Which ones did you read by him?
Helix120
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
Which ones did you read by him?
I’m not actually a massive fan of Fitzgerald so I tend not to read his work, I know This Side of Paradise is meant to be good, as is The Beautiful and the Damned
LaGataSonriente
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Helix120)
I’m not actually a massive fan of Fitzgerald so I tend not to read his work, I know This Side of Paradise is meant to be good, as is The Beautiful and the Damned
I have read the Great Gatsby, Tender is the Night, The Beautiful and Damned and The Love of the Last Tycoon and they are all such wonderful books.
Helix120
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by LaGataSonriente)
I have read the Great Gatsby, Tender is the Night, The Beautiful and Damned and The Love of the Last Tycoon and they are all such wonderful books.
Is there anything you particularly like about F Scott Fitzgerald’s work - that would make it easier to find similar books
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Is there anything you particularly like about F Scott Fitzgerald’s work - that would make it easier to find similar books
The plot of the great Gatsby and the characters I think are great.
LaGataSonriente
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I love the way he writes about life. About how it takes you places you never thought you'd be, it makes you fall in love with people that you never expected and yet it so often ends up leaving us feel empty. He writes about it in such a subtle way, without starting off by declaring that that is what he will do. I think that the final line of The Great Gatsby is a perfect encapsulation of the main theme of his writing.
rhbb
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The Beautiful and the Damned is amazing and I love it. Ummm also The picture of Dorian Gray is also a really good book (by Oscar Wilde) and recently I have been loving Christopher Isherwood, (my favourite so far is probably Goodbye to Berlin, but up for debate with A Single Man).
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I haven't enjoyed the picture of dorian grey personally, I found the character of Lord Henry really annoying and I Dorian had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by rhbb)
The Beautiful and the Damned is amazing and I love it. Ummm also The picture of Dorian Gray is also a really good book (by Oscar Wilde) and recently I have been loving Christopher Isherwood, (my favourite so far is probably Goodbye to Berlin, but up for debate with A Single Man).
I haven't enjoyed the picture of dorian grey personally, I found the character of Lord Henry really annoying and I Dorian had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
periodt
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by rhbb)
I liked it. The concept was original (to me) and I enjoyed it a lot.

My only issue was how Wilde would go off on tangents with his unnecessarily long descriptions, but that might appeal to others.
Abzzz57
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi, A completely different direction as I wouldn't call it a classic but 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' by Hunter S. Thompson is about the american dream... I didn't really enjoy it to be honest but you might.
periodt
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Classic fiction is prefered.
Loved loved loved Jane Eyre (#1 fav of mine) and Frankenstein (#2).
You might like them too.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Classic fiction is prefered.
A book about a failed love story as in The Great Gatsby? try Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms! as a whole it is different, but in the core a great similarity exists.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.85%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.1%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.02%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.92%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
26.11%

Watched Threads