Will most grandparents in the UK die of the coronavirus?

Watch this thread
Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Given that the UK currently is pursuing a awfully obscure policy of "herd immunity" that won't even work - where 60 million people are set to be infected with a 1% mortality rate, with an estimated 400K dead, will msot people lose their grandparents to this given their age? Or will it not necessarily be the case?
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
Given that the UK currently is pursuing a awfully obscure policy of "herd immunity" that won't even work - where 60 million people are set to be infected with a 1% mortality rate, with an estimated 400K dead, will msot people lose their grandparents to this given their age? Or will it not necessarily be the case?
You tell us.

You have your GCSE Maths plus know plenty about mortality rates, so you tell us how they work out. Straight calculation.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
nasty people on twitter are referring to the disease as....

#boomer remover

:emo:
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by the bear)

#boomer remover

What snowflake mistake said that??? He'll get the blunt end of my walking stick :mob:
Mustafa0605
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
For over 70s it’s about a 10% death rate which is still a big figure
karelina
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
The over 65s have got to go into isolation right now, but they are being stubborn.
Ferrograd
Rep:
(Original post by karelina)
The over 65s have got to go into isolation right now, but they are being stubborn.
I mean what about stuff like funerals, my grandad is already terminally ill and has around two months or less left
Quady
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
I mean what about stuff like funerals, my grandad is already terminally ill and has around two months or less left
Funerals will probably be suspended, as they have in Italy.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by karelina)
I hope they will go into isolation, as it will be for their own good.
nulli tertius
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Funerals will probably be suspended, as they have in Italy.
This has been a rather odd approach by the Italians. Normally public health demands that in an epidemic funerals are held quickly and simply. A CofE burial service takes less than 5 minutes to read.https://www.churchofengland.org/pray...er/burial-dead

If you know York, the green space just outside the walls by the railway station is the cholera burying ground.
Quady
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
This has been a rather odd approach by the Italians. Normally public health demands that in an epidemic funerals are held quickly and simply. A CofE burial service takes less than 5 minutes to read.https://www.churchofengland.org/pray...er/burial-dead

If you know York, the green space just outside the walls by the railway station is the cholera burying ground.
Yup. I don't really get it tbh, gotta deal with the backlog at some point.
Bio 7
Rep:
Report 2 years ago

#boomer remover

That's brilliant.
Bio 7
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
I hope they will go into isolation, as it will be for their own good.
My grandma won't like that. She'll probably be dead this year anyway.
Iñigo de Loyola
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago

#boomer remover

”kinder, gentler politics”
Ferrograd
Rep:
(Original post by nulli tertius)

Indeed, I would have thought they would have wanted burial as quickly as possible. And given that most funerals have less than 100 people
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
My grandma won't like that. She'll probably be dead this year anyway.
As my 85 year old aunt says, they are used to adversity. Remember they were young during the war.
Quady
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
As my 85 year old aunt says, they are used to adversity. Remember they were young during the war.
And didn't hide in the house for five years.
Trinculo
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I love how all it takes is a bit of flu to turn millennial libertarians into full-on advocates of the police state.
Weeping_Angel
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Trinculo)
I love how all it takes is a bit of flu to turn millennial libertarians into full-on advocates of the police state.
The boomers aren’t lying when they call our generation “snowflakes”. That’s really what we are in their eyes. And I completely agree.
Vertigo_descent
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
IIRC it's just about twice as infectious as the flu - which would of course mean not everyone will get it. They're at higher risk if they do get it, though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (73)
66.97%
In the post (5)
4.59%
Text (15)
13.76%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (16)
14.68%

Watched Threads