Would the government ever allow Lloyds bank to collapse?

Watch
Fruli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
Anyway OP a bank might be saved while the ordinary shareholders get little or nothing back - they're at the back end of the queue... you should make sure you understand that before buying shares in distressed companies.
Interesting. Thanks for that info. A friend of mine bought loads of Lloyds and RBS shares at their lowest in 2008 starting with a 1k investment which his dad gave him specifically for the purpose of learning the stocks market. From the period of 2008 - 2014 his investment grew to something like 15k. It’s what actually got me interested in buying shares.

Both Lloyds and RBS were bailed out, but obviously the government started selling off their share and that’s why he made money.

Anyway, I bought £450 worth of shares on Monday from Lloyds and Barclays. I hope I don’t regret it. I’m praying a vaccine is around the corner.
Fruli
Rep:
?
Anyway OP a bank might be saved while the ordinary shareholders get little or nothing back - they're at the back end of the queue... you should make sure you understand that before buying shares in distressed companies.
I also once wasted some money on a company called Monitise which went bust. It was an AIM share. One has to live and learn!

It seems buying from FTSE companies is more sensible as they are more stable. I’ve considered buying Centrica shares too.

One of my biggest regrets is not buying Boohoo shares when the IPO was launched. I’d been following the media coverage, but I didn’t have the confidence to buy.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fruli)
Interesting. Thanks for that info. A friend of mine bought loads of Lloyds and RBS shares at their lowest in 2008 starting with a 1k investment which his dad gave him specifically for the purpose of learning the stocks market. From the period of 2008 - 2014 his investment grew to something like 15k. It’s what actually got me interested in buying shares.

Both Lloyds and RBS were bailed out, but obviously the government started selling off their share and that’s why he made money.

Anyway, I bought £450 worth of shares on Monday from Lloyds and Barclays. I hope I don’t regret it. I’m praying a vaccine is around the corner.
RBS is now at the same price as its financial crash low.

Buying and holding RBS and LLOY would have made nothing like a 15x return.
Fruli
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
RBS is now at the same price as its financial crash low.

Buying and holding RBS and LLOY would have made nothing like a 15x return.
I’m referring to the period between 2008 and 2014. I don’t know what his shares are worth now.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fruli)
I’m referring to the period between 2008 and 2014. I don’t know what his shares are worth now.
Yes....
The Lloyd's crisis low was 17p, the highest they got to in 2014 was 83p. So 5x

RBS had a low of 117p in the crisis (post share consolidation value), highest in 2014 was about 365p. So 3x

How did 15x happen?
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Seems unlikely that as a shareholder you benefited from the bailout
Conventional wisdom is that the shareholders got nothing per share out of nationalisation https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7946586.html

queues formed September 2007, nationalisation happened Feb 2008
I made 180 quid in a week. I might of exaggerated at a mint
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.08%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (175)
9.83%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.08%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.88%

Watched Threads