What is Johnson doing? Coronavirus

Watch
Anonymousamie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Please help me. My brothers university closed today, so he’s coming home and now I have to share a room with my sister again. I’m doing A levels, she stays up till past midnight and I can’t cope with it. I have extreme anxiety I’m going to fail
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
That is fair, but that is not what is happening hence the reaction.
Isn't it? Last time I looked we only had around 30 deaths off 1500ish confirmed cases. A bit if a drop in the ocean given 70 million in population. It is worth pointing out that around 1500 people die in this country every day anyway.

So what should we be doing?
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Isn't it? Last time I looked we only had around 30 deaths off 1500ish confirmed cases. A bit if a drop in the ocean given 70 million in population. It is worth pointing out that around 1500 people die in this country every day anyway.

So what should we be doing?
We should be careful. We are behind the trend countries like Spain, Italy and co where there has been an explosion.
Anonymousamie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymousamie)
Please help me. My brothers university closed today, so he’s coming home and now I have to share a room with my sister again. I’m doing A levels, she stays up till past midnight and I can’t cope with it. I have extreme anxiety I’m going to fail
Anyone????
KawaiiArtist
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Anyone????
Talk to her and arrange something between the two of you, such as set times you can use the room for studying, and a 'curfew' for her staying up doing things if shes in the shared room. Can't you study in another room at times, and likewise she can do her stuff in other parts of the house sometimes? If nothing comes of it, sit down and discuss it with your parents.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Anyone????
must suck to have to share a room... who get's the bigger room?
Anonymousamie
Rep:
?
(Original post by KawaiiArtist)
Talk to her and arrange something between the two of you, such as set times you can use the room for studying, and a 'curfew' for her staying up doing things if shes in the shared room. Can't you study in another room at times, and likewise she can do her stuff in other parts of the house sometimes? If nothing comes of it, sit down and discuss it with your parents.
Thank you, should I tell my teachers about the extra stress too?
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
this^^
Anonymousamie
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1st superstar)
must suck to have to share a room... who get's the bigger room?
Yep I’m 17 and she’s 19 so all we do is argue haha. Well my brother is 21 so he gets the smallest room and we both share the big one, then when he’s gone she moves into the smaller room because it’s brighter and more cosy I guess.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yep I’m 17 and she’s 19 so all we do is argue haha. Well my brother is 21 so he gets the smallest room and we both share the big one, then when he’s gone she moves into the smaller room because it’s brighter and more cosy I guess.
i see
KawaiiArtist
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you, should I tell my teachers about the extra stress too?
I mean, sure if you want to. I'm sure most teachers are aware that most students are going to be stressed anyway because of the virus, worrying about family etc.
Anonymousamie
Rep:
?
I mean, sure if you want to. I'm sure most teachers are aware that most students are going to be stressed anyway because of the virus, worrying about family etc.
Yeah that’s right maybe it’s unnecessary
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We should be careful. We are behind the trend countries like Spain, Italy and co where there has been an explosion.
Totall agreed. Which is why shutting up shop now is probably premature.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Totall agreed. Which is why shutting up shop now is probably premature.
I think we need to
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think we need to
Hmmm - not convinced. We can bury out heads in the sand but the virus will still be there when we come out in three months. The only thing that can stop it is a vaccine or herd immunity which involves lots of people getting it.

The clamour to shut everything down is a bit like when everyone rushes to get onto a plane first when the gate opens, forgetting that everyone's seat is allocated and being first on simply means you spend more time sitting in an uncomfortable seat with screaming babies and coughing people.
bfm.mcdermott
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I shared a bedroom with my sister for 17 years through my GCSEs and AS-levels. She was 5 years older and very loud and messy.
I used to put a blanket on the floor in the corner of my living room, lay all my books out, and revise there. If my parents were being loud, I would wear headphones, or sometimes go to their bedroom and revise there. When my sister was out, I would use the bedroom as usual. If my sister and my parents were being distracting or we had guests over, I would go to my local library/cafe and study there (although I understand this might not be an option with coronavirus etc.)
At night, when she was watching her films, I would just have to deal with it or put earphones (playing classical music etc.) in.

If your brother goes out/in the living room, you could use his/your room. I.E. Go wherever it is quietest. If your school is still open, maybe you could stay late at the library and study there.

Also, try and talk to your sister and explain that you really need her to help you with this by going to sleep earlier or wearing headphones/using subtitles/going into the living room at night before she's ready to sleep.
Hopefully she will understand. If she still isn't helping, talk to your parents and see if they can get her to be more helpful.
hotchocolate66
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hmmm - not convinced. We can bury out heads in the sand but the virus will still be there when we come out in three months. The only thing that can stop it is a vaccine or herd immunity which involves lots of people getting it.

The clamour to shut everything down is a bit like when everyone rushes to get onto a plane first when the gate opens, forgetting that everyone's seat is allocated and being first on simply means you spend more time sitting in an uncomfortable seat with screaming babies and coughing people.
Agreed. Lockdown isnt helping Italy or Spain AT ALL.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

That is not necessarily true though.

If you banned public interaction and people self-isolate those with the disease would have the ailment and either get cured or die from it. The disease is not permanently in the air.

If we had a lockdown for about 8 weeks (crazy, I know), I think this would help matters. China locked down the key hot spots and now things are picking up.
hotchocolate66
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That is not necessarily true though.

If you banned public interaction and people self-isolate those with the disease would have the ailment and either get cured or die from it. The disease is not permanently in the air.

If we had a lockdown for about 8 weeks (crazy, I know), I think this would help matters. China locked down the key hot spots and now things are picking up.
You want us to starve for 8 weeks? Also China is a liar.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hotchocolate66)
You want us to starve for 8 weeks? Also China is a liar.
No, not starve but stay at home and come out for essential activities only.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads