Tory government simply not bothered enough to act

Watch
Treetop321
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/301397

If you care about the health of other people, I would recommend you sign this petition - Implement UK lockdown for preventing spread of COVID19.
hotchocolate66
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by WIGBLOWN)
Omg have some brain cells, whatever anti-Chinese raciest **** u say i can ignore, what about japan, South Korea. At this point you are just being ignorant using italy as an example, someone already replied you that they did it TOO LATE, but soon it will drop
You lack brain cells and real information. Those are facts about what the chinese government did. Go read some actual news than watching stupid propaganda. The chinese government also blamed HongKong for spreading rumours.
Stop trying to bring the racist angle when there isnt any. My friend is Chinese herself and she said the exact same thing to not believe them as they are still lying about slowing it down

You used China as an example that containment slowed it down. So why cant I use Italy?
Last edited by hotchocolate66; 2 weeks ago
Lionheartat20
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hotchocolate66)
You lack brain cells and real information. Those are facts about what the chinese government did. Go read some actual news than watching stupid propaganda. The chinese government also blamed HongKong for spreading rumours.
Stop trying to bring the racist angle when there isnt any. My friend is Chinese herself and she said the exact same thing to not believe them as they are still lying about slowing it down

You used China as an example that containment slowed it down. So why cant I use Italy?
You cannot use Italy as an example because the Nationwide Quarantine took place on 9th March. Death rates will only decline approximately 3 weeks from this date. This is because it will take 1 week for somebody to become symptomatic post-quarantine (we are only 4 days at the moment) - followed by 2 further weeks for death to occur.

"A study of these cases found that the median days from first symptom to death were 14 (range 6-41) days".
Source: https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ath-rate/#days

I believe I have answered all your questions with science and sources; rather than your 'friend' in China. I'll leave my wasted time at this.
Last edited by Lionheartat20; 2 weeks ago
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Lionheartat20)
You cannot use Italy as an example because the Nationwide Quarantine took place on 9th March. Death rates will only decline approximately 3 weeks from this date. This is because it will take 1 week for somebody to become symptomatic post-quarantine (we are only 4 days at the moment) - followed by 2 further weeks for death to occur.
Source: https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ath-rate/#days

I believe I have answered all your questions with science and sources; rather than your 'friend' in China. I'll leave my wasted time at this.
So you are trying to say whoever gets the virus dies? Where did you get this info from that once contracted, death occurs in 10 days?
nathan_nacu
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm pretty sure 500,000 people arent going to die.

Herd immunity is the one similar to measles before we got the vaccine for it.
The death rates are 0.2% just a rough estimate, and ppl will still die
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Things our lazy, indifferent, incompetent government are still not bothered enough to do.

* Public information on TV, radio and web, giving people strong advice about various social situations and practises.

* Widespread random testing.

* Shutting down of high-risk locations, such as fast food outlets, cinemas.

* Centralised control of critical supplies, such as painkillers, antiinflammatories, vital foods.

Boris and his ministers might be asleep on the job, but a more realistic interpretation is that behind the scenes they are concentrating on protecting themselves and their families and their rich buddies.
Treetop321
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
1,140 test positive and 21 deaths.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
A FoS prediction: as the death toll rises, Boris and the other government ministers will disappear from view and we will be briefed by medical civil servants with whatever lies they think will sound comforting.
zecretive
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Check today's stats. Italy doesn't have any new cases today, a few days into aggressive quarantine. Is Italy lying too?
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by zecretive)
Check today's stats. Italy doesn't have any new cases today, a few days into aggressive quarantine. Is Italy lying too?
It will have cases up again once the lockdown is lifted as you never know if the victim still has it or someone else got infected.
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It will have cases up again once the lockdown is lifted as you never know if the victim still has it or someone else got infected.
Do you genuinely not understand the point of quarantine measures or are you just so callous and cruel as to happily see thousands die to protect "the economy"? Yes it will still spread with quarantine measures, but cases will grow at a much slower rate than if we were to be business as usual - softening the load on our healthcare system and ensuring that fewer people die from it as well as buying time for the development of anti-viral medication to treat existing cases and a vaccine to prevent further outbreaks. Lockdown measures slow the spread and save lives.
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Do you genuinely not understand the point of quarantine measures or are you just so callous and cruel as to happily see thousands die to protect "the economy"? Yes it will still spread with quarantine measures, but cases will grow at a much slower rate than if we were to be business as usual - softening the load on our healthcare system and ensuring that fewer people die from it as well as buying time for the development of anti-viral medication to treat existing cases and a vaccine to prevent further outbreaks. Lockdown measures slow the spread and save lives.
No it doesnt. How long do you suggest lockdown? 6 months? 1 year?
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No it doesnt. How long do you suggest lockdown? 6 months? 1 year?
A few months should be sufficient to develop a vaccine, and yes, lockdown measures save lives by flattening the curve - death rates start to soar in a country when it spreads so rapidly that their healthcare service cannot handle the number of cases. Slow the spread, lower the burden on the NHS, ensure they can provide the care needed to keep as many alive as possible. The government is taking the exact opposite approach and will cause thousands of preventable deaths
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A few months should be sufficient to develop a vaccine, and yes, lockdown measures save lives by flattening the curve - death rates start to soar in a country when it spreads so rapidly that their healthcare service cannot handle the number of cases. Slow the spread, lower the burden on the NHS, ensure they can provide the care needed to keep as many alive as possible. The government is taking the exact opposite approach and will cause thousands of preventable deaths
Are you for real? You think lockdown for months, stalling the economy, destroying peoples lives by sabotaging their university studies and careers and leaving families starve to death with no money for bills to pay is sensible?
This virus isnt that dangerous omg. Most people recovered without any vaccine with just self isolation and normal flu medicine. Stop panicking and suggesting mindless measures which will literally destroy lives. The virus will go away but people will have 1 year of their future literally ruined
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Are you for real? You think lockdown for months, stalling the economy, destroying peoples lives by sabotaging their university studies and careers and leaving families starve to death with no money for bills to pay is sensible?
This virus isnt that dangerous omg. Most people recovered without any vaccine with just self isolation and normal flu medicine. Stop panicking and suggesting mindless measures which will literally destroy lives. The virus will go away but people will have 1 year of their future literally ruined
I think not murdering thousands of people is sensible yes. **** the economy, people need to understand it's a system we invented for ourselves and one we can throw out at any point - the economy is not real, the virus is. Starving to death can easily be avoided by not adhering to the death cult of free market capitalism: implementing rent reliefs and freezes, proper statutory sick pay etc.

The virus is far far deadlier than a normal flu and again, death rates soar when healthcare systems are overwhelmed, and ours will be quickly overwhelmed thanks to decades of mismanagement and a policy that is mass murder, no two ways about it: aiming for herd immunity at a disease that's hitting a 5%+ death rate where it has spread quickly (e.g. Wuhan) without a vaccine means taking the deaths of ~2.7m people in the UK as necessary (based on a 90% herd immunity level, 60% is nonsense). Not taking measures to slow the spread and thus keep the death rate lower is literally destroying lives by ending them, that is a far worse scenario than a few months of lockdown and those arguing otherwise, well they should just best hope it's not their loved ones or themselves that are the acceptable casualties in the eyes of this government
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Good grief. Not checked this thread for a while but not surprised some are in full on panic mode.

Every country is different: health care provision, method of access, cultural and mobility variables dictating how the virus spreads, demographic, climate, organisation, access to reliable statistics and science....to name a few.

This virus is unprecented. It's not helpful comparing it to Spanish flu or any other because once again the maturity of science, medical practices, media coverage, level of herd immunity, all play a part and are absolutely not the same.

No country has the answer, it's all an experiment. No health authority anywhere in the planet is prepared to deal with an explosion of this magnitude. The NHS is no different, but at least we have a functioning health care system everyone has access to. If there is any country I'd want to be in right now to ride this out, the U.K. has to be near or at the top of a short list.

Stop panicking, be sensible, take precautions and above all, don't be f***ing selfish. Keep Calm Carry On.
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think not murdering thousands of people is sensible yes. **** the economy, people need to understand it's a system we invented for ourselves and one we can throw out at any point - the economy is not real, the virus is. Starving to death can easily be avoided by not adhering to the death cult of free market capitalism: implementing rent reliefs and freezes, proper statutory sick pay etc.

The virus is far far deadlier than a normal flu and again, death rates soar when healthcare systems are overwhelmed, and ours will be quickly overwhelmed thanks to decades of mismanagement and a policy that is mass murder, no two ways about it: aiming for herd immunity at a disease that's hitting a 5%+ death rate where it has spread quickly (e.g. Wuhan) without a vaccine means taking the deaths of ~2.7m people in the UK as necessary (based on a 90% herd immunity level, 60% is nonsense). Not taking measures to slow the spread and thus keep the death rate lower is literally destroying lives by ending them, that is a far worse scenario than a few months of lockdown and those arguing otherwise, well they should just best hope it's not their loved ones or themselves that are the acceptable casualties in the eyes of this government
This flu is NOT Spanish flu or SARS.
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This flu is NOT Spanish flu or SARS.
Cool. Never said that anyway but A) it's not a flu, B) that's completely irrelevant when again we point out that it is quite deadly and again, death rates can be kept low by ensuring the healthcare system has the capacity to cope by slowing the spread wherever possible
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Cool. Never said that anyway but A) it's not a flu, B) that's completely irrelevant when again we point out that it is quite deadly and again, death rates can be kept low by ensuring the healthcare system has the capacity to cope by slowing the spread wherever possible
Pls educate about yourself about this disease than spew things as if it's like some monstrous disease with 100% mortality rate
Other_Owl
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
All Bojo cares about is the rich to avoid paying tax.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads