Medikj
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is it possible for a molecule to have a molecular structure with 2 bonds at 90° and one bond at 180°? (and no other bonds apart from those three)

Thank you!
Hammad Dogar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No I don't think so
Medikj
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hammad Dogar)
No I don't think so
Thank you very much!
Hammad Dogar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Medikj)
Thank you very much!
Np, was there any specific molecule/question in your mind?
Medikj
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hammad Dogar)
Np, was there any specific molecule/question in your mind?
No, I am doing some exercises on hybridization and one question asked “out of this four molecular geometries, which has a sp2 hybridization?”.
Two of the possible answers were out of question because they only had one or two electron domains, so I was left with two possible answers.
One was “three angles of 120°” and the other was “two angles of 90° and one of 180°”. Since they both have three electron domains they both could have had an sp2 hybridization. I could not think about any other reason to choose one answer over the other but the fact that one of the two had to be a molecular geometry that did not exist at all.
I knew trigonal planar had three bonds at 120°, so I asked, just to make sure, if the other one existed at all.
Last edited by Medikj; 1 year ago
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Medikj)
Is it possible for a molecule to have a molecular structure with 2 bonds at 90° and one bond at 180°? (and no other bonds apart from those three)

Thank you!
Would an atom at the top centre of the letter T have the bonding you're interested in?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (221)
43.25%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.35%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
21.14%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (57)
11.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.48%

Watched Threads