What is Johnson doing? Coronavirus

Watch
Anonymousamie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by slazman)
The Chinese response is possible in very few countries, because for a western country to go full on totalitarian, forcing people to not leave the house under threat of prison sentences, the uproar would be huge - a large number of people in the UK hate the government telling them what to do. It would not work, full stop.

In addition, China is one of the few countries with a strong enough economy to take the hit. Dont forget that closing down entire countries is a sure fire way to kick start a recession, putting tens of thousands at least into poverty, and reducing the quality of life for just about everyone. Of course, it may be a necessary measure at some point, but time it wrong and we could be left with a crippled economy as well as an ongoing pandemic.

Far too many people are suddenly experts. I understand the fear this virus is causing, I feel the exact same. But I still have faith that the people making these decisions are those with the best chance of making the correct ones (and by the way, it's not Johnson who is doing this, it's the scientific advisors. Hes a politician not an epidemiologist, so blaming him is not really very informed, as much as I dislike the man). Yes, it may backfire, but I seriously doubt any of you would be making good decisions were you the ones in the hot seat.

Coronavirus sucks. Its ****, its ruining my first year at university, disrupting every aspect of our lives and taking peoples loved ones. But mindless panic and finger pointing are helping nobody. It will pass, and the best thing to do is pull together and get through it.
Thank you. I understand better now. I hope it passes soon and you make it through university
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hotchocolate66)
They did demand strict quarantine measures for foreign nationals but for domestic cases, it has shot down without any lockdown.
Also their experts and scientists refute UK's experts who said virus will peak in May/June. Judging by the amount of nonsense the media and "experts" are spewing here, I will go with them.
Many, if not all, countries have taken precautions with strict controls. Here, we seem to see no real movement from the Tories.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by slazman)
The Chinese response is possible in very few countries, because for a western country to go full on totalitarian, forcing people to not leave the house under threat of prison sentences, the uproar would be huge - a large number of people in the UK hate the government telling them what to do. It would not work, full stop.

In addition, China is one of the few countries with a strong enough economy to take the hit. Dont forget that closing down entire countries is a sure fire way to kick start a recession, putting tens of thousands at least into poverty, and reducing the quality of life for just about everyone. Of course, it may be a necessary measure at some point, but time it wrong and we could be left with a crippled economy as well as an ongoing pandemic.

Far too many people are suddenly experts. I understand the fear this virus is causing, I feel the exact same. But I still have faith that the people making these decisions are those with the best chance of making the correct ones (and by the way, it's not Johnson who is doing this, it's the scientific advisors. Hes a politician not an epidemiologist, so blaming him is not really very informed, as much as I dislike the man). Yes, it may backfire, but I seriously doubt any of you would be making good decisions were you the ones in the hot seat.

Coronavirus sucks. Its ****, its ruining my first year at university, disrupting every aspect of our lives and taking peoples loved ones. But mindless panic and finger pointing are helping nobody. It will pass, and the best thing to do is pull together and get through it.
Yes, the best comment on this thread. We must pull together and get through it. We are a community (TSR) and it's great to have somewhere we can talk to each other, even if we disagree. If we need to stay at home for any reason, it will become even more important to us.
hotchocolate66
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Many, if not all, countries have taken precautions with strict controls. Here, we seem to see no real movement from the Tories.
Hes following herd immunity. Idk how this will work. I mean it did work with measles but for measles 95% had to be infected. Boris claims 60% of infections is needed. But he still cannot force the population. People will cause a massive outrage if he imposes any sort of rule.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymousamie)
True. I’m just confused because they’re telling people to self-isolate, yet Matt Hancock is saying all hands on deck to care for the elderly and the vulnerable, so how is that going to work when 60-80% of us are infected and can no longer care for them face-to-face? I don’t know maybe I’m just stupid, but I can’t get my head around it.
How about:
1. Take the recommended precautions, washing hands etc.
2. if you have symptoms then self isolate and do not risk infecting someone else.
3. If you dont have symptoms and want to help then you can.

Not sure what is difficult to understand about that?
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes that is one of the main reasons which is why I keep saying the warmer it gets, the less the virus spreads. Looking at UK in the last 2 years, it has started getting warmer since April with 2018 April being hottest ever in the UK. So I doubt the virus will stand a chance. It does get cool/cold on some days in May but still not like below 10. Right now it's mostly below 11 at least in London. But on Tuesday it shows 17 in London. The more the humidity, temp, heat increases, the less the virus spreads.
17 degrees still isn't hot enough we need to at least be 30+ degree Celsius
21ForEva
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by HarryOnTap)
Dude that's hard when you have assessment deadlines coming up, presentations, seminars, exams. As of yet nothing has been confirmed what will happen in most schools/universities. they're waiting for government guidance
I heard from my friend that London's Queen Mary uni has stopped all exams. They're going to find out tomorrow what the alternative is. My bet is if schools/unis are shut down from next week, their gonna all do their exams in the summer until this whole thing blows over. It's unfortunate but that's just the way it is.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hes following herd immunity. Idk how this will work. I mean it did work with measles but for measles 95% had to be infected. Boris claims 60% of infections is needed. But he still cannot force the population. People will cause a massive outrage if he imposes any sort of rule.
I think their argument, which is theoretically sound, is that the virus may return in the future or people may get re-infected. So, in order to minimise or eliminate the threat, it is best for a majority of the population to have contracted the virus and developed an immunity.

The problem is that to get immunity, you have to first contract the virus. This means that many people have to get the virus, then fight it and win the fight. We dont know the impact of that activity and dont know the number that may lose the fight.

At the moment, the claim is that the virus has a 1% mortality rate. So if 60% of the population should get it, then it would be 39 million cases with approximately 400,000 deaths. That is a lot of deaths, hence the negative reaction.
Last edited by Wired_1800; 2 weeks ago
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
Guess who’s back back back, back again again again
tigger’s back back back tell a friend
here to prove prove prove, everyone wrong wrong wrong
when washing hands hands hands, and singing a song song song
won’t protect protect protect, my grandparents, parents, parents
please go away, away, away, from tsr, r, r
you make me want, want, want, to dive in front of a car, car, car
Grow up.
Anonymousamie
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Grow up.
Oops did I hit a nerve?
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
Oops did I hit a nerve?
Nope you are just behaving like an ignorant child.
Anonymousamie
Rep:
?
Even the Netherlands has closed schools now! Will we?
Zahra_2001
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
What we shouldn't do is panic. You sound like you are panicing. Shutting everything down simply delays the outbreak to resume at the point we come out of hiding. Most of us are going to get this virus. The question is how do we achieve this without putting too much stress on the NHS?

What do you suggest?
But then there's no proof that herd immunity will work as the WHO has said. The UK government is basing its decisions on merely scientific theories. There is evidence that Covid-19 mutates just like the flu that's why we don't have herd immunity from the flu. And the flu is less dangerous as we have a vaccination against it also it is 2 to 3 times less contagious (as well as less deadly to an extent because it is less contagious and we have a vaccine).

So since there is no proof for herd immunity and our NHS isn't strong enough now to deal with many people needing ICU wouldn't the best decision be to impose self-isolation and shutting schools down?

And even if herd immunity does work won't it be at the expense of people's lives. Some students, even young have health issues so they wouldn't be able to fight it off so do teachers and their families.

In my opinion, the safest bet is to close down schools and tell people to work from home. Like even the Austrian government sent it's citizens in the UK msgs to return to Austria as they believe the UK's response is inadequate.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
But we are not other countries. What may work for others may not work for us and visa versa. What is certain is that most of us are going to catch it but most young people will not suffer.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
But we are not other countries. What may work for others may not work for us and visa versa. What is certain is that most of us are going to catch it but most young people will not suffer.
So we have to knock off the OAPs?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No, it seems clear what we must do, we must start deporting all the children. They're not much more than an army of typhoid marys
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
No, it seems clear what we must do, we must start deporting all the children. They're not much more than an army of typhoid marys
But the children probably have healthier systems than OAPs
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No. But if the healthy get it in a controlked manner they will provide protection to the vulnerable through herd immunity.
TheStarboy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Guess who’s back back back, back again again again
tigger’s back back back tell a friend
here to prove prove prove, everyone wrong wrong wrong
when washing hands hands hands, and singing a song song song
won’t protect protect protect, my grandparents, parents, parents
please go away, away, away, from tsr, r, r
you make me want, want, want, to dive in front of a car, car, car
Cringe. What a child
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No. But if the healthy get it in a controlked manner they will provide protection to the vulnerable through herd immunity.
That is fair, but that is not what is happening hence the reaction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads