bethyh1996
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi all,
I have an interview coming up for a teaching position, i have my lesson plan all sorted but would really appreciate some general interview tips.
bluebeetle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For my NQT interview, I found the following useful:
- taking some quick notes in a spare moment after the lesson on what went well, what could be improved, just so I didn't forget about it when it came to the actual interview
- whatever topic they give you to teach, be prepared to discuss prior knowledge needed and what the next steps would be after your lesson
- bring copies of the lesson in many different formats (powerpoint, activinspire, printed PDF just in case) and have a starter activity that's printed in case of technical issues
- pause and think after you're asked a question, don't rush in
- as an NQT, a good question to ask when they ask if you have any questions is, "What support do you have in place for NQTs?"

One of the key things is to be friendly and chatty to anyone in the department that you meet, and to other interviewees. Recently, my school interviewed for a new teacher and I got to see the process I went through as an NQT but from the other perspective. There was one guy who was quite nice to us, but it was obvious he kept trying to one-up the other people being interviewed, and wasn't so nice to them. When the head of department asked us what we thought of everyone after the lessons but before the interviews, we all said that he didn't seem like somebody we'd want to work with, and I think that swayed things a bit.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bluebeetle)
- as an NQT, a good question to ask when they ask if you have any questions is, "What support do you have in place for NQTs?"
Which is a great question. And if they stutter and fumble on this avoid the school like the plague. NQTs are entitled to 1 hour of mentoring a week plus weekly CPD sessions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (289)
34.2%
No (556)
65.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed