Would deliberate Covid-19 infection help?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
It just occurred to me as someone with older / vulnerable relatives - if they were to become ill, I would like to be able to care for them. The only way I would feel comfortable doing that is if I had already had it, as then I wouldn't be infected / infectious (as far as indications so far show, although the jury is still out on how long immunity might last).

As a young(ish) person with good health, it's a risk I would be willing to take and I could self isolate for 2 weeks to recover. Then it occurred to me that this approach might work for final year students too (obvs those who are willing and don't have underlying health conditions). They would then be ready to work without the worry of infection.

Am I missing something obvious? Could we have corona parties? (a bit like chicken pox parties for children?)
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
...Am I missing something obvious?...
Yes, you are.

You are assuming that you won't get reinfected.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes, you are.

You are assuming that you won't get reinfected.
Assuming that I wouldn't get reinfected in a short time frame... which what I've read suggests (although I can't find a reliable source for this info, it is what a lot of media seems to be saying but without giving their source, and I can't find anything on pubmed). We don't know about how long any immunity may last / viral mutation rates.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Assuming that I wouldn't get reinfected in a short time frame... which what I've read suggests (although I can't find a reliable source for this info, it is what a lot of media seems to be saying but without giving their source, and I can't find anything on pubmed). We don't know about how long any immunity may last / viral mutation rates.
My opinion is that a vaccine is probably our best bet, even though it is still months away. A lock down is (IMO) the best option at the moment, and I therefore disagree with what our government is doing.

I would also discourage against actively infecting yourself, because the mortality rate for youngsters, while low (yes 0.2%) is still much much higher than the flu. You wouldn't purposefully infect yourself with the flu, so why would you with this disease?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
My opinion is that a vaccine is probably our best bet, even though it is still months away. A lock down is (IMO) the best option at the moment, and I therefore disagree with what our government is doing.

I would also discourage against actively infecting yourself, because the mortality rate for youngsters, while low (yes 0.2%) is still much much higher than the flu. You wouldn't purposefully infect yourself with the flu, so why would you with this disease?
Totally agree on the vaccine - I think it will be 9 months minimum though (and even that would be a major achievement). By then a large percentage of the population is likely to have been infected (at least with current measures, and you have to question how long a lock down would work for anyway - I'm not sure what I think the best approach would be).

If a vulnerable family member had flu, I would feel ok about nursing them as exposure / vaccination means that I have a base line immunity, and therefore I'm not guaranteed to catch it. With a new virus, it's pretty likely that I would become ill (and therefore be unable to care for them).

I don't think it's possible to intentionally infect yourself (unless you happen to have friends who have tested positive before they restricted testing), but it's an interesting thought experiment.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
There are two strands of the virus - getting the first one won't protect you from getting the second one.
Anonymous #2
Report 7 months ago
Don't deliberately catch it. You may be young and with good health but that doesn't mean you'll definitely recover from corona. What if you die? Also getting it once doesn't mean you are immune to it. If you get it once and recover then there's a good chance you'll recover again because your immune system will know how to fight it but that won't be for life, as you get older your immune system gets weaker.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (111)
13.75%
I'm not sure (36)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (246)
30.48%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.48%
I'm not a current university student (394)
48.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed