trouble deciding which a levels to pursue.

Watch this thread
aventine
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
latin, classical civ and... what?

ancient history is the third I have, since it's most suitable to a classics-centered study, but...

I find I don't keep up with it as easily. could this be for lack of enjoyment? but I keep thinking of english literature, how it is such a valuable a level to have, and so highly-esteemed...

would it be wiser to discard ancient history in favour of english literature, purely for advantage when it comes to university?

I find english literature... okay. I love to read, I love to analyse, but I find my heels go in when it's a piece I don't enjoy. and I've glanced through the spec for both ocr and aqa and I find ocr the more merciful. still, I'm not sure. there is a part of me loves english literature and a part that truly hates it.

what would you advise? I'm self-studying, so it's all the same to me, but I do feel that, from what I've heard from others, english literature is a unique field of study that teaches you to appreciate literature in a way that you wouldn't be able to otherwise. and I do love literature (just, as I've said, literature that is to my own liking, which makes it difficult for me at times to settle with something I don't enjoy)...

I would appreciate any input, any pointers, anything at all. if you've studied either or, tell me, do you feel it's essential on a personal or academic level? would it better replace ancient history? or shall I stick with the three I have?
DoNotMove
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by aventine)
latin, classical civ and... what?

ancient history is the third I have, since it's most suitable to a classics-centered study, but...

I find I don't keep up with it as easily. could this be for lack of enjoyment? but I keep thinking of english literature, how it is such a valuable a level to have, and so highly-esteemed...

would it be wiser to discard ancient history in favour of english literature, purely for advantage when it comes to university?

I find english literature... okay. I love to read, I love to analyse, but I find my heels go in when it's a piece I don't enjoy. and I've glanced through the spec for both ocr and aqa and I find ocr the more merciful. still, I'm not sure. there is a part of me loves english literature and a part that truly hates it.

what would you advise? I'm self-studying, so it's all the same to me, but I do feel that, from what I've heard from others, english literature is a unique field of study that teaches you to appreciate literature in a way that you wouldn't be able to otherwise. and I do love literature (just, as I've said, literature that is to my own liking, which makes it difficult for me at times to settle with something I don't enjoy)...

I would appreciate any input, any pointers, anything at all. if you've studied either or, tell me, do you feel it's essential on a personal or academic level? would it better replace ancient history? or shall I stick with the three I have?
I would definitely go for English Literature, as you seem to enjoy it more than Ancient History. You mentiont you will be self-studying - have you consider how you are going to tackle coursework elements of any courses, as I am fairly sure English Literature has this. However, as you are self-studying you will be able to choose at least some of the texts you are studying, so this will mean you are more likely to enjoy it. Your A-Levels ought to be at least somewhat related to the kind of subject you're wanting to take at university (for example, I wouldn't recommend taking Chemistry, or Drama) but I think English Literature is a close enough subject to your area of study, and may also help you with the analysing and essay-writing elements of your other subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (23)
33.33%
They're exactly what I expected (21)
30.43%