GetawayCar13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m going to uni next year and I’m going to do something my parents won’t approve of at all (no need for details!). It’s likely they’ll threaten to / actually do cut off any financial help. My family is very lucky to be very privileged but that means i have no savings, nothing to fall back on. If / when this happens, can my uni help me out with extra loans or something??
I’m aware I’m very lucky, and that so many live with less. I guess I’m asking how easy it is to change finances if situations change, particularly if it’s my parents cutting me off, rather than a new job or something.
AtishaD
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GetawayCar13)
I’m going to uni next year and I’m going to do something my parents won’t approve of at all (no need for details!). It’s likely they’ll threaten to / actually do cut off any financial help. My family is very lucky to be very privileged but that means i have no savings, nothing to fall back on. If / when this happens, can my uni help me out with extra loans or something??
I’m aware I’m very lucky, and that so many live with less. I guess I’m asking how easy it is to change finances if situations change, particularly if it’s my parents cutting me off, rather than a new job or something.
I think you can sort that out while applying for student loans, if you have no financial family support, you’ll get a higher maintenance loan x
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AtishaD)
I think you can sort that out while applying for student loans, if you have no financial family support, you’ll get a higher maintenance loan x
Depends how the no support is working. If it’s just the parents not helping then they don’t give you more money it’s still based on income. There would need to be more to the situation.
GetawayCar13
Rep:
?
Problem is, when I’m applying, based on income I’ll have the lowest maintenance loan bc my family is quite well off. But it’s likely that after a term of uni they’ll cut off my money due to circumstances. I’m wondering if this makes any difference, or if I’ll still get the minimum loan. If this is the case, is it possible to work a part time job from august - December and save enough to survive on my own? Sorry, I’m very new to all of this! Don’t really know how anything works.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GetawayCar13)
Problem is, when I’m applying, based on income I’ll have the lowest maintenance loan bc my family is quite well off. But it’s likely that after a term of uni they’ll cut off my money due to circumstances. I’m wondering if this makes any difference, or if I’ll still get the minimum loan. If this is the case, is it possible to work a part time job from august - December and save enough to survive on my own? Sorry, I’m very new to all of this! Don’t really know how anything works.
What are you going to do? And how will they find out? If your parents don't find out then its not a problem.............?

Also still minimum loan unless you are estranged or something from them
GetawayCar13
Rep:
?
It’s complicated, I’m anorexic, and they don’t know I’ve relapsed. I’m guessing when I come home at Christmas they’ll see the weight change and try and stop it by taking away my money. Ah okay, thanks. Guess I’ll just have to find a way!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (20)
31.75%
No (43)
68.25%

Watched Threads