Is this clinical or situation depression?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If someone went through childhood trauma at an early age and starts showing depressive symptoms as an adult, is it considered situational since it was caused by childhood trauma?
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hmm I don't think its ever one or the other. Though from my understanding, situational depression is more about situations at present such as loss of family member, relationship breakdown, financial issues etc. as opposed to trauma experienced years ago.
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think perhaps seeing your gp would be a good idea, they can assess that for themselves and provide treatment which they think is appropriate.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Hmm I don't think its ever one or the other. Though from my understanding, situational depression is more about situations at present such as loss of family member, relationship breakdown, financial issues etc. as opposed to trauma experienced years ago.
There are only two types of depression though: clinical and situational so it has to be one or the other.
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
There are only two types of depression though: clinical and situational so it has to be one or the other.
Often it's hard to tell until you've tried treatment.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I mean yes and no. If you look at ICD-10 under depressive disorder is situational (reactive) depression, but it come under the umbrella term 'of major depressive disorder'

And I stand by what I said that no depression is ever 'purely' clinical or reactive, it's more of a gene-environment interaction of the two (with most research pointing towards psychological models of depression as opposed to biological heavy ones)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (172)
44.1%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.03%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.21%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.28%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (38)
9.74%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.64%

Watched Threads