I handed in my first BTEC assignment today!

Watch
thatcollegegirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm so proud and feel so happy that I handed in my BTEC assignment today.

For someone who signed up to do all A Levels, I never thought I would be saying this.

A little backstory; I started college in September doing A Levels in History, Politics and Maths. Progress to October and History and Politics are going really well. I got an A in my first history essay and was having fun in politics. In maths I was drowning. Not in the workload, but in the content and lessons. In secondary school I never enjoyed maths per-say but I was persuaded to take the A Level by my maths teacher (who managed to win round my father) as I was originally going to do photography as my third A Level. October 18th and we have a maths test. The previous 6 weeks I dreaded going to maths. We had had a change-of-course week but it was the 2nd-3rd week of term so I thought it was just be adjusting to the 'big-leap'. During the maths test I froze; I had attempted some of the questions but my mental health had just been suffering and I had been drowning. I ended up crying silently and then walked out when the time was up and the teacher dismissed the class. That evening I had work, luckily I was washing the dirty plates, cups, etc (I work at a cafe) and I had a panic attack. It's a very small place so there were only 2 other people working and they were out the front. I messaged my boyfriend asking to meet me when I finished. It was only about an hour more. I managed to hold off until close and my bf met me outside. We got as far as the chippy at the end of the road when I just explained everything and burst into tears. He helped me to email college and what to say. The week following was tumultuous with one pupil mentor saying that I should just stay on cause I was one of her 'more-able' students. She was very rude to me and insisted that I couldnt change and if I took up something different in September and took a 3rd year . I may sound like I'm exaggerating but this woman seemed to be putting her desires/prestige of her more able group. At one point she said "you do want to go to a Russell Group right?" that kinda came out of nowhere and the assumption was very out of touch for how I was at that point. The issue was also the lack of possible spaces as well as how far they'd gotten into the course bearing in mind that this was mid October. All this went down on the day before my birthday and the day itself; although they weren't to know. There was a very helpful and supportive woman (who possessed more empathy) who managed to find that there was an opening for me in BTEC Applied law.

I will forever be grateful to both the law teacher and that other support lady. My first day of Applied Law was the 24th October, I was nervous but relieved that I had a second chance.

Our applied law course is 50% exam, 50% coursework. We had our exam (which is part of our grade) on January 8th. Now we had our assignment for Unit 2 and I couldn't be happier with my progress. I put so much hard work and effort into the assignment (which ended up being 31 pages long including references). I'm just happy that I'm settled and happy in college. I have been since returning from October Half term but now I'm just taking the time to appreciate it.

The BTEC I'm doing is the pearson subsidiary diploma in Applied Law (equivalent to 1 A Level)

If anyone wants to know, my GCSEs were:
English Literature - 6
English Language - 6
Maths - 7
Physics - 7
Chemistry - 5
Biology - 6
History - 8
Business - 5
Graphics - 7
Citizenship - 7
Last edited by thatcollegegirl; 3 weeks ago
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by thatcollegegirl)
I'm so proud and feel so happy that I handed in my BTEC assignment today.

For someone who signed up to do all A Levels, I never thought I would be saying this.

A little backstory; I started college in September doing A Levels in History, Politics and Maths. Progress to October and History and Politics are going really well. I got an A in my first history essay and was having fun in politics. In maths I was drowning. Not in the workload, but in the content and lessons. In secondary school I never enjoyed maths per-say but I was persuaded to take the A Level by my maths teacher (who managed to win round my father) as I was originally going to do photography as my third A Level. October 18th and we have a maths test. The previous 6 weeks I dreaded going to maths. We had had a change-of-course week but it was the 2nd-3rd week of term so I thought it was just be adjusting to the 'big-leap'. During the maths test I froze; I had attempted some of the questions but my mental health had just been suffering and I had been drowning. I ended up crying silently and then walked out when the time was up and the teacher dismissed the class. That evening I had work, luckily I was washing the dirty plates, cups, etc (I work at a cafe) and I had a panic attack. It's a very small place so there were only 2 other people working and they were out the front. I messaged my boyfriend asking to meet me when I finished. It was only about an hour more. I managed to hold off until close and my bf met me outside. We got as far as the chippy at the end of the road when I just explained everything and burst into tears. He helped me to email college and what to say. The week following was tumultuous with one pupil mentor saying that I should just stay on cause I was one of her 'more-able' students. She was very rude to me and insisted that I couldnt change and if I took up something different in September and took a 3rd year . I may sound like I'm exaggerating but this woman seemed to be putting her desires/prestige of her more able group. At one point she said "you do want to go to a Russell Group right?" that kinda came out of nowhere and the assumption was very out of touch for how I was at that point. The issue was also the lack of possible spaces as well as how far they'd gotten into the course bearing in mind that this was mid October. All this went down on the day before my birthday and the day itself; although they weren't to know. There was a very helpful and supportive woman (who possessed more empathy) who managed to find that there was an opening for me in BTEC Applied law.

I will forever be grateful to both the law teacher and that other support lady. My first day of Applied Law was the 24th October, I was nervous but relieved that I had a second chance.

Our applied law course is 50% exam, 50% coursework. We had our exam (which is part of our grade) on January 8th. Now we had our assignment for Unit 2 and I couldn't be happier with my progress. I put so much hard work and effort into the assignment (which ended up being 31 pages long including references). I'm just happy that I'm settled and happy in college. I have been since returning from October Half term but now I'm just taking the time to appreciate it.

The BTEC I'm doing is the pearson subsidiary diploma in Applied Law (equivalent to 1 A Level)

If anyone wants to know, my GCSEs were:
English Literature - 6
English Language - 6
Maths - 7
Physics - 7
Chemistry - 5
Biology - 6
History - 8
Business - 5
Graphics - 7
Citizenship - 7
Hey, it sounds like you've been through a lot! But this makes me so happy to read and I would love to keep up with your progress for the rest of your course

Keep up the amazing work! :yes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (341)
34.8%
No (639)
65.2%

Watched Threads