Sidd1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I always struggle with these kind've questions.... I thought the answer was D but why is it C??
Last edited by Sidd1; 7 months ago
gongoozled goose
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
3s is higher energy level than 2p
The third quantum shell has higher energy level than second quantum shell
Edit: nvm this is wrong :emo:
Last edited by gongoozled goose; 7 months ago
Claisen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre)
because more shielded so the nuclear attraction is reduced
gongoozled goose
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Claisen)
because more shielded so the nuclear attraction is reduced
True! That too! :ta:
Edit : nvm i explained it wrong :/
Sidd1
Rep:
?
Edit:
The third quantum shell has higher energy level than second quantum shell
Okay.... but can I not also assume that for C since 2p is in a higher energy level than 2s??
united4
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Sidd1)
Okay.... but can I not also assume that for C since 2p is in a higher energy level than 2s??
Yes 2p has a higher energy than 2s and is repelled more however this does not outweigh the answer for d
Sidd1
Rep:
?
(Original post by united4)
Yes 2p has a higher energy than 2s and is repelled more however this does not outweigh the answer for d
Okay, well thank you!
username5211340
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Does the mark scheme say D?
Sidd1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chemastronomical)
Does the mark scheme say D?
No sorry I thought it was D but turns out its C. It was my mistake sorry I don't know why I said the answer was D lol instead of C
Last edited by Sidd1; 7 months ago
gongoozled goose
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Sidd1)
No sorry I thought it was D but turns out its C. It was my mistake sorry I don't know why I said the answer was D lol instead of C
I'm sorry as well lol xD
I think the reason should go like Ne having all of its quantum shell filled is much more stable than unfilled quantum shell of Mg
username5211340
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The answer is C, the best way to tackle these sort of questions is write out what each atom is, find it’s place on the periodic table and look for the trend. Ionisation energy tends to relate to atomic radii, the smaller the radii the higher the IE, you can look into something called effective nuclear charge which talks about shielding and something called penetration. But back to the question, the answer is C because as you know as you go along the period, the nuclear radii drops which means a higher overall IE, of course you have some exceptions to this such as aluminium and sulphur, but don’t worry about these kinda questions too much, I’m assuming it’s a 1 marker? (Haven’t done a level chemistry in over 5 years).
Last edited by username5211340; 7 months ago
Sidd1
Rep:
?
The answer is C, the best way to tackle these sort of questions is write out what each atom is, find it’s place on the periodic table and look for the trend. Ionisation energy tends to relate to atomic radii, the smaller the radii the higher the IE, you can look into something called effective nuclear charge which talks about shielding and something called penetration. But back to the question, the answer is C because as you know as you go along the period, the nuclear radii drops which means a higher overall IE, of course you have some exceptions to this such as aluminium and sulphur, but don’t worry about these kinda questions too much, I’m assuming it’s a 1 marker? (Haven’t done a level chemistry in over 5 years).
Yes it is a 1 marker - part of the multiple choice questions which come up in paper 1 for the OCR A spec. Your explanation does make sense though so thank you
username5211340
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Sidd1)
Yes it is a 1 marker - part of the multiple choice questions which come up in paper 1 for the OCR A spec. Your explanation does make sense though so thank you
Yeah thought it would be, they had these sneaky questions when I sat my exams. Don’t worry about it too much, spend your time on the questions that have higher marks. Also if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
Sidd1
Rep:
?
Yeah thought it would be, they had these sneaky questions when I sat my exams. Don’t worry about it too much, spend your time on the questions that have higher marks. Also if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
Yes, I definitely will
username5211340
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'm sorry as well lol xD
I think the reason should go like Ne having all of its quantum shell filled is much more stable than unfilled quantum shell of Mg
Always try the simplest method initially, it’s about atomic radii and ionising, those two go hand in hand!
gongoozled goose
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Always try the simplest method initially, it’s about atomic radii and ionising, those two go hand in hand!
:ta: true that!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (50)
37.31%
No (70)
52.24%
I don't know (14)
10.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed