The Student Room Group

Foreign Law graduate about to take the barrister route - yay or nay?

I'm a foreign law graduate. I graduated with good grades (3.8/4.0 gpa). I'm considering applying to the GDL programs in order to qualify for the Bar Training Course. The ultimate goal is to register and practice as barrister in England. Would the members of this group advise me as to whether it is possible for a foreign law graduate to land a pupillage after completion of the academic component? Which of the providers should I choose? Anything else that you might want to tell me?

Looking forward to reading your replies.
It is hard whether you are from the UK or not to obtain a pupilage unless are exceptional but doing the GDL would also give you the chance to consider becoming a UK solicitor too so keeps both options open. I believe they are about to allow fewer to take the Bar course as too many people are doing it who have no chance of a pupillage. There are some changes to how solicitors and barristers will qualify in England which you may want to look up to see if you want to come under the existing system or wait for the new one.

London BPP's pGDL is good - used by many of the best London law firms and probably a lot of good potential barristers too (if you can afford to live in London).
Reply 2
Thank you for the response. What are these new changes? Do you have a link, or some keywords so I may be able to look it up in detail?

Original post by 17Student17
It is hard whether you are from the UK or not to obtain a pupilage unless are exceptional but doing the GDL would also give you the chance to consider becoming a UK solicitor too so keeps both options open. I believe they are about to allow fewer to take the Bar course as too many people are doing it who have no chance of a pupillage. There are some changes to how solicitors and barristers will qualify in England which you may want to look up to see if you want to come under the existing system or wait for the new one.

London BPP's pGDL is good - used by many of the best London law firms and probably a lot of good potential barristers too (if you can afford to live in London).
If you have a look on this https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/bppassets/public/assets/pdf/brochures/Profession-guides-Law-PG-Brochure-2020.pdf about page 5 or 7 - You pathways ...it shows changes for solicitors. I am more familiar with those as my son starts the GDL this September and that is his plan.
However you are interested in the bar not being a solicitor so I will not write about solicitorst.

For barristers
I found this "From September 2020, the BPTC will be replaced by a number of courses, some of which may be split into two parts or may incorporate study for an undergraduate degree to cover the academic component of training. We will publish information on these new courses on our website.

During the vocational component, students must also attend qualifying sessions with their Inn of Court. These are professional development events of an educational and collegiate nature which are arranged by or on behalf of an Inn.

If you successfully complete the vocational component of training, you are Called to the Bar by your Inn. However, you may not practise as a barrister until you have completed the pupillage/work-based learning component.

For more information about the vocational component, visit this webpage. The rules and requirements relating to the vocational component of training can be found in Part 2 of the Bar Qualification Manual ." https://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk/training-qualification/becoming-a-barrister.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending