Gent2324
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
ive got a bit of a dilemma and most of you have probably seen this problem before so im just going to list the pros and cons im aware of, and what i want out of the job, and if anyone can help with making a decision or add to the pros/cons id really appreciate it.

Also want to add that its an apprenticeship but the problem isnt really an apprenticeship issue hence why I didn't post it there.

Mid tier is on the lower end of the mid tier, its top 10 however.

Both firms are in really good locations and have the same training provider. I have an offer from both.

Mid tier firm:
- 4 year contract, ACA.
- smaller teams
- technically not an apprenticeship (it is not the level 7 course)

Big 4:
- 10% higher salary
- apprenticeship
- 5 year contract, level 3 AAT for year 1, level 4 AAT for year 2, ACA for years 3-5.

For the mid tier firm i do qualify a year earlier which is interesting. But im trying to figure out if the salary difference will make it worthwhile, obviously the big 4 has a higher salary but in 5 years will i have made more money from training at a mid tier and moving to big 4 for the last year as a qualified ACA vs spending all 5 years at the big 4?

Goals:
- high salary in the future
- good CV
- reasonable work life balance (neither firms seem to emphasise work-life balance)
- go into industry, ie accounting jobs at large banks
- Have good knowledge of a lot of aspects of finance in general, if i wanted to change role for instance.

Thanks.
HK4ZM1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Working in the mid tier firm, may have greater opportunities for you to grow as an auditor and shine within the firm since the teams are smaller and therefore competition is less.

The salary will even out in a couple years, it won’t be majorly different, so don’t use the salary as a comparison.
I recommend the mid tier. Your choice though

What firm is the mid tier?
Gent2324
Rep:
?
(Original post by HK4ZM1)
Working in the mid tier firm, may have greater opportunities for you to grow as an auditor and shine within the firm since the teams are smaller and therefore competition is less.

The salary will even out in a couple years, it won’t be majorly different, so don’t use the salary as a comparison.
I recommend the mid tier. Your choice though

What firm is the mid tier?
mazars, are you saying that once im qualified the salary will be the same?
HK4ZM1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gent2324)
mazars, are you saying that once im qualified the salary will be the same?
One of your goals is to get a good CV.
There will be more opportunities to stand out in Masada since there are smaller teams therefore less competition with colleagues, meaning that it may be easier to achieve outstanding work. Which can therefore be put on your CV, which can make it better
Your wage is determined by your skills, you may gain more skills in Mazars, if you have more opportunities to grow, this can impact your wage in the future.
Your wage will not be determined majorly from where you gained those skills.
HK4ZM1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In the future when your looking for a job, Firms will want someone with skills that can be implemented in their work place. If you have a better opportunity to gain those skills in Mazars due to being more opportunities, then this may be the deal breaker.
At the end of the day, it’s what you want to do not anyone else.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm caught! I can see the benefits of each. I think big 4 can matter a lot for banking etc, but the 4 year scheme might matter way, way more than you think. 5 years is long time to sign up for (albeit there is a get out of jail option after completing AAT).
Gent2324
Rep:
?
(Original post by HK4ZM1)
In the future when your looking for a job, Firms will want someone with skills that can be implemented in their work place. If you have a better opportunity to gain those skills in Mazars due to being more opportunities, then this may be the deal breaker.
At the end of the day, it’s what you want to do not anyone else.
interesting, but im unsure of whether i will actually gain more skills from mazars as it is still a large billion dollar company so im unsure if i will actually be able to do extra stuff and learn different things.

(Original post by ajj2000)
I'm caught! I can see the benefits of each. I think big 4 can matter a lot for banking etc, but the 4 year scheme might matter way, way more than you think. 5 years is long time to sign up for (albeit there is a get out of jail option after completing AAT).
yea thats why im very stuck, if the mid tier was 5 years too i probably would always pick big 4.

One thing ive found is looking at ACA jobs on finance websites for big banks, some do mention "ACA qualified preferrably at big 4" so maybe going to the big 4 will help me more getting into industry?
HK4ZM1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gent2324)
interesting, but im unsure of whether i will actually gain more skills from mazars as it is still a large billion dollar company so im unsure if i will actually be able to do extra stuff and learn different things.

yea thats why im very stuck, if the mid tier was 5 years too i probably would always pick big 4.

One thing ive found is looking at ACA jobs on finance websites for big banks, some do mention "ACA qualified preferrably at big 4" so maybe going to the big 4 will help me more getting into industry?
In all honesty, the big 4 will look better on your CV.

But you’ve got to compare the opportunities for growth aswell.
Possibly speak to previous apprentices, you can ask to do this through their student recruiter.
Compare their clients
See which firm will help you achieve the best skills, for the future.
Mosaic4
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just to throw a couple of other things in to the mix...

What support will you be getting from both firms for your qualification? Some students trip up on at least one module in a professional accountancy qualification. Do they both have the same policy on resits? Do they both give you the same sort of time to study?

Also look at what type of work experience you will be getting if you can. Do you get the chance to move around departments or try different things? The more experience you can get, the better accountant you will become. More practical work experience also helps with passing exams too as you can see things in practice as well as just learning the theory.
Gent2324
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mosaic4)
Just to throw a couple of other things in to the mix...

What support will you be getting from both firms for your qualification? Some students trip up on at least one module in a professional accountancy qualification. Do they both have the same policy on resits? Do they both give you the same sort of time to study?

Also look at what type of work experience you will be getting if you can. Do you get the chance to move around departments or try different things? The more experience you can get, the better accountant you will become. More practical work experience also helps with passing exams too as you can see things in practice as well as just learning the theory.
I know what the study leave policy is at the mid tier firm, don't know what the big 4 one is yet. I do know that the big 4 has 25 days holiday and the mid tier has 20. both have same policy on results , 1 resit . on Monday I'll probably call the big 4 about their study leave policy but it's probably on the contract when they send it.

neither firms give you chance to shift around departments, they are both audit and only audit.i prefer that personally because I can qualify quicker Vs doing loads of different departments.
Igotbbcalevel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
go big or go home. unless you have no chance of going big then just go home
Gent2324
Rep:
?
(Original post by Igotbbcalevel)
go big or go home. unless you have no chance of going big then just go home
??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed