What is Johnson doing? Coronavirus

Watch
hotchocolate66
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
He should do whatever is necessary. Even scientists doubt his plan.
I dont think so. If scientists were so fearful of this "dangerous disease"then they would panic. They are still willing to see if this experiment works. I dont like him but hes doing what was done with measles before we had a vaccine for it. Tbh, eventually most of us will get this virus in a mild form. If you are someone who has a strong immune system then sure you won't even get it. You cant escape from it really. So it's technically pointless.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by HarryOnTap)
Dude that's hard when you have assessment deadlines coming up, presentations, seminars, exams. As of yet nothing has been confirmed what will happen in most schools/universities. they're waiting for government guidance
Quite. Just I have no sympathy with people blaming HMG for 'not doing anything' while not doing anything themselves.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hotchocolate66)
I dont think so. If scientists were so fearful of this "dangerous disease"then they would panic. They are still willing to see if this experiment works. I dont like him but hes doing what was done with measles before we had a vaccine for it. Tbh, eventually most of us will get this virus in a mild form. If you are someone who has a strong immune system then sure you won't even get it. You cant escape from it really. So it's technically pointless.
I think the focus is not on those with strong immunity but those with weak immunity or are vulnerable.
ساره
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I personally don’t trust boris at all
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymousamie)
Hmmm, a user on the student room...what could I have been doing? Maybe getting my dang education?
Yeah, cuz that cant wait.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
Quite. Just I have no sympathy with people blaming HMG for 'not doing anything' while not doing anything themselves.
While I agree with you in principle, a lot of people simply cannot do more.

I will be going back to work in a hospital tomorrow - and the government has told us not to wear a mask. I have previously elaborated on another thread why wearing masks (as a population) will be useful - wearing a mask personally, will not protect you.

In fact mysteriously all the masks and alcohol gels have disappeared from the wards. The only thing we can do (and we have done) is wash our hands, and pray that we don't get it.
Last edited by ecolier; 2 weeks ago
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m allowed to have a damn opinion and half the posts I’ve read on here agree with me because the government will end up leaving it too late and we’ll lose our loved ones over the economy.
Well what would you rather have? You elderly relatives with a hospital that is managing or like Italy, put up on camp beds to die because the health service is over run?

Sure you are allowed an opinion but harping on about doing something that goes against scientific advice is just panic fuelled ignorance.
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think the focus is not on those with strong immunity but those with weak immunity or are vulnerable.
Agree but you cant expect a lockdown to kill the virus. It will resurface after the lockdown is lifted.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Agree but you cant expect a lockdown to kill the virus. It will resurface after the lockdown is lifted.
I don't agree. We don't know what may happen in the future. China had a lockdown and they appear to have passed the problem.
Anonymousamie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Well what would you rather have? You elderly relatives with a hospital that is managing or like Italy, put up on camp beds to die because the health service is over run?

Sure you are allowed an opinion but harping on about doing something that goes against scientific advice is just panic fuelled ignorance.
You say that, but plenty of scientists are currently opposing Johnson’s measures.
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't agree. We don't know what may happen in the future. China had a lockdown and they appear to have passed the problem.
But India didnt have a lockdown yet their cases are improving.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You say that, but plenty of scientists are currently opposing Johnson’s measures.
Inconveniently they don't happen to be the ones employed to design and implement any measures.
Anonymousamie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
Inconveniently they don't happen to be the ones employed to design and implement any measures.
True. I’m just confused because they’re telling people to self-isolate, yet Matt Hancock is saying all hands on deck to care for the elderly and the vulnerable, so how is that going to work when 60-80% of us are infected and can no longer care for them face-to-face? I don’t know maybe I’m just stupid, but I can’t get my head around it.
slazman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The Chinese response is possible in very few countries, because for a western country to go full on totalitarian, forcing people to not leave the house under threat of prison sentences, the uproar would be huge - a large number of people in the UK hate the government telling them what to do. It would not work, full stop.

In addition, China is one of the few countries with a strong enough economy to take the hit. Dont forget that closing down entire countries is a sure fire way to kick start a recession, putting tens of thousands at least into poverty, and reducing the quality of life for just about everyone. Of course, it may be a necessary measure at some point, but time it wrong and we could be left with a crippled economy as well as an ongoing pandemic.

Far too many people are suddenly experts. I understand the fear this virus is causing, I feel the exact same. But I still have faith that the people making these decisions are those with the best chance of making the correct ones (and by the way, it's not Johnson who is doing this, it's the scientific advisors. Hes a politician not an epidemiologist, so blaming him is not really very informed, as much as I dislike the man). Yes, it may backfire, but I seriously doubt any of you would be making good decisions were you the ones in the hot seat.

Coronavirus sucks. Its ****, its ruining my first year at university, disrupting every aspect of our lives and taking peoples loved ones. But mindless panic and finger pointing are helping nobody. It will pass, and the best thing to do is pull together and get through it.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
True, but it seems they had very strict controls such as demanding controlled quarantine and closer monitoring of foreign nationals and those with the ailment.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
nothing much
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's really hot in India like 30-50 degrees Celsius usually here in the UK it's like -2 to 15 degrees at the moment. Hence why that could be a factor as to why the virus is spreading less IDK? Here in the UK it's cold and in Italy they have an elderly population hence why the virus could be spending more? Although sanitation in India is not as good as it is here in the UK?
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
True, but it seems they had very strict controls such as demanding controlled quarantine and closer monitoring of foreign nationals and those with the ailment.
They did demand strict quarantine measures for foreign nationals but for domestic cases, it has shot down without any lockdown.
Also their experts and scientists refute UK's experts who said virus will peak in May/June. Judging by the amount of nonsense the media and "experts" are spewing here, I will go with them.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
While I agree with you in principle, a lot of people simply cannot do more.

I will be going back to work in a hospital tomorrow - and the government has told us not to wear a mask. I have previously elaborated on another thread why wearing masks (as a population) will be useful - wearing a mask personally, will not protect you.

In fact mysteriously all the masks and alcohol gels have disappeared from the wards. The only thing we can do (and we have done) is wash our hands, and pray that we don't get it.
I think we can all agree on one thing, even on this thread. Ecolier, you are a HERO. xxxx

Sending my appreciation and very best wishes.
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
It's really hot in India like 30-50 degrees Celsius usually here in the UK it's like -2 to 15 degrees at the moment. Hence why that could be a factor as to why the virus is spreading less IDK? Here in the UK it's cold and in Italy they have an elderly population hence why the virus could be spending more? Although sanitation in India is not as good as it is here in the UK?
Yes that is one of the main reasons which is why I keep saying the warmer it gets, the less the virus spreads. Looking at UK in the last 2 years, it has started getting warmer since April with 2018 April being hottest ever in the UK. So I doubt the virus will stand a chance. It does get cool/cold on some days in May but still not like below 10. Right now it's mostly below 11 at least in London. But on Tuesday it shows 17 in London. The more the humidity, temp, heat increases, the less the virus spreads.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads