Is your university going online due to Coronavirus?

Watch
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
My university haven't announced closure, I partly hope they don't either.

It's bad enough having an entire month knocked off of teaching because of the strikes, if it's closed for another few weeks then we've barely had any teaching for this semester's modules. Nothing in place to take account of it either.
Has the university confirmed that they will not alter policies on assessments or just not said anything yet?
DuckDodgers
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
university of leicester is also closed
I can't see anything on their website or Twitter?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Liverpool and Brum have told staff to prepare to switch to online, I believe
04MR17
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
Liverpool and Brum have told staff to prepare to switch to online, I believe
UoB not BCU?
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by QuantumC1ockwork)
Do you have any idea if this will affect interviews? I have one on the 1st of April
Email them!!!! Preferably email the person your having an interview with if you know their email.(if you have a name on your letter, you can easily find their uni email). Student services will be swamped with queries.
04MR17
Rep:
?
(Original post by DuckDodgers)
I can't see anything on their website or Twitter?
Several unis that I'm aware of haven't said anything externally but have emailed students.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
How did you find out UCL is closed?
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Has the university confirmed that they will not alter policies on assessments or just not said anything yet?
Each module convenor has said different things really, the majority have said that nothing will change. Others have merely said they'll "take it into account whilst marking" but the exams are to remain the same. I'm hoping they'll clarify that a bit nearer the time.
sinfonietta
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My uni is still open and operating as normal despite a confirmed case last week.

EDIT: turns out an email went out within the hour saying classes are suspended from Monday.
Last edited by sinfonietta; 3 weeks ago
gypjh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Loughborough also online only from Monday 16th
04MR17
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Each module convenor has said different things really, the majority have said that nothing will change. Others have merely said they'll "take it into account whilst marking" but the exams are to remain the same. I'm hoping they'll clarify that a bit nearer the time.
I'd say it's probably worth speaking to the elected officer at your SU with portfolio for education in that case. The university should really be issuing more guidance on this. I know the priority is obviously to make sure everyone's safe but this sort of thing is an automatic worry for many students.
(Original post by sinfonietta)
My uni is still open and operating as normal despite a confirmed case last week.
Crikey. :yikes: Is it a large institution?
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Business as usual at Imperial, except that they cancelled our assessed problem sheet and just made it into a regular problem sheet. This seems like the least effective measure imaginable, but hey that's a bit less for me to worry about.

No cases confirmed yet, but an alumnus went to a social event with about 100 students shortly before testing positive for Covid-19, so... who knows.
04MR17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
How did you find out UCL is closed?
gypjh ?
ROC10
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just confirming that this is Uni of Glasgow?

Sounds like a pretty broad approach on exams. Could this also include practical exams like music recitals?
Yes, UofG. My university on the other hand (University of Edinburgh) have been pretty quiet. Lectures etc will continue for now but they have indicated exams could be affected and that they are working on ways to deliver assessment “safely and fairly”.
gypjh
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is different from strike. If you had lectures cancelled by strike ask your VC for refund or rebate. They should have kept staff happy. They owe you fees. In case of COVID staff want to give you lecture content and contact hours, but they cannot. But hey can offer resources, guidance, recorded lectures and advice via Skype. So it is not like you're not getting anything for your fees. Many unis will also keep SU and libraries open for those who need them. Most halls of residence are run by private companies, and will of course stay open.
gypjh
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Saw UCL closing because of facebook post from member of staff. But please check with uni this is accurate.
gypjh
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Essex are going to online lectures only from Monday
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
UoB not BCU?
yeah UoB

Going off the philosophy twitter convos anyway
04MR17
Rep:
?
(Original post by gypjh)
Saw UCL closing because of facebook post from member of staff. But please check with uni this is accurate.
I have edited the OP to make the UCL one anecdotal. :yy:

(Original post by gjd800)
yeah UoB

Going off the philosophy twitter convos anyway
Lovely. :yy:
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have edited the OP to make the UCL one anecdotal. :yy:

Lovely. :yy:
Liverpool has def made some changes. My mate is teaching there and has moved her course online as of today.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (326)
34.53%
No (618)
65.47%

Watched Threads