Dictatorships will deal with the coronavirus better

Watch
Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Maybe not fundamentalist-religous states like Iran, but certainly the PRC has dealt with it extremely well. They have an obedient, compliant population who obey the government, and the state has the power to enforce draconian measures. I would actually be grateful to be living in a dictatorship like the PRC in times like this. In China, they close everything. In the UK, they won't even close the schools "because the kids will get bored and meet with their mates anyway". What is this pathetic attitude?
Knortfoxx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
In China, they arrested everybody who tried to talk about it for 2 months and did literally nothing to contain it until the rest of the world found out. Hardly what I would call effective.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Knortfoxx)
In China, they arrested everybody who tried to talk about it for 2 months and did literally nothing to contain it until the rest of the world found out. Hardly what I would call effective.
Still, the government managed to lockdown cities and were actually very open about the situation.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
True.
TheStarboy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Trading your human rights and privileges? I wouldn't call that a fair trade. Why not swap places with someone from China or North Korea then?
Knortfoxx
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
Still, the government managed to lockdown cities and were actually very open about the situation.
They only did that AFTER everybody found out about it. So it doesn't count.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
"Yeah, aside from the horrific way they challenged and persecuted people who were trying to help, they've been great" :rolleyes:
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheStarboy)
Trading your human rights and privileges? I wouldn't call that a fair trade. Why not swap places with someone from China or North Korea then?
North Korea is different. North korea is a dictatorship, but it is a p*ss poor country that doesnt have anywhere near the resources that china has and struggles with basic health needs.
Knortfoxx
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
North Korea is different. North korea is a dictatorship, but it is a p*ss poor country that doesnt have anywhere near the resources that china has and struggles with basic health needs.
You seem to be saying: Dictatorships are more effective except the poor and religious ones (i.e. almost every single dictatorship) and also except the part where they weren't effective (which doesn't count anyway because now they are being effective). Not super compelling.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
We need to distinguish the response between the central government and the local government in China.

The local (Wuhan) government tried to hide it in order not to displease their seniors.

Once the central government knew of the situation, their response changed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/o...nse-china.html
XNO25MALE
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I feel like walking up to the Chinese dictator in the streets greeting the crowd and beat off a little in my hand down my pants then chuck a line *** right in his stupid ****ing face.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Knortfoxx)
You seem to be saying: Dictatorships are more effective except the poor and religious ones (i.e. almost every single dictatorship) and also except the part where they weren't effective (which doesn't count anyway because now they are being effective). Not super compelling.
I personally think we need to declare a state of emergency, deploy the military to enforce social distancing measures, ban mass gatherings and classes, whilst also shutting down the borders, banning anyone from leaving and entering the country. Factories and the other means of production should be seized by the government to ensure supplies are maintained and begin rationing.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
deploy the military to enforce social distancing measures
How many people do you think are in the armed forces to be able to do this across the entire country?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I personally think we need to declare a state of emergency, deploy the military to enforce social distancing measures, ban mass gatherings and classes, whilst also shutting down the borders, banning anyone from leaving and entering the country. Factories and the other means of production should be seized by the government to ensure supplies are maintained and begin rationing.
So to make people stay away from each other you want to make more people go out on the streets?
As for the rest of this comment.. you do know that most things you buy in this country come from abroad right? Especially your food and medicine. Pray tell how you intend to weather the virus with no food and drugs?
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Great, so no rice or pasta for us then.

Other than 40% of food just not being there, how would you ration? Like practically, how would you do it?

And who is going to seize factories and other means of production?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads