Is your university going online due to Coronavirus?

Watch
Shannon476
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As an international student who absolutely need to go back to my home country during Easter break (and my Uni is on OP's list)...I'm feeling absolutely overwhelmed right now.
I got the email that all assessments will be online at 4+ pm.
I really can't even begin to think what to do if I can't come back to UK after the break. Idk if I want to cut short my accommodation contract (or if I can do so). What to do with my stuff (initial plan was to sell some of the bulky items through my dissertation period). The sort of networking that I was hoping to be one of the value-add to my degree is in shambles. I might need to give up on my job hunt in the UK (so need to make sure I bring the job-hunting relevant documents/workwear back = take up my already pitiful luggage allowance).

I have only about 3 days to decide what to do and take action. And I've a quiz (remote) tomorrow.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just had an email saying our final year show is cancelled rather than postponed.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Worried about the online exam format, with the things that could go wrong, and people skewing the pass marks away from people who actually did the test by revising and understanding the content by cheating
morningstar461
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
UWE is closed - https://www1.uwe.ac.uk/students/heal.../students.aspx
Anonymous #27
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pharyngotympanic)
I'm gonna be annoyed if my GEM course makes us sit exams whilst other unis don't have to.
Thats what im worried about lowkey. I understand all unis have different circumstances but it just seems unfair.
5picyduck
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hull has stopped teaching https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-51917966
ساره
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
For now but everyone is due to go back in April
angelike1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
Worried about the online exam format, with the things that could go wrong, and people skewing the pass marks away from people who actually did the test by revising and understanding the content by cheating
Doesn't online format mean you're allowed to "cheat" (open book)?
Anonymous #10
Report 2 weeks ago
A few students at my university had an online mid-term test today, and apparently it was a nightmare. Although the lecturer had prepared them for an actual test with multiple choice and calculation questions (including giving them past mid-terms with solutions so students can get an understanding of marking), it had to be changed to a weird essay that no understood. Even making a group chat to "help each other" made no difference since everyone was so lost.

Not feeling so good about my mid-terms in 3 weeks time
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by angelike1)
Doesn't online format mean you're allowed to "cheat" (open book)?
i think LSE has some eye tracking software, and makes you show your desk and door being closed, and would be audio and visually recorded lol - would vary according to uni.

The effect on pass marks on those who do the test by actually revising is worrying, tbh would have much rather have a paper exam were it not for this outbreak
angelike1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i think LSE has some eye tracking software, and makes you show your desk and door being closed, and would be audio and visually recorded lol - would vary according to uni.

The effect on pass marks on those who do the test by actually revising is worrying, tbh would have much rather have a paper exam were it not for this outbreak
Oh think Brunel have that as well lmao.

It's silly tbh - too many risks.
Last edited by angelike1; 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #28
Report 2 weeks ago
Any universities communicated how labs for courses such as chemistry will be handled over the coming months? Certainly can’t do these as home!
ROC10
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Problem is, that's not really possible to implement fully. There is a (slim) chance some students may not have a webcam/microphone or they may simply deny access and pretend they don't have one. So unless the uni are going to supply computers/accessories (impossible if some students are abroad etc) then this technically can't really work. I'd anticipate the majority of exams will need to go ahead on an open-book basis.
harriet7456
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
UWE has just announced there switching to online classes and everyone is packing up their stuff to move home but I have a problem transporting all my stuff back. Is anyone in the same boat & are going to have to leave things in campus accommodation and coming to get in at a later date?
Simbasoul
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by harriet7456)
UWE has just announced there switching to online classes and everyone is packing up their stuff to move home but I have a problem transporting all my stuff back. Is anyone in the same boat & are going to have to leave things in campus accommodation and coming to get in at a later date?
Birmingham Uni haven’t really said anything except there will be online learning but no ruling in exams. Son has come home today but still left his stuff in his room - the accommodation contract is until end of June I think so they would have to honour that anyway.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Just had an email saying our final year show is cancelled rather than postponed.
Sorry to hear that, I saw you were looking forward to it :/
angelike1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ROC10)
Problem is, that's not really possible to implement fully. There is a (slim) chance some students may not have a webcam/microphone or they may simply deny access and pretend they don't have one. So unless the uni are going to supply computers/accessories (impossible if some students are abroad etc) then this technically can't really work. I'd anticipate the majority of exams will need to go ahead on an open-book basis.
Also faulty internet connections and what would you do if you need a bathroom break? Take the webcam with you? :lol:
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Sorry to hear that, I saw you were looking forward to it :/
Just read an email that graduation ceremonies in July have been cancelled as well. All the years up to it envisaging that moment and we will not have it. Absolutely sucks.
Incredibly OTT for the uni to be closed that long imo.
Pharyngotympanic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Just read an email that graduation ceremonies in July have been cancelled as well. All the years up to it envisaging that moment and we will not have it. Absolutely sucks.
Incredibly OTT for the uni to be closed that long imo.
They are covering their own asses. Their priorities are that they don't get into trouble but still get graduates to make their numbers look good. Chances are everything will still be a **** show then anyway.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pharyngotympanic)
They are covering their own asses. Their priorities are that they don't get into trouble but still get graduates to make their numbers look good. Chances are everything will still be a **** show then anyway.
I understand their reasoning but it just really sucks, it's a right of passage and we have all worked really hard for it. To have it scuppered at the last moment is awful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (304)
34.31%
No (582)
65.69%

Watched Threads