The Student Room Group

Why is 21 considered a 'mature student'?

I don't think 21 should have that label to be honest. 21 is closer to the 18 year olds than the real 'mature' students who work and have a family and all.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't think 21 should have that label to be honest. 21 is closer to the 18 year olds than the real 'mature' students who work and have a family and all.

What is so controversial about your opinion that you hide away as anonymous???
Original post by ageshallnot

Sorry I'm not adding anytihng to OP's question, but what difference does it make if someone is "Anonymous" or if they have some random username (that is still anonymous)?
I never udnerstand these people who say "hide behind anonymous". It's not like you're not anonymous - I can't find who you are from "ageshallnot"
Reply 3
Sorry I'm not adding anytihng to OP's question, but what difference does it make if someone is "Anonymous" or if they have some random username (that is still anonymous)?
I never udnerstand these people who say "hide behind anonymous". It's not like you're not anonymous - I can't find who you are from "ageshallnot"

Haha, thanks.

The reason I use anonymous is so that I can't be identified by certain posts on here. E.g. this one that tells people I'm 21. I want this personal info separate from my non-personal posts, so that dots can't be connected.

They don’t want to be outed as a MATURE student. Hello Mr/Mrs MATURE 🧓 student.
Reply 5
I think mature students are the ones who realise their responsibilities. It isn't limited to an age.
Because most undergrads graduate by/at 21. So, 21+ is the minority/older than most university students.

If you post anonymously no-one can check your history to evaluate what type of poster you are.. Habitual wind-up merchants or trolls can be safely disregarded; the opinions of first-time posters can be viewed with suspicion; contrastingly, posts from people with a proven track record should be given more weight.
Reply 8
If you post anonymously no-one can check your history to evaluate what type of poster you are.. Habitual wind-up merchants or trolls can be safely disregarded; the opinions of first-time posters can be viewed with suspicion; contrastingly, posts from people with a proven track record should be given more weight.

How does this relate to my post

There's nothing trollish about my post, there's no need to see my post history.

Look above for my reasons for using the anon function
Haha, thanks.

The reason I use anonymous is so that I can't be identified by certain posts on here. E.g. this one that tells people I'm 21. I want this personal info separate from my non-personal posts, so that dots can't be connected.

I love connecting dots, it's how I spot so many trolls and get them banned. I'm not saying that you're one, btw, but I still think it's a poor use of the anonymous function.
Well at age 21 you haven’t just left school.
Ahh just shut up you schmuck.. can you not respect the person's choice of using anon?

No, because anon is abused frequently.
No, because anon is abused frequently.

It may be abused but that doesn't make it right to make it a problem when anyone uses it...
It may be abused but that doesn't make it right to make it a problem when anyone uses it...

I had every right to raise it as an issue, just as you had the right to post in the first place.

21 is the age used by admissions and student records because at that age it is likely that applicants/students will have a more varied academic background and other experiences/responsibilities. Many universities have different admissions processes for applicants who have been out of formal education for more than 2 years - 21 pretty much ties up with that age in most cases.

SFE uses a different definition (25+).

Generally “mature” (or not) isn’t something that actually means anything to a student - it’s like gender and ethnicity - something used to identify if there are problems with the way a university is doing things that disadvantages a specific group of people.
I mean you could be 21 and still be immature.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending