The Student Room Group

Starting Homeschooling in Year 10

I'm currently halfway through year 10 and was thinking about homeschooling. I have a few questions:
1. The AQA English speaking exam that happens in year 10? I know nothing about it
2. How to study for AQA French, especially for the speaking.
3. In school, I'm currently doing OCR b History and if I were to homeschool, I would have to do AQA History but there are no textbooks for certain sections of the paper. For example, I would like to do conflict and tension in the Gulf and Afghanistan (for Paper 1, Section B) but there are no textbooks. On the AQA website, there is a 30-page teaching guide but I don't know if it is sufficient.
4. Also for English language, Literature, and History how would I know what grade I would get if I did a past paper because obviously there is no set answer?

Any help would be appreciated
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Why do you want to homeschool? These are only some of the disadvantages you'll face.
Reply 2
Original post by ThomH97
Why do you want to homeschool? These are only some of the disadvantages you'll face.

Because my school has too many cover teachers or teachers who cannot teach properly. For maths, triple science and a lot of English I already self teach myself everything. Going to school just wastes a lot of my time and I can't study in a classroom when students throw things around, talk all lessons and distract me - it's not the best learning environment. Also, I pick things up faster than others so a lot of time is just wasted at school waiting for others. My maths class is top set yet most of the class doesn't know basic things and my teacher won't let me learn more and push myself because 'it isn't part of the curriculum' hence why I teach myself more at home. If I were homeschooled I would probably learn and progress a lot more than at school.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MissZ123
Because my school has too many cover teachers or teachers who cannot teach properly. For maths, triple science and a lot of English I already self teach myself everything. Going to school just wastes a lot of my time and I can't study in a classroom when students throw things around, talk all lessons and distract me - it's not the best learning environment. Also, I pick things up faster than others so a lot of time is just wasted at school waiting for others. My maths class is top set yet most of the class doesn't know basic things and my teacher won't let me learn more and push myself because 'it isn't part of the curriculum' hence why I teach myself more at home. If I were homeschooled I would probably learn and progress a lot more than at school.

Fair enough. You do seem to be describing self teaching than home schooling though. What do your parents think and would they get you a tutor to guide you through the things you might get stuck on?
Reply 4
My parents just want whatever is best for me. I just really need those questions answered asap.
Reply 5
My parents just want whatever is best for me. I just really need those questions answered asap.

You will need a good tutor who has knowledge of the syllabus and exam technique (these are the first 'real' exams you're teaching) for each of the subjects you want to do well in, unless you are already exceptional at them.
At this point, deciding to homeschool would be a very expensive decision. This is why most homeschooled students only do maths and English GCSEs. If you stay enrolled in school, they will be paying for all of your exams at the end of year 11.
You might be right that you would learn as much from home, but you won’t have the qualifications to prove it. What are you thinking of doing when you turn 16? If you want to do A levels, it would be a good idea to ask local colleges how many qualifications they would require from a homeschooled applicant, and work out how expensive this would be.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Dancer2001
At this point, deciding to homeschool would be a very expensive decision. This is why most homeschooled students only do maths and English GCSEs. If you stay enrolled in school, they will be paying for all of your exams at the end of year 11.
You might be right that you would learn as much from home, but you won’t have the qualifications to prove it. What are you thinking of doing when you turn 16? If you want to do A levels, it would be a good idea to ask local colleges how many qualifications they would require from a homeschooled applicant, and work out how expensive this would be.

Thanks for the reply. How expensive would it be? If it’s just the cost of the exams and books I don’t mind. I wont need a tutor

What do you mean by ‘you won’t have the qualifications to prove it’ Isn’t that the GCSE’s?

I just need my questions answered asap.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ThomH97
You will need a good tutor who has knowledge of the syllabus and exam technique (these are the first 'real' exams you're teaching) for each of the subjects you want to do well in, unless you are already exceptional at them.

Thanks for the reply. I won’t need a tutor as I already know what I need to do. The things that I don’t know, I have asked above.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thanks for the reply. How expensive would it be? If it’s just the cost of the exams and books I don’t mind. I wont need a tutor

What do you mean by ‘you won’t have the qualifications to prove it’ Isn’t that the GCSE’s?

I just need my questions answered asap.

Exams are generally about £30-£40 per paper, but your exam centre might charge an extra fee. For example, £150 is quite a common amount to pay for GCSE maths.
I’m not sure if speaking exams are more expensive. Remember that there are a lot of papers if you want to sit loads of GCSEs though. I took 11 and had 23 exams, which would have been at least around £700.
You would probably be fine without a tutor for maths and science subjects, but it’s harder for English and History. This is because you can’t easily mark your own work, so it’s very difficult to improve your essay skills without outside help.
When I said you won’t have the qualifications, I just mean if you took exams for 2-5 GCSEs instead of the usual 8-11.
Reply 10
Original post by Dancer2001
Exams are generally about £30-£40 per paper, but your exam centre might charge an extra fee. For example, £150 is quite a common amount to pay for GCSE maths.
I’m not sure if speaking exams are more expensive. Remember that there are a lot of papers if you want to sit loads of GCSEs though. I took 11 and had 23 exams, which would have been at least around £700.
You would probably be fine without a tutor for maths and science subjects, but it’s harder for English and History. This is because you can’t easily mark your own work, so it’s very difficult to improve your essay skills without outside help.
When I said you won’t have the qualifications, I just mean if you took exams for 2-5 GCSEs instead of the usual 8-11.

Thank you!
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm currently halfway through year 10 and was thinking about homeschooling. I have a few questions:
1. The AQA English speaking exam that happens in year 10? I know nothing about it
2. How to study for AQA French, especially for the speaking.
3. In school, I'm currently doing OCR b History and if I were to homeschool, I would have to do AQA History but there are no textbooks for certain sections of the paper. For example, I would like to do conflict and tension in the Gulf and Afghanistan (for Paper 1, Section B) but there are no textbooks. On the AQA website, there is a 30-page teaching guide but I don't know if it is sufficient.
4. Also for English language, Literature, and History how would I know what grade I would get if I did a past paper because obviously there is no set answer?

Any help would be appreciated

Hi, how did homeschooling go for you and what did you end up doing? Also how did you get started and do you have any tips?

Quick Reply

Latest