TSR George
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
in a fractionating column, temperatures are hotter at the bottom and cooler at the top. long-chain hydrocarbons with higher boiling points condense at the bottom, but short-chain hydrocarbons with lower boiling points condense at the top where the temp is cooler.

why don’t the short-chain hydrocarbons condense at the bottom if they have lower boiling points?
bluebirchtree
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(I'm really not qualified to answer this question, so I apologise in advance if this confuses you further. This is a guess and you are much better off asking your science teacher.)

The long-chain hydrocarbons have stronger intermolecular bonds than short-chain hydrocarbons. This means that the short-chain hydrocarbons are more likely to evaporate into a gas at high temperatures because less energy is required to break their intermolecular bonds. They don't condense at the bottom because the long-chain hydrocarbons are in a liquid state and liquids are denser than gases.
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bluebirchtree)
(I'm really not qualified to answer this question, so I apologise in advance if this confuses you further. This is a guess and you are much better off asking your science teacher.)

The long-chain hydrocarbons have stronger intermolecular bonds than short-chain hydrocarbons. This means that the short-chain hydrocarbons are more likely to evaporate into a gas at high temperatures because less energy is required to break their intermolecular bonds. They don't condense at the bottom because the long-chain hydrocarbons are in a liquid state and liquids are denser than gases.
Have you ever thought about becoming a science teacher?

I guess the OP is just confused over what boiling point means.

Short chain HCs indeed have low BPs. A low BP refers to the temperature that they need heating until they boil. A low BP means it doesn't take much heat until they boil. At low Ts, short chain HCs have enough energy to boil and hence remain as gases until T drops below their BP (i.e. at the top of the fractionating tower).

Long chain HCs have high BPs - they need high Ts before they will boil, i.e. they condense at high T's, i.e. the bottom of the tower.
bluebirchtree
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pigster)
Have you ever thought about becoming a science teacher?

I guess the OP is just confused over what boiling point means.

Short chain HCs indeed have low BPs. A low BP refers to the temperature that they need heating until they boil. A low BP means it doesn't take much heat until they boil. At low Ts, short chain HCs have enough energy to boil and hence remain as gases until T drops below their BP (i.e. at the top of the fractionating tower).

Long chain HCs have high BPs - they need high Ts before they will boil, i.e. they condense at high T's, i.e. the bottom of the tower.
listen to them OP not me my reply was a complete and utter guess
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At the start in FD, T is sooo high that everything is a gas. This mixture of really hot gases is squirted into the FD tower. Near the bottom, T is slightly cooler than the incoming stream of gas, so the chemicals with the highest BPs condense into liquids and therefore are separated from the rest of the gas mixture.

Remember, a high BP means that a high T is needed so that it stays as a gas.

"they require less heat to boil so why don’t they boil at the bottom". They do!. But, rather than thinking of them boiling at the bottom, you should think in terms of 'still being a gas' at the bottom. You are thinking along the right lines, short chains should do boil at the bottom. The only flaw in your logic is that they have already boiled.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (2)
100%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (0)
0%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (0)
0%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (0)
0%
I haven't started researching yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (0)
0%

Watched Threads