Maxel.1566
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Got the email from my university saying the rest of the year is cancelled and exams will be online as I'm sure many of you all have, I'm very curious about how it would be done such as how cheating would be prevented? What time scale they would be done like at a set time etc, was hoping anyone who may have done some sort of online exam can share some insight on what to expect as I really have a lot of questions about them
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think the uni's are all still discussing this
I'm in a similar situation and have been told mine will be open book
The uni should be able to set a time limit on the actual paper to log you out after the set time I assume?
Maxel.1566
Rep:
?
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
I think the uni's are all still discussing this
I'm in a similar situation and have been told mine will be open book
The uni should be able to set a time limit on the actual paper to log you out after the set time I assume?
Yeah I read somewhere someone had one and they were basically given 24 hours to do it, so like they were given the paper 24 hours before it was due and had to finnish it in that time, but I dont understand how they wont stop people from cheating or getting someone smart to take the exam for them
Maxel.1566
Rep:
?
Also would it not be so easy to just say you had a problem with you computer or maybe dont even have a computer which prevented you from doing exams, I just feel like it's a bad idea that wont work, they might as well just no have exams
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Maxel.1566)
Yeah I read somewhere someone had one and they were basically given 24 hours to do it, so like they were given the paper 24 hours before it was due and had to finnish it in that time, but I dont understand how they wont stop people from cheating or getting someone smart to take the exam for them
Well mine is open book as I said. I reckon they will make my questions more difficult and require critical thinking and not be able to google them.
Yes, you could but tbh unless you know someone who has graduated in your degree its a bit difficult

(Original post by Maxel.1566)
Also would it not be so easy to just say you had a problem with you computer or maybe dont even have a computer which prevented you from doing exams, I just feel like it's a bad idea that wont work, they might as well just no have exams
Uni's have computers, they have a library. It wouldn't really be an excuse as hypothetically you could still stay at the uni

Yes, they may as well have no exams. My uni all exams for first and second year are cancelled apart from degrees in which you need to pass the year to move on (like health care degrees)
zetamcfc
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Uni's have computers, they have a library. It wouldn't really be an excuse as hypothetically you could still stay at the uni
They would have to be designated exam computer though surely? As in exam season it is hard to find space in libraries let alone a computer. Online exam at least for my subject maths would be bordering on ridiculous as the difficulty of the questions would have to sky-rocket to take into account that everyone will use online resources.
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by zetamcfc)
They would have to be designated exam computer though surely? As in exam season it is hard to find space in libraries let alone a computer. Online exam at least for my subject maths would be bordering on ridiculous as the difficulty of the questions would have to sky-rocket to take into account that everyone will use online resources.
No, if people can sit them at home then they don't need a dedicated exam computer.
Yes it is hard to find space, but compared to previous years my uni library is very empty and its quite easy to find seats right now. Plus with people going home it shouldn't be a major problem

True, they may take into account the difficulty in other ways by changing time limits

At the moment we just don't know
issawrap
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It will be open book, and yes, there will be cheating. But there's not much that can be done about this. So, it is what it is.
KR1215
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi all, the only thing which concerns me about online exams is - how can a technical module on engineering course could be subject to online exam. Let's say that it actually is and we end up with a mathematical/engineering problem (which requires knowledge of relevant concept in order to be solved), where there is multiple choice answers. What will happen, considering all the AI, is everyone will use automated approach to reach the final result of the question (even I would do that) and the majority will score results they only have been dreaming for. Please, someone do share if he/she has experience on online examinations from technical engineering subjects.
Mustafa0605
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, if people can sit them at home then they don't need a dedicated exam computer.
Yes it is hard to find space, but compared to previous years my uni library is very empty and its quite easy to find seats right now. Plus with people going home it shouldn't be a major problem

True, they may take into account the difficulty in other ways by changing time limits

At the moment we just don't know
My uni closed all the libraries and buildings
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.68%
No (64)
38.32%

Watched Threads