My dream is to be a football manager but I know it's a long shot

Watch
itzztheman
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
As a kid, I really wanted to be a computer scientist. I loved to code and create programs. As I got older, I started playing sports, in particular football. Last year, I quit playing for my local Saturday league team (to start focusing on GCSEs; I'm in y10) but I took up refereeing games. However, I've really wanted to be a manager ever since I found the game Football Manager in Y7. I've bought it every 2 years since then, much to the dismay of my parents who want me to study instead of play games.

The thing is, even though I still want to be a computer scientist, I just want to be a manager more. Not to brag, but I think I could be one when I am older. I'm really good at predicting scorelines and I make a lot of (mental) notes when watching matches on TV. I went to an FA futures course in the half term and we ended up doing a tournament. Each team had to appoint a manager, and I got appointed. My team ended up winning the 4 team tournament, and it made me think about what opportunities I could get when I'm older.

I haven't told my parents about my dream yet simply because they'll probably just tell me to focus on other paths. However, I look at people like Jose Mourinho and just aim to reach that level.

I want to know if there are any opportunities for people like me. I always hope I can get chances like these, but the fact there are currently a very low amount of black managers in the game right now doesn't bode well for me. I hope that in the future I can be one of the first (not the first, hopefully someone will be there before me!) successful BAME managers in football.

To reiterate, I'm looking for opportunities in coaching or management for myself. I am 14 (15 in July) and would like to get info on how to get into the footballing world. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by itzztheman; 3 weeks ago
username2646039
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It’s not impossible if you put your mind to it it’ll happen I have 2 professional footballers in my family and 1 referee all play on tv
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Most football managers are much of a muchness. They all have their coaching badges and understand the tactical aspects of the game, but what separates them is the networking that they have done. Even at the lowest levels, the managers have contacts who can provide loanees or transfers. They made these networks by playing at a high level in the first place. There are very few successful managers who have not played at a high level.
itzztheman
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by charco)
There are very few successful managers who have not played at a high level.
Yeah, but I'm dead at football - there is no chance of me playing at a high level. I want to know ways I can become one without being a professional footballer.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Forget it.
1. The players you coach will have little respect for someone without their experience.
2. You are unlikely to understand the issues that a pro-footballer faces - or even if you do, they will not be convinced.
3. You will be in competition with a huge pool of ex-pros who want to do the same job.
COYSCOYS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sarri became a football manager having not played professionally. He was a banker first. I suppose the lesson there is to crack on with a more conventional career and try to coach football on the side. If you love coaching you'll enjoy it whether it's a pub league team or a Premier League one.
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by itzztheman)
Yeah, but I'm dead at football - there is no chance of me playing at a high level. I want to know ways I can become one without being a professional footballer.
Southampton ( Solent) university have some courses dedicated to football business and management.
Some are run by Burnley fc.
that may be an option for a way in to the football business in general
angelike1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If it's something you enjoy then go for it.
l2bunny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Im 18 and have been coaching for 2 years

Start with a career and coach along it

work your self up and break through.
dannybjarkason
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hey buddy, drop me a dm and we can discuss this in depth
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (339)
34.7%
No (638)
65.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed