Laurensmum
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am currently on SD placement and am due to be signed off my standards two weeks after Easter, however I have now made the decision to quit my SD placement.

I have been in my host school since September and in October raised with my provider that I was not enjoying the placement and found the mentor to be unsupportive. I raised this on a number of occasions but my requests were ignored.

I went to my second placement which was for 6 weeks and really found my passion, I loved the placement, the mentor was fab and I felt really supported.

Unfortunately, since being back in my host school for the past 3 weeks I have not felt supported, I do not gel with my mentor and am never left on my own for long enough with the class to gain confidence. I don't feel I have improved at all since September.

I have since found out that if the teacher pops out of the room and does leave me on my own (very rarely) then the LSA provides her with a report on me. I feel spied on all the time.

I am spoken to like I am a child in the class rather than a 48 year old woman and the school has broken me.

I feel really disappointed in myself for not being able to see this through to the end and feel like I have just wasted 7 months of my life.

I do know that I will never return to education based on this experience and am now too old to even think of starting this again, yet alone finding the money to support my family.

I'm now in debt and have achieved nothing. I know that I will find another job eventually but there just doesn't seem to be light at the end of the tunnel at the moment.

Just wanted to vent as I'm feeling very depressed.
Last edited by Laurensmum; 3 weeks ago
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Laurensmum)
I am currently on SD placement and am due to be signed off my standards two weeks after Easter, however I have now made the decision to quit my SD placement.

I have been in my host school since September and in October raised with my provider that I was not enjoying the placement and found the mentor to be unsupportive. I raised this on a number of occasions but my requests were ignored.

I went to my second placement which was for 6 weeks and really found my passion, I loved the placement, the mentor was fab and I felt really supported.

Unfortunately, since being back in my host school for the past 3 weeks I have not felt supported, I do not gel with my mentor and am never left on my own for long enough with the class to gain confidence. I don't feel I have improved at all since September.

I have since found out that if the teacher pops out of the room and does leave me on my own (very rarely) then the LSA provides her with a report on me. I feel spied on all the time.

I am spoken to like I am a child in the class rather than a 48 year old woman and the school has broken me.

I feel really disappointed in myself for not being able to see this through to the end and feel like I have just wasted 7 months of my life.

I do know that I will never return to education based on this experience and am now too old to even think of starting this again, yet alone finding the money to support my family.

I'm now in debt and have achieved nothing. I know that I will find another job eventually but there just doesn't seem to be light at the end of the tunnel at the moment.

Don't be depressed. You have dodged a bullet! I think teaching in schools is barely a profession. As you have found out there is a lot of disrespectful patronising behaviour amongst so called school leaders and the stress levels are ridiculously high. Your example of the LSA behavior is not untypical. They are not even qualified teachers either; its a power ego thing going on there.
There is nothing to recommend being a teacher at the moment . It is not like school when you were teenager at school. A standard jib in an office is much better than school teaching. If you had qualified, your stress levels and workload would have increased 10 fold at least!
FormerTeacher
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

So sad to read this. Am I reading correctly that you felt confident and supported on your short placement (and potentially, had this been your long placement, you might not have had to make this impossible decision?).
Is it worth speaking to the second school, to see which other providers they work with, contact them and see if you can transfer providers? Especially as you're so close to the finish line?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

I'm really sorry to hear you're in this situation.

Is there any chance of speaking to your provider and arranging a leave of absence- then catching up your placements in September at another school?

It sounds like you are so close to the end, and it would be a real shame not to see this through- but it also sounds like you need a break from the situation.

I agree that you will recover and you can always find another profession, but it sounds like you are really close to the end, so is it worth making sure you've explored all your options?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
34.18%
No (518)
65.82%

Watched Threads