What are the short and long term effects of Vesalius
Hamdan_Naeem
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Pincott)
What are the short and long term effects of Vesalius
He corrected 300+ mistakes that Galen made in anatomical books. His book 'Six Anatomical Tables' in 1538 and 'The Fabric of the Human Body' 1543 caused A LOT of uproar. This was because, he challenged Galen and the Church (because both Claudius' and the Church's ideas fitted with each other). Back then, the norm was to follow Galen, so anyone who challenged this was already disliked. The Church said, "His research is futile, he dissected criminal bodies and Galen and the Church said criminal bodies were imperfectly made by God, because they were sinners. However, it did lead to more discoveries and ideas as well as more ppl challenging the Church. Most importantly it led to William Harvey being inspired by Vesalius' work and dissected animals, leading to his book being published in 1628 'On the Motion of Blood'. Andreas allowed many new discoveries and breakthroughs in anatomical studies. It also lead to dissections being legal and more practicality and surgery in Medicine, ditching book learning. Because surgery was allowed now, ppl realized Galen truly was wrong and many others moved away from the Church (but this was mainly due to the Renaissance and the Reformation which was a Protestant anti Catholic religion leading to a lack of control of the Church in Europe and Britain.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
17.25%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (89)
28.43%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (42)
13.42%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed