Is it possible to do A level physics without maths?

Watch
mxlika
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I really struggle with maths so taking it as an A level just isn't it but I'm quiet strong in my sciences would i still be able to do it?
Mr.noname
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
As someone who has done A level Physics, Maths, and FMaths, I can offer some insight. Generally, you don't *need* maths, but I feel that you need to be mathematically capable for an A*. According to Edexcel's specification(probably similar for other exam boards), the entire A level exam is composed of 40% maths ( in the context of physics of course ), so being good at maths is definitely helpful. The math content in the new specification is also harder than what you would have learnt in the old spec. But A level Physics is so much more interesting than GCSE physics. The content is much more conceptual and not as basic. My advice is you should take physics to begin with, and drop it if you feel like it is not for you.
David Getling
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by mxlika)
I really struggle with maths so taking it as an A level just isn't it but I'm quiet strong in my sciences would i still be able to do it?
It is certainly possible, but having maths is definitely an advantage, as physics is often described as applied maths.

Years ago many schools used to insist that students did maths, but now the textbooks are written assuming no more than GCSE maths. The only trouble with this is that some of the explanations that are done without calculus really suck.
Zoqua
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by mxlika)
You don't need Maths, but the few people I know who do take Physics without Maths really, really struggle. I'm just curious, and this may sound like a stupid question, but how do you manage to do Physics while struggling with Maths? I take A level Physics and am predicted an A*, however it is my weakest subject (my others are Maths, Further Maths and Economics, which I want to take at university), and although I find both Physics and Chemistry quite interesting, the main reason I took Physics instead of Chemistry (I was told not to take 5 A levels) is that it is very mathematical (and I know others who think the same). Sorry if that seems like a strange or confrontational question, I'm just quite curious.

To directly answer your original question, yes, I believe you could take A level Physics without A level Maths, you would just need to really keep your Maths skills up to scratch and maybe go over any 'using maths' sections in the textbook, as well maybe keeping some GCSE textbooks around. Personally I wouldn't advise it (you really don't need to be excellent at Maths to do A level) but you do you .

Which exam board would you take if you did do A level?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Worth being aware that physicsy uni courses e.g. Physics or Engineering will usually require A levels in both maths and physics.

i.e. you can pass A level physics with GCSE maths... but then you'll be limited in what you can use the A level physics qualification for
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes but there isn't much point since anything at university which depends on physics will also depend on maths. Also while the maths in A-level Physics isn't A-level standard maths, it still will require and use GCSE level maths throughout the course, which you will need to be able and willing to use fluently. Additioanlly you may well need to put aside some extra time to keep your GCSE Maths skills up throughout the course, since unlike those taking A-level Maths you won't be inherently practicing those in that course as well (which reinforces the learning in A-level Physics).

So, essentially, yes but it's not really recommended for various reasons. There is no absolute reason you can't however. That said, if you struggle with maths now I would probably not recommend A-level Physics.
mxlika
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Zoqua)
You don't need Maths, but the few people I know who do take Physics without Maths really, really struggle. I'm just curious, and this may sound like a stupid question, but how do you manage to do Physics while struggling with Maths? I take A level Physics and am predicted an A*, however it is my weakest subject (my others are Maths, Further Maths and Economics, which I want to take at university), and although I find both Physics and Chemistry quite interesting, the main reason I took Physics instead of Chemistry (I was told not to take 5 A levels) is that it is very mathematical (and I know others who think the same). Sorry if that seems like a strange or confrontational question, I'm just quite curious.

To directly answer your original question, yes, I believe you could take A level Physics without A level Maths, you would just need to really keep your Maths skills up to scratch and maybe go over any 'using maths' sections in the textbook, as well maybe keeping some GCSE textbooks around. Personally I wouldn't advise it (you really don't need to be excellent at Maths to do A level) but you do you .

Which exam board would you take if you did do A level?
OCR A , and idk because im good with content i guess and concepts are okay and you go into most exams just like knowing ygm , but with maths its like idk its a whole nother world, i find it really boring aswell most lessons ill just be distracted and not focused so yeah x
Last edited by mxlika; 8 months ago
Sophhhowa
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes you can do it as long as you’re very comfortable rearranging equations. Also have a look into ln/logs/e as it comes up a little at A2. Obviously maths goes really well with physics but it’s not a requirement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (50)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (71)
18.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.29%
No - I live at home during term anyway (112)
29.55%

Watched Threads