The Student Room Group

Is there any good extra reading books for A level history Britain and America?

Hiiiiiiiiiii
Right so I’m doin British and American history A levels, I need some good extra reading to extend my knowledge and also help with my essays.

For Britain I’m doing, Britain transformed 1918 to 1979/1997
For America I’m doing conformity and challenge 1955 to 1992.
What books would you recommend I read that is good for extra knowledge.
Also would you help me with British and American essay questions, I don’t know how to structure my essay I’m aiming to get an A/A*. I’m doing Edexcel history.
Thankssss
Reply 1
Original post by SsHh02
Hiiiiiiiiiii
Right so I’m doin British and American history A levels, I need some good extra reading to extend my knowledge and also help with my essays.

For Britain I’m doing, Britain transformed 1918 to 1979/1997
For America I’m doing conformity and challenge 1955 to 1992.
What books would you recommend I read that is good for extra knowledge.
Also would you help me with British and American essay questions, I don’t know how to structure my essay I’m aiming to get an A/A*. I’m doing Edexcel history.
Thankssss

I've studied both of these topics at university and some at A level, I'd be happy to recommend some books or help with essay questions. Could you be a bit more specific with the topics you're covering because there's a lot of books out there.

Feel free to message me.
Reply 2
Original post by juren98
I've studied both of these topics at university and some at A level, I'd be happy to recommend some books or help with essay questions. Could you be a bit more specific with the topics you're covering because there's a lot of books out there.

Feel free to message me.

For Britain, so the following are from 1918 to 1979:
A changing political and economic environment
Creating a welfare state
Society in transition
Changing quality of life
And from 1979 to 97 is:
What impact did thatcher’s governments (1979-1990) have in Britain (1979 - 1997)?

For America it is the following:
Affluence and conformity (1955-63)
Protests and reaction (1963-72)
Social and political change (1973-80)
Republican dominance and its opponents (1981-92)

If you can help and recommend me really good books I would really appreciate it, I don’t mind what kind of books they are as long as they are helpful.

Also for essays, I just want a set essay structure if that makes sense. I’m aiming to get 17/20+ so if you can give advice that would be great especially with America because I find it difficult and the most I have gotten for America is 11/20. I’m doing edexcel History a level. Thanksss

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending