Is this clinical or situation depression?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
If someone went through childhood trauma at an early age and starts showing depressive symptoms as an adult, is it considered situational since it was caused by childhood trauma?
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Hmm I don't think its ever one or the other. Though from my understanding, situational depression is more about situations at present such as loss of family member, relationship breakdown, financial issues etc. as opposed to trauma experienced years ago.
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I think perhaps seeing your gp would be a good idea, they can assess that for themselves and provide treatment which they think is appropriate.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Hmm I don't think its ever one or the other. Though from my understanding, situational depression is more about situations at present such as loss of family member, relationship breakdown, financial issues etc. as opposed to trauma experienced years ago.
There are only two types of depression though: clinical and situational so it has to be one or the other.
Theloniouss
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
There are only two types of depression though: clinical and situational so it has to be one or the other.
Often it's hard to tell until you've tried treatment.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I mean yes and no. If you look at ICD-10 under depressive disorder is situational (reactive) depression, but it come under the umbrella term 'of major depressive disorder'

And I stand by what I said that no depression is ever 'purely' clinical or reactive, it's more of a gene-environment interaction of the two (with most research pointing towards psychological models of depression as opposed to biological heavy ones)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (38)
28.57%
Take a gap year (21)
15.79%
Resit my exams (35)
26.32%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (18)
13.53%
I don't know yet (15)
11.28%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.51%

Watched Threads