Coronavirus: what do you think of this?

Watch
Anonymousamie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51895873
I think it’s wrong to force the elderly to self-isolate. I know it’s for their own protection, but some may be unable to actually collect the supplies on their doorstep and they may require a carer to visit them every day like my grandmother, so I’m worried how she’ll cope. Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but I learnt when reading a guardian article a few weeks ago that they’ll obviously feel more lonely which increases the likelihood of getting dementia
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A 70-year old guy rang the radio this morning to say he and his self-isolating wife are now living on scraps because their local supermarket (Edgware Road, London) is cleared out!

One hope might be a volunteer from AgeUK
Anonymousamie
Rep:
?
(Original post by NJA)
A 70-year old guy rang the radio this morning to say he and his self-isolating wife are now living on scraps because their local supermarket (Edgware Road, London) is cleared out!

One hope might be a volunteer from AgeUK
Oh that’s terrible Let’s hope so
Anonnorth
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you really want to help them, instead of thinking that it should be government and charities that should be the only one to help them, if you know any older person living nearby see if they need help getting the supplies they need.
Dont forget many of them dont have access to the internet for online shopping so if younger people panic buy toilet rolls and food, tins etc. It will be these older people that will suffer the most.
Anonymousamie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonnorth)
If you really want to help them, instead of thinking that it should be government and charities that should be the only one to help them, if you know any older person living nearby see if they need help getting the supplies they need.
Dont forget many of them dont have access to the internet for online shopping so if younger people panic buy toilet rolls and food, tins etc. It will be these older people that will suffer the most.
I understand that and I’m more than happy to help, but are we supposed to just leave the shopping on their doorstep? My gran has to travel on a wheelchair so it really isn’t convenient.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 3 weeks ago
Two points:

1. Someone knocks on your door and says they'll get your shopping for you - how are you going to pay them?

2. Just how long are they supposed to self-isolate given current wisdom is this virus isn't going to peak for another 2-3 months?
Anonnorth
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Two points:

1. Someone knocks on your door and says they'll get your shopping for you - how are you going to pay them?

2. Just how long are they supposed to self-isolate given current wisdom is this virus isn't going to peak for another 2-3 months?
They are talking about up to 4 months
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonnorth)
They are talking about up to 4 months
4 months!!!! Anyone here think they could cope self-isolating for 4 months, on your own, not in a hospital, no visitors, let alone being over 70.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I was talking to my Grandparents about Coronavirus on Friday and they seemed quite sanguine about the whole thing.

They said they have lived a happy and fulfilled life and if they get infected then that is simply what happens. They aren't going to impede their quality of life if they only have a few months left to live.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Fat chance that my 76 year old dad is going to want to self-isolate.
Sean2202
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The government isn’t planning on forcing the elderly to self-isolate. The article says they will be “told to”. But yes loneliness might become a problem especially with relatives cautious about visit them.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Let’s be honest. Whatever the government do it won’t be perfect.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Let’s be honest. Whatever the government do it won’t be perfect.
There is no perfect.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymousamie)
I understand that and I’m more than happy to help, but are we supposed to just leave the shopping on their doorstep? My gran has to travel on a wheelchair so it really isn’t convenient.
Advice is that if you are healthy you can enter the property if you stay 2 metres away from the other person.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This seems to be more them advising them to rather than locking them up, as it were? At any rate, good luck enforcing it. I rather doubt some of the more irascible types are going to be cowed by some poxy little virus. Never mind the exceptionally bad optics on tasering an elderly person who refuses to be placed under house arrest.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm quite unbothered about this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (267)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (271)
15.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
10.1%
Isolating with family (119)
6.91%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (78)
4.53%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (145)
8.42%
Loneliness (169)
9.81%
Financial worries (67)
3.89%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (156)
9.06%
Exposure to negative news/social media (123)
7.14%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (153)
8.89%

Watched Threads