often best to keep some things to yourself, it's surprising how telling one close friend suddenly seems like standing on a pedestal and telling the whole world. And then other people get a hold of it and add bits to make it more interesting.
As for boyf, I would give it time. If you want to know what he feels, ask him. Talk about it. This needn't be the end, but it might be something you both can learn from.
If he can't fully make-up with you after a lover's tiff then there's no way that you should stay with someone that doesn't allow water to pass under the bridge to this extent.

When you see him tomorrow, you should act as if the argument never happened. See how he acts. Hopefully he will follow your cue and start acting as if it never happened.

If he expects to have a relationship in which there are never any arguments then he has totally unrealistic expectations.
If he falls out of love with you over this one argument, then his love was as strong as a glass of tap water.

If he expects you to ALWAYS act how he wants, then he's got another thing coming. And it's time he grew up and started being more tolerant.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
If he can't fully make-up with you after a lover's tiff then there's no way that you should stay with someone that doesn't allow water to pass under the bridge to this extent.

Sometimes fragile feelings and emotions need a little more time, patience and care to sort out.
Original post by Deborah_C
Sometimes fragile feelings and emotions need a little more time, patience and care to sort out.

And the best way to do that in this scenario is for the OP to reconfirm that she loves her boyfriend. And a good way to do that is for her to act as if the argument never happened when they meet tomorrow.

And if the boyfriend takes more than 4 days to get over an argument then I would question whether he's worth sticking with anyway?
Why stick around with someone so moody / sulky / self-obsessed / slow to forgive and move on? When there are plenty of other men where such an argument would be water off a duck's back?
Reply 5
Original post by kylie.sr
A couple of days ago, my boyf and I had a fight about something really small. We did something together and I made the mistake of telling my close friends and my boyf told me that his friends found out too. During the argument, he told me “the trust I thought we had is now broken.” Obviously I made a big mistake of trusting my close friends and I sent him a message apologising and explaining everything. There was some misunderstanding in the situation and found out some people were lying, part of it was out of my control. Regardless I told him I was deeply sorry. We talked on call after, he accepted my apology and said sorry for accusing me of things during the argument. However the call was really awkward and was really silent. The next day, our conversations was beginning to get back into normal but I felt he wasn’t too interested in talking to me. I also feel that there is nothing to talk about. I hate myself for it but I don’t know what to do. We are supposed to see each other tomorrow, I asked him if it was still happening and he said “yeahhh”. I want to know if he’s still mad at me because it’s really awkward when we do talk. I feel as if there’s a barrier and nothing will be the same again. What should I do?

You need to gove things some time. Maybe your realiae that you triggered the issue in the first place. You can still meet up with him,not overthink things and apologise once again and hug him! A sense of humour from you would also help to break the ice! You may actually end up understanding each other better and therefore have a stronger relationship!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Give each other some space for the both of you to calm down and sort your feelings, then communicate in person. Even as a couple, it's important to have some space.
And a good way to do that is for her to act as if the argument never happened when they meet tomorrow.

Burying an unfinished argument is never a good way to deal with things.
Reply 8
Original post by kylie.sr

When you see him tomorrow, you should act as if the argument never happened. See how he acts. Hopefully he will follow your cue and start acting as if it never happened.

If he expects to have a relationship in which there are never any arguments then he has totally unrealistic expectations.
If he falls out of love with you over this one argument, then his love was as strong as a glass of tap water.

If he expects you to ALWAYS act how he wants, then he's got another thing coming. And it's time he grew up and started being more tolerant.

who do you think you are?
if she acts like she doesnt care that would only offend and make the boyf feel more unwanted and as if the whole situation doesnt mean anything to the gf. it is normal for people to have arguments and some people deal with it better than others, clearly the bf is unable to forgive the gf faster than others and he is still thinking about the situation. if he believes its a breach of trust then it is very serious to him. and the gf shouldnt necessarily brush it off and keep in mind that she did and although not intentionally, has hurt the bf and needs to make up for what she has done. awkward or not, you can find a way to reassure that the gf is trustworthy and you guys can still be together and that this is a inconvinience that you two are able to overcome.
Original post by yargman
who do you think you are?
if she acts like she doesnt care that would only offend and make the boyf feel more unwanted and as if the whole situation doesnt mean anything to the gf. it is normal for people to have arguments and some people deal with it better than others, clearly the bf is unable to forgive the gf faster than others and he is still thinking about the situation. if he believes its a breach of trust then it is very serious to him. and the gf shouldnt necessarily brush it off and keep in mind that she did and although not intentionally, has hurt the bf and needs to make up for what she has done. awkward or not, you can find a way to reassure that the gf is trustworthy and you guys can still be together and that this is a inconvinience that you two are able to overcome.

Er, opening line of the opening post says "my boyf and I had a fight about something really small".
Nobody's perfect. We all make mistakes. This was over something really small. The boyfriend is making a mountain out of a mole-hill. The boyfriend is finding it difficult to get back on loving terms with his girlfriend, that he's supposed to love because of a fight over "something really small".

The OP has already sincerely apologised. The OP has not brushed this off! It appears that there's minimal chance that the OP will repeat this mistake.

I completely disagree about her now acting in a way to make this up with the boyfriend. Because that would be training him up that when he's moody and sulky, he gets a reward. It would be better to train him that when he is level headed, positive and tolerant he gets a reward.

Burying an unfinished argument is never a good way to deal with things.

I completely disagree with this in this scenario. The OP has told him that she is deeply sorry. That is not burying an unfunished argument. It IS ending it. There is zero point from his point of view in discussing this any further. He's explained how he felt. She's apologised. That's it. End of discussion. Time to move on.
Dwelling on past mistakes of one's romantic partner is deeply unhealthy for a romantic relationship. It's being too negative.
Negativity is drip feeding poison into a relationship.
That is not burying an unfunished argument. It IS ending it.
It's being too negative.
Negativity is drip feeding poison into a relationship.

The argument, or fight, is unfinished though. Maybe you just stamp your foot and call and end to emotional issues when it suits you, but some people can't.
Being too negative? Maybe by your standards but you aren't him; you don't have his emotions, everyone acts differently and some will just bounce back, some won't. Dwelling on things might not be a good idea, but just brushing them under the carpet when one or both parties aren't ready to move on will not make the situation better. This might take time and one or both parties should be allowed the time needed to get through this.
The argument, or fight, is unfinished though. Maybe you just stamp your foot and call and end to emotional issues when it suits you, but some people can't.
Being too negative? Maybe by your standards but you aren't him; you don't have his emotions, everyone acts differently and some will just bounce back, some won't. Dwelling on things might not be a good idea, but just brushing them under the carpet when one or both parties aren't ready to move on will not make the situation better. This might take time and one or both parties should be allowed the time needed to get through this.

Nobody can help their emotions. But everyone can help how they react in response to those emotions.

And how different people do this is a defining area on whether they are worth having as a boyfriend or not.

From his behaviour over this argument I would say that he is not worth sticking with - if he makes this a habit.
And just as everyone can make mistakes, he has made a mistake in his behaviour over the last few days. It's OK if he starts improving his behaviour, starting with their meeting tomorrow. The OP should tolerate his behaviour so far. If he carries on his moody sulky behaviour then the OP should get rid of him.
Er, opening line of the opening post says "my boyf and I had a fight about something really small".

According to her, yes. But she's not the one hurt or upset, he is.

He's stated to her that he feels the trust is broken. Clearly, trust is a massive issue in every relationship and isn't a small matter.

Unfortunately, we don't know the specifics, so no one here can judge if he has a right to be as upset as he is. Bot for him, its a bigger issue than what she has portrayed for her - clearly already a misalignment.

If he feels the trust is broken, then she has to address that point if she wants to mend the relationship.
Reply 13
Original post by Spongebob'sPants

He's stated to her that he feels the trust is broken. Clearly, trust is a massive issue in every relationship and isn't a small matter.

Unfortunately, we don't know the specifics, so no one here can judge if he has a right to be as upset as he is. Bot for him, its a bigger issue than what she has portrayed for her - clearly already a misalignment.

If he feels the trust is broken, then she has to address that point if she wants to mend the relationship.

In a relationship we dont get the right to try to invalidate someine else's feelings by deciding whether they are entitled to be upset or not! This is what a lot of people don't understand.
If they both value the relationship then they will find a solution. If not, then they will split up. It is up to them!
Original post by Spongebob'sPants

She has addressed the point by apologosing and arranging to meet today.

Of course he has an absolute right to dump the OP. If that happens so be it. In fact if that happens it would be a good result for the OP - in the medium to long term. As she'd then be free to find a boyfriend that is more compatible with her when it comes to resolving conflict.

And she has the right to dump him too.

Let's see how their meeting goes today. With any luck, the boyfriend will start acting like a mature, level headed, caring, loving boyfriend and treat this as water under the bridge now. And the 2 of them will move on with their relationship...
With any luck, the boyfriend will start acting like a mature, level headed, caring, loving boyfriend and treat this as water under the bridge now. And the 2 of them will move on with their relationship...

Do you not realise that a lot of people don't think or act in the same way as you do? You see the world in black and white: he's wrong, she isn't. He must do this, etc. Life isn't like that; most of us aren't robots, most of us have feelings and emotions that can't just be swept away and replaced with other peoples' version of how things should be.
See. It’s always the women that causes it. Next time don’t run your mouth to your so called friends
Do you not realise that a lot of people don't think or act in the same way as you do? You see the world in black and white: he's wrong, she isn't. He must do this, etc. Life isn't like that; most of us aren't robots, most of us have feelings and emotions that can't just be swept away and replaced with other peoples' version of how things should be.

The aim of this section of the forum is to help people with relationship issues. To give them the best advice on how to proceed for any given set of circumstances. Sometimes this takes the form of reassuring the Opening Poster.

I'm failing to see how this latest post of yours gives the Opening Poster any help, advice, or reassurance?

All that you have done in this latest post is to totally misrepresent what I have said, as a whole in this thread.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending