A Level Maths (intl) : Mechanics or Stats?

Watch
hmm-what
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have to choose between mechanics 2 and stats 1 for A level. Have already taken Decision out of the equation. What are the pros and cons of mechanics vs stats?
Last edited by hmm-what; 1 year ago
DoNotMove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hmm-what)
I have to choose between mechanics 2 and stats 2 for A level. Have already taken Decision out of the equation. What are the pros and cons of mechanics vs stats?
Mechanics will be easier if you take other science subjects (Bio, Chem, Physics)
Statistics will be easier if you're stronger at pure maths or possibly Economics. If you don't take science subjects I would recommend statistics as it will be more useful in life or university than Mechanics, which is only really applicable to Science or Engineering degrees.
David Getling
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hmm-what)
I have to choose between mechanics 2 and stats 2 for A level. Have already taken Decision out of the equation. What are the pros and cons of mechanics vs stats?
Taking decision maths out of the mix is very wise, as most students struggle with time issues to complete a really good exam paper.

I teach both mechanics and statistics, and at school level I would say that mechanics is a bit more interesting. Statistics is very much monkey see, monkey do, and while mechanics is really very methodical I would say it involves a little more thinking.

The other consideration is what other A-levels you are doing, and what you hope to do afterwards. If you are doing physics then mechanics is probably the better choice, whereas statistics might be more useful if you are doing biology. Of course this is an oversimplification, because at university we have statistical mechanics in physics, and in some areas of biology, like looking at how muscles work, mechanics can be useful.
hmm-what
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you for all of the input.
I've previously found kinematics and more physics-like elements of maths easier, but I worry that if I don't take any stats modules that I would struggle in the maths used in bio and chemistry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.21%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.03%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.03%
I need help with my personal statement (68)
42.77%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (38)
23.9%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.89%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
8.18%

Watched Threads