stressed0ut
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi!

I’ve been debating where to go for uni (to study physics) and have narrowed it down to Durham (Trevs) or York..... I was going to go to the visit day at Durham (which obviously now has been cancelled) and then make up my mind about which is better for me, so if people could reply with their opinions studying at either uni, that’d be much appreciated!

I enjoy a lot of music (I play violin) and so if people know about music societies and that sort of thing, that would also be really useful!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
I've been to visit days at both and am similarly choosing between them (although for my insurance). I initially preferred Durham due to their reputation, but throughout the process started to prefer York as their marketing is excellent and Durham's is generally quite weak. However, after visiting them both I have decided that I much prefer Durham, as York just had the wrong vibe. Sorry, I know that isn't very helpful, but Durham felt much more academic and York was fairly underwhelming (although I preferred the city of York to Durham).
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by stressed0ut)
Hi!

I’ve been debating where to go for uni (to study physics) and have narrowed it down to Durham (Trevs) or York..... I was going to go to the visit day at Durham (which obviously now has been cancelled) and then make up my mind about which is better for me, so if people could reply with their opinions studying at either uni, that’d be much appreciated!

I enjoy a lot of music (I play violin) and so if people know about music societies and that sort of thing, that would also be really useful!
definitely York, although Trevs may not be ideal.

York is a wonderful city, but the campus is a bit meh and the students won't be as musically cultivated as at Durham which is populated with middle class types.
username5021294
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I went to Durham and I had the time of my life. The formal dinners, the strong academic reputation, the nature, the proximity to Newcastle, the college bars, everything was just so great!

When I visited York, I thought it was quite dull and boring tbh.
musicstudent64
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by stressed0ut)
Hi!

Hi stressed0ut,

I'm a music student at York and I was wondering where you ended up?
Sorry I'm late to the party
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads