Is your university going online due to Coronavirus?

Watch
Anonymous #4
Report 3 weeks ago
I spoke to someone in my School at Uni of Manchester. I'm worried about going in because i have severe asthma and live with an elderly relative who is seriously vulnerable. I spoke to a lovely woman, but she could only tell me that they had many concerns like this yet the uni were simply following gov advice. The issue I had was that because of this, if you do choose not to go in, they can't count this as mitigating circumstances and it will badly affect your attendance. The uni is not taking into account the needs of different students, and following a ridiculous government.
DuckDodgers
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Several unis that I'm aware of haven't said anything externally but have emailed students.
That would make more sense.

I work near there so am intrigued as I go to their cafe occasionally for lunch.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I spoke to someone in my School at Uni of Manchester. I'm worried about going in because i have severe asthma and live with an elderly relative who is seriously vulnerable. I spoke to a lovely woman, but she could only tell me that they had many concerns like this yet the uni were simply following gov advice. The issue I had was that because of this, if you do choose not to go in, they can't count this as mitigating circumstances and it will badly affect your attendance. The uni is not taking into account the needs of different students, and following a ridiculous government.
My understanding is that government advice is if you see yourself as at-risk (which with sever asthma you clearly are) then self-isolating is acceptable, and so you have grounds for mitigating circumstances. I would suggest you get the university to confirm whether or not this would be mitigating circumstances in your particular situation. If you could get this written in an email that could be more substantial further down the line if there are problems.
Anonymous #5
Report 3 weeks ago
Ucb birmingham sent email out
gypjh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
University of Manchester should be sending more positive message - if any student chooses not to come to lectures because of heath circs or caring the uni ought to provide opportunities for you to learn remotely. Email your tutor now, tell them why you will be avoiding campus, and they should sort this.

BTW: dont worry, there is not known link between asthma and getting corona. Nor is the impact thought to be any worse for asthma sufferers
ROC10
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If I live with a family member who is at-risk, can I inform the university I wish to self-isolate?
gypjh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
University of Bristol has had one case and anecdotally, from lecturer there, is going to online lectures on monday
Anonymous #6
Report 3 weeks ago
uni of westminster is online from the 23rd
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ROC10)
If I live with a family member who is at-risk, can I inform the university I wish to self-isolate?
short answer = Yes
Simbasoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by syrialove1981)
Well those people are the ones who should stay home seeing as they are the minority??
A little bit of "putting yourself in other people's shoes" in an uncertain time, might not go amiss.
Edge Hill University
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
We've created a topic in our forum with more information. Where possible we will try to answer enquiries, but we ask that students contact their lecturers for more specific information regarding courses.
OddOnes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
One of my exams at Birmingham is probably going to be made online and the other is potentially going to be changed to an assignment instead.

We have only just begun a module today. If the university closes we will have had barely any teaching for that module in person. I think they realise this which is why it may be an assignment instead.
Nuttyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
University of Manchester is remaining open as of yet. No announcements other than 'business as usual'. One of my lecture has been cancelled as the "speaker is concerned about travelling".

Our Dental school remains open and we're treating patients in the Dental Hospital as usual. Some clinical tutors have advised students to avoid treatments which create aerosols (fillings, scale n polish), but I've not been informed as of yet.
Last edited by Nuttyy; 3 weeks ago
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just the thing spread and get it over with. If anything of mine gets cancelled, I’m claiming a refund.
Anonymous #4
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
My understanding is that government advice is if you see yourself as at-risk (which with sever asthma you clearly are) then self-isolating is acceptable, and so you have grounds for mitigating circumstances. I would suggest you get the university to confirm whether or not this would be mitigating circumstances in your particular situation. If you could get this written in an email that could be more substantial further down the line if there are problems.
I don't think that has come into place yet, from what I heard yesterday, vulnerable people will be asked to self-isolate in the next stage. When I spoke to my uni, they said that as it wasn't in the guidelines they've had from the government, they could not consider my absences as grounds for mitigating circumstances.
I spoke to one of my tutors, though, and he seems just as concerned and told me there are meetings going on at the moment to see what happens.
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Durham have moved to online teaching from Monday and also adjusting other stuff. If you ask them the university is "open" but no entry to departmental or teaching buildings, only the library and college ones! My presentation worth 10% that was delayed due to strikes has now been cancelled and will be assessed from the slides alone...I'm gutted as you can tell :lol: Anedotely (well from one of my tutors), exams are very unlikely to be sat as planned now, they're looking for alternative assessment methods that don't involve hundreds of people sat in a room for several hours!
Post offer holder residential days have been cancelled for 10 days time too.
ngl having lost very little to strikes I'm kind of happy that term is ending a bit early and I can chill a little from losing 5 lots of homework. My singular summative is due next Friday so more time for that too. Can understand people who have lost loads to strikes being frustrated though!
MajorFader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
University of York are telling students to bring home personal items for Easter. Maths department have been emailing students on the possibility of self-isolation for exams.
Anonymous #7
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I'm a first year at UoM and I've heard rumours (i mean i saw a screenshot but it could be fake) about how they're urging third years to go and get books for their dissertations now and how they don't want to disclose anything about what's going to happen. Also my lecturer said today see you next week, possibly online so I don't think they've ruled it out completely. I feel the same as you pretty much. It's awful, I hope you're not too stressed, take care x
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
vicvic38 and Oxford Mum is Oxford Still open? (Just wondering)
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Exeter Uni just sent this to their students:

We are continuing to monitor the situation carefully. We remain open, but we are also preparing for eventualities that include a move to digital teaching, as well as full campus closure. We are approaching these decisions carefully and with guidance from the Government. We must consider the thousands of students for whom our campuses are home. We are keen to protect the learning outcomes of all of our students, as well as providing as much support as possible to our postgraduate researchers and academic colleagues. Many teams across the University are working together to plan for managing the impact of these decisions within our community.

Please continue to treat each other with kindness and compassion during this difficult time, and please respect the privacy of friends, colleagues and students. If you experience, or are witness to, any inappropriate behaviour please report it to the University via our Speak Out web pages. We will investigate and, where necessary, disciplinary procedures will be followed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (321)
34.22%
No (617)
65.78%

Watched Threads