AJ's Spring Anime Preview 2020

Watch
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Another new anime season is swiftly approaching, so here's what you can look forward to watching while stuck in self isolation. :sick:

...that's assuming they even air, already we've had one of Spring's biggest shows delayed due to COVID-19. So if you're here for information on Re:ZERO S2, I'm sorry to disappoint. :moon: Hopefully that'll be the only one impacted, but I'll post any relevant news here as soon as I hear it.

(These series are all due to air in the first few weeks of April. If you're looking for something to watch between now and then, maybe check last season's preview thread for some ideas!)

Appare-Ranman! - DELAYED AFTER EPISODE 3

Genre: Historical
Animation Studio: P.A. Works
Japanese Airdate: Apr 10, 2020
Director: Hashimoto Masakazu (Tari Tari, Haruchika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru)

(Original post by Summary:)
During the back-end of the 19th century, the genius but socially awkward engineer Sorano Appare and the wise yet cowardly samurai Isshiki Kosame find themselves drifting in the sea between Japan and America. With no money, the duo decide to enter the Trans-America Wild Race to win the prize money so they can get home. The two encounter rivals, bandits, and challenges in the wilderness as they race through America, from the starting line in Los Angeles to the finish line in New York, in the steam-powered car they built.
Wow, Spring is off to a good start! Love the setting, music and character designs, this show has so much style. Definitely giving this a go.

Argonavis from BanG Dream!

Genre: Music
Animation Studio: SANZIGEN
Japanese Airdate: Apr 11, 2020
Director: Nishikiori Hiroshi (Kidou Tenshi Angelic Layer, Toaru Majutsu no Index)

Ren Nanahoshi is a lonely college student who isn't good at communicating with others. He remembers the thrill of watching a live band perform when he was young, and spent most of his days searching for his own identity. One day, while singing karaoke alone, two boys named Yuuto and Wataru discover Ren's singing ability. The two agree: "This is fate. Let's start a band!" Ren promptly runs away, but fate indeed steps in, and their journey begins.
This one is a spin-off of BanG Dream, which I haven't watched. Maybe it'll work as a stand-alone series, but either way it won't be high on my priority list.

Arte

Genre: Slice of Life, Historical
Animation Studio: Seven Arcs
Japanese Airdate: Apr 4, 2020
Director: Hamana Takayuki (Wellber no Monogatari: Sisters of Wellber, Kemono no Souja Erin)

Firenze, early 16th century. The birthplace of the renaissance era, where art is thriving. In one small corner of this vast city, one sheltered girl’s journey begins. She dreams of becoming an artist, an impossible career for a girl born into a noble family. In those days, art was an exclusively male profession, with woman facing strong discrimination. In spite of these challenges, Arte perseveres with hard work and a positive attitude!
Renaissance Italy is new territory for me in anime. I'm fine with all these interesting historical series. More, please!

Bakugan: Armored Alliance

Genre: Action, Game
Animation Studio: TMS Entertainment
Japanese Airdate: February 16, 2020 (Canada); March 1, 2020 (USA); April 3, 2020 (Japan)
Director: Ichikawa Kazuya (Bakugan: Battle Planet, Chuubyou Gekihatsu Boy)

Second season of Bakugan: Battle Planet.
This franchise launched too late to be part of my childhood, but is clearly still doing well 13 years later... possibly more in North America than Japan, judging by the fact they got this early!

BNA

Genre: Fantasy
Animation Studio: Trigger
Japanese Airdate: Apr 9, 2020
Director: Yoshinari You (Little Witch Academia: Mahoujikake no Parade, Little Witch Academia (TV))

An original anime by Studio Trigger, BNA is set in a 21st century in which the existence of humanoid animals has been revealed to the world after living in the darkness for centuries. One day, a high school student named Michiru suddenly turns into a tanuki person. After going to live in Anima City, where she meets wolf Ogami Shiro, she goes on to investigate why she became an animal and gets mixed up in even stranger events in the process.
I'm also very okay with the increased number of juujin anime in recent seasons! Coming from Trigger, this should be flashy if nothing else.

Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma (Resumed airing)

Genre: Action, Fantasy
Animation Studio: OLM
Director: Watanabe Toshinori (Tokyo Ghoul:Re, Mix: Meisei Story)

You are in a world where you can meet famous Japanese historical writers. With a party composed of other writers, you delve into tainted books to purify them, unlock secrets, and gain new allies.
The above is presumably the synopsis of the game this anime is based on... though if they did go down the Makura no Danshi-style first person role play route, that would be very interesting indeed!

Cardfight!! Vanguard Gaiden: If - DELAYED UNTIL MAY 30TH

Japanese Airdate: April 30th of May 2020
Director: :iiam:

The series will explore an alternate universe to the main series, and will focus on Kouji Ibuki, an antagonist in the Cardfight!! Vanguard Movie: Neon Messiah, and Suiko Tatsunagi.
As is often the case with kids anime (except when they've already been airing for a month in Canada), very little info out there for this one.

Digimon Adventure: - DELAYED AFTER EPISODE 3

Genre: Action, Adventure
Animation Studio: Toei Animation
Japanese Airdate: Apr 5, 2020
Director: Mitsuka Masato (Mahou Tsukai Precure!)

The new anime will take place in 2020 and will feature an all-new story centering on Taichi Yagami when he is in his fifth year in elementary school. His partner is Agumon. The story begins in Tokyo when a large-scale network malfunction occurs. Taichi is preparing for his weekend summer camping trip when the incident happens. Taichi's mother and his younger sister Hikari get stuck on a train that won't stop moving, and Taichi heads to Shibuya in order to help them. However, on his way there, he encounters a strange phenomenon and sweeps him up into the Digital World along with the other DigiDestined.
Now this one was a big part of my childhood. Does that mean I want to watch a new story, 20 years later, featuring the same characters? ...maybe.

Fruits Basket 2nd Season

Genre: Supernatural, Drama
Animation Studio: TMS Entertainment
Japanese Airdate: Apr 7, 2020

It’s been almost a year since Tooru started living at Shigure’s house! Though she now has a deeper relationship with each of the Soumas, not just Yuki and Kyou, she is concerned about their sinister curse’s true nature. The right path to choose, predetermined destiny… what emotions will arise in Yuki, Kyou and Tooru in the face of the Eternal Banquet? What will be their resolve?
The Fruits Basket remake was #4 on my list of 'series I should have watched last year, but didnt'. I still haven't seen it unfortunately, so will give this a miss for now.

Fugou Keiji: Balance : Unlimited - DELAYED UNTIL JULY AFTER EPISODE 2

Genre: Mystery
Animation Studio: CloverWorks
Japanese Airdate: April 2020
Director: Itou Tomohiko (Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin, Boku dake ga Inai Machi)

Daisuke Kanbe, a detective with extraordinary assets, is assigned to the Modern Crime Prevention Headquarters, where only those who have caused problems for the Metropolitan Police Department are sent. There, Daisuke is partnered with Haru Katou. Haru is repulsed by Daisuke's material ways, believing that money isn't everything. Challenging mysteries unfold in front of the two detectives, and they must work together to solve them.
Who doesn't like a detective with extraordinary assets? :p: Trailer seemed good, and the director has experience with mystery shows that didn't suck, so I'm optimistic.

Gal to Kyouryuu - DELAYED AFTER EPISODE 7

Genre: Slice of Life, Comedy
Animation Studio: Kamikaze Douga, Space Neko Company
Director: Aoki Jun (Hennako-chan, Space Neko Theater)

A gyaru named Kaede picks up a dinosaur and begins living with it in her room. The dinosaur eats human food, watches TV, and even enjoys being fashionable.
Seems likely that this will have short length episodes, judging by the director and studios involved. Love the dinosaur's design, though.

Gal-gaku.: Hijiri Girls Square Gakuin - DELAYED AFTER EPISODE 4

Genre: Music, School
Animation Studio: OLM, Wit Studio
Japanese Airdate: Apr 6, 2020
Director: Takahashi Norihito (Hina Logi: From Luck & Logic)

The anime is set in Holy Girls Square Academy, an academy for training pro star performers. The anime will focus on students who aim to participate in the academy's annual big event, the Girls' Arena.
Sounds like every band/idol school anime synopsis ever, featuring nine girls with the same face. Not for me, I don't think.

Gleipnir

Genre: Action, Mystery
Animation Studio: Pine Jam
Director: Yoneda Kazuhiro (Akatsuki no Yona, Kabukibu!)

Kagaya Shuuichi is an ordinary high school kid in a boring little town. But when a beautiful classmate is caught in a warehouse fire, he discovers a mysterious power: he can transform into a furry dog with an oversized revolver and a zipper down his back. He saves the girl's life, sharing his secret with her. But she's searching for the sister who killed her family, and she doesn't care how degrading it gets: she will use Shuuichi to accomplish her mission...
Really interesting premise... Pine Jam is the last studio I'd associate with action however, here's hoping they can pull it off.

Hachi-nan tte, Sore wa Nai deshou!

Animation Studio: SynergySP, Shin-Ei Animation
Japanese Airdate: Apr 2, 2020
Director: Miura Tatsuo

Shingo Ichinomiya, a 25-year-old man working at a firm company, while thinking of tomorrow's busy working day, goes to sleep. However, when he woke up, he found himself in a room unknown to him and realized that he is inside a 6-years-old body, taking over his body and mind. He soon learns from the memories of the boy that the boy was born as the youngest child of a poor noble family living in a back country. Having no administrative skill, he can't do anything to manage the vast land his family has. Fortunately, he is blessed with a very rare talent, the talent of magic. Unfortunately, while his talent could bring prosperity to his family, in his situation it only brought disaster. This is the story of the boy, Wendelin Von Benno Baumeister, opening his own path in a harsh world.
While it's true that I have a slot free for an isekai series, due to Re:Zero getting delayed... this one looks and sounds awful.

Hakushon Daimaou (2020)

Genre: Comedy, Fantasy
Animation Studio: Tatsunoko Production, Nippon Animation
Director: Nigorikawa Atsushi (Ren`ai Boukun, Boku no Tonari ni Ankoku Hakaishin ga Imasu.)

50 years have passed since the events of the original Hakushon Daimaou series. Akubi is training to become queen when she meets Kantarou Yodama, the grandson of the genie bottle's original owner, Kan-chan. Together, Akubi and Kantarou take on many jobs in the human world and learn the importance of having a dream.
The latest classic anime to get rebooted, though it looks as though Akubi has had several animated spin-offs over the years. Looks cute, though as with many Spring offerings, more child-oriented.

Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen 2nd Season

Genre: Slice of Life, Fantasy
Animation Studio: Ajia-Do
Director: Hongou Mitsuru (Seihou Bukyou Outlaw Star, Megami Kouhosei)

Second half of Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen.
The first series was was #5 on my list of 'anime I should have watched last year, but didnt'. I still haven't seen it unfortunately, so will also give this a miss for now.

Houkago Teibou Nisshi - DELAYED UNTIL JULY AFTER EPISODE 3

Animation Studio: Doga Kobo
Director: Ookuma Takaharu

First year student Hina Tsurugi prefers to do indoor activities such as crafting. Having recently moved to a seaside town, she runs into an older schoolmate, Kuroiwa, who invites her to join the "Teibou" club and start fishing! Surrounded by eccentric club members, how will Hina's high school life turn out?
Koisuru Asteroid ends soon, but as always Doga Kobo has another high school girl club anime waiting to take its place. And it'll probably be good, they're masters at this point.

IDOLiSH7: Second Beat! - DELAYED AFTER EPISODE 4

Genre: Music
Animation Studio: TROYCA
Director: Bessho Makoto (Shangri-La, Idolish Seven)

Second season of IDOLiSH7.
I didn't watch the First Beat two years ago, so will be skipping this. Apparently it's one of the best of its genre, however.

Jashin-chan Dropkick'

Genre: Comedy, Supernatural
Animation Studio: Nomad

Second season of Jashin-chan Dropkick.
The series may only have one joke, but it delivers it well. I'm up for more of Jashin-chan being a jerk to everyone, and look forward to seeing what the new characters will add to the mix.

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai?: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen

Genre: Romance, Comedy
Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures
Director: Hatakeyama Mamoru (Sankarea, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu)

Second season of Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen.
The first series was was #2 on my list of 'anime I should have watched last year, but didnt'. Fortunately, I made time for this one this month, and it is glorious. Definitely continuing with it.

Kakushigoto

Animation Studio: Ajia-Do
Director: Murano Yuuta (Brave Beats, Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu)

"We will open the curtain back in time, to the story of one lone manga creator."

This story is about Gotou Kakushi, an artist who draws a somewhat vulgar manga, and tries to hide it for the sake of his daughter, Hime. A father-daughter tale of love and laughter.
This is based on a manga by Kumeta Kouji, of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Joshiraku fame. That alone has me interested!

Kami no Tou

Animation Studio: Telecom Animation Film
Japanese Airdate: Apr 1, 2020
Director: Sano Takashi (Transformers: SuperLink, Sengoku Basara: Judge End)

Tower of God centers around a boy called Twenty-Fifth Bam, who has spent most of his life trapped beneath a vast and mysterious Tower, with only his close friend, Rachel, to keep him company. When Rachel enters the Tower, Bam manages to open the door into it as well, and faces challenges at each floor of this tower as he tries to find his closest companion.
Very unusual art style! I've heard good things about the original story, so this is another series for the want to watch pile.

Kingdom 3rd Season

Genre: Action, Historical
Animation Studio: Studio Signpost
Director: Imaizumi Ken`ichi (Gokukoku no Brynhildr, Houkago Saikoro Club)

Third season of Kingdom.
Six years after the previous series ended! And in all that time, I still haven't watched Kingdom, despite all the good reviews.

Kiratto Pri☆chan Season 3

Genre: Music, Magic
Animation Studio: Tatsunoko Production
Director: Ikehata Hiroshi (Murenase! Seton Gakuen, Akiba's Trip The Animation)

Third season of Kiratto Pri☆chan.
Yet another sequel to something I haven't seen, so won't be bothering with. No trailers available yet, as far as I can see.
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 5 months ago
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Kitsutsuki Tanteidokoro

Genre: Mystery, Historical
Animation Studio: LIDENFILMS
Japanese Airdate: Apr 13, 2020
Director: Makino Tomoe

A ghost was seen on the 12th floor of the Asakusa Juunikai building. A newspaper article featuring the sighting brought together Takuboku Ishikawa, who runs a private detective agency to support his family, and his assistant Kyosuke Kindaichi to solve the case.
A historical mystery series based on an actual novel (not a light novel, as you can tell by the fact its title only consists of two words) – I'm interested!

Listeners

Genre: Sci-Fi, Music
Animation Studio: MAPPA
Director: Andou Hiroaki (Digital Juice, Ajin)

Set in a world where the concept of music ceases to exist. the story begins when a boy encounters Myuu, a mysterious girl who possesses an audio input jack in her body. The two intermingle with the history of rock music and embark on an unforgettable journey.
Yep, I'm looking forward to this one too! Cool premise, very varied character designs. As expected from MAPPA.

Major 2nd Season 2 - DELAYED AFTER EPISODE 4 (Resumes 30th of May)

Genre: Sports, Drama
Japanese Airdate: Apr 4 2020
Director: Watanabe Ayumu (Uchuu Kyoudai, Koi wa Ameagari no You ni)

Second season of Major 2nd.
The numbering is a bit confusing, as Major is a huge franchise with multiple sequels. Major 2nd focuses on a new generation of characters, however, and this is the direct sequel to that.

Mewkledreamy - DELAYED AFTER EPISODE 4 (Resumes 31st of May)

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy
Animation Studio: J.C.Staff
Director: Sakurai Hiroaki (Di Gi Charat, GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class)

The story begins when a middle school girl named Yume sees something fall from the sky, and meets a pale violet-colored kitten named Mew. It turns out that Mew has the power of "Yume Synchro" (Dream Synchro), the power to enter dreams. In the dream world, the girl and Mew collect Dream Stones.
No. This is too much sugary sweetness. I have a dental appointment in a couple of months. Might throw them a vote in this year's Sanrio Character Rankings, though.

Nami yo Kiitekure

Genre: Comedy, Drama
Animation Studio: Sunrise
Japanese Airdate: Apr 3, 2020
Director: Minamikawa Tatsuma (Gekijouban Fairy Tail: Dragon Cry, Ekimemo!)

The stage is Sapporo, Hokkaido. One night, our heroine, Minare Koda, spills her heartbroken woes to a radio station worker she meets while out drinking one night. The next day, she hears a recording of her pitiful grumbling being played live over the air. Minare storms into the station in a rage, only to then be duped by the station director into doing an impromptu talk show explaining her harsh dialogue. With just one recording, the many eccentric facets of Minare's life begin to pull every which direction as she falls ever deeper into the world of radio.
I've been meaning to read the manga for years, but that anime trailer has doubled my interest. This might just be top of my want to watch pile now.

No Guns Life 2nd Season - DELAYED UNTIL JULY

Genre: Action, Sci-Fi
Animation Studio: Madhouse
Japanese Airdate: Apr 10, 2020 Delayed due to Covid-19

Second half of No Guns Life.
A solid sci-fi action show, with very likable characters – looking forward to seeing what cases end up on Inui Juuzou's desk this time.

Norimono Man: Mobile Land no Car-kun

Genre: Cars, Comedy
Animation Studio: CloverWorks
Director: Sasaki Shinobu (Duel Masters Versus, Duel Masters!)

The anime will depict various vehicles as characters in the "Mobile Land" island. The protagonist Car-kun arrives at the island as a delivery worker. Through his deliveries, he gets to know the residents of Mobile Land, all while following traffic rules and having his deliveries stopped by the meddling Sabibi.
Cars with faces, teaching traffic rules. This probably has the youngest target audience of anything covered so far, very cute stuff.

Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei Shíteshimatta...

Genre: Comedy, Drama
Animation Studio: Silver Link.
Director: Inoue Keisuke (Midara na Ao-chan wa Benkyou ga Dekinai)

Eight-year-old Katarina Claes is the only daughter of a duke, living her life peacefully and without incident until she hits her head on a rock... and then remembers that she is not actually the duke's daughter. She used to be an otaku who died on her way to school after spending the previous night playing Fortune Lover, her favorite otome game. After noticing that her current surroundings seem oddly familiar, she is shocked to discover that she has been reincarnated into the world of Fortune Lover as the villainess.

The villainess in the game usually winds up dead or exiled, so Katarina decides to use her knowledge of the game and its routes to avoid any bad situations. But is it even possible for the villainess to reach a good ending?
Long light novel title, otaku reincarnated in a game world... and yet, it might just have enough of a unique spin on this tired premise to capture my interest. Deserving of a chance, at least.

Princess Connect! Re:Dive

Animation Studio: CygamesPictures
Director: Kanasaki Takaomi (Kore wa Zombie Desuka?, Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o!)

Set in the lovely land of Astoria where a gentle wind blows, Princess Connect! Re: Dive follows the adventures of: Yuuki, an amnesiac young man; Kokkoro, a small guide who looks after Yuuki; Pecorine, a beautiful swordswoman who is constantly hungry; and Karyl, a cat-eared magical girl with a somewhat cool personality. These fateful four form a guild entitled "Bishoku-dono" ("Epicurean Hall" and embark on delicious adventures together.
I'm getting Shiawase no Pan flashbacks... but everything Cygames touches turns to gold. I'm also interested to see how their own animation studio's first full-length series goes, so this is a maybe.

Shachou, Battle no Jikan Desu!

Animation Studio: C2C
Director: Ikeshíta Hironori

Anime adaptation of the smartphone strategy game. The isekai strategy role-playing game is set in a world where dimensional gates suddenly appeared in the skies, opening portals to countless dungeons. The story imagines if the player is a company president who employs adventurers to take on dungeons filled with monsters for the treasures that lie within. The player "recruits" or trains fighters, mages, knights, hunters, rogues, and other classes of employees, and then dispatches the employees into battles.
MEH. Seriously though, that's enough fantasy series for now. I'm ready for a new genre. Haven't had much sport or mech yet...

Shadowverse

Genre: Fantasy, Game
Animation Studio: Zexcs
Director: Kawaguchi Keiichirou (Hayate no Gotoku!, Island)

Based on a free-to-play digital collectible card video game developed and published by Cygames.
AKA the digital card game I would definitely be spending all my time playing, if I wasn't already into MTG Arena. Not sure if the anime has me interested though, again this seems more child focused.

Shin Sakura Taisen the Animation

Genre: Sci-Fi, Mecha
Animation Studio: SANZIGEN
Japanese Airdate: Apr 3, 2020
Director: Ono Manabu (Saki, Kyoukaisen-jou no Horizon)

In 1930, two years after the events of So Long, My Love, the Great Demon War results in the annihilation of the Imperial, Paris and New York Combat Revues' Flower Divisions. With Earth at peace and the revues' actions becoming public, the World Combat Revue Organization is formed with several international divisions; a biennial international Combat Revue tournament has been organized.

Ten years later in 1940, Imperial Japanese Navy captain Seijuurou Kamiyama is assigned as the captain of the new Imperial Combat Revue's Flower Division in Tokyo, which consists of: Sakura Amamiya, a swordswoman and new recruit; Hatsuho Shinonome, a shrine maiden and the most popular actress; Anastasia Palma, a newly-transferred Greek actress; Azami Mochizuki, a ninja prodigy from the Mochizuki clan; and Clarissa "Clarise" Snowflake, a Luxembourgian noblewoman. The division once again faces a new demon invasion and participates in the upcoming tournament–while trying to keep their home at the Imperial Theater open.
This was a franchise, wasn't it? I guess I did ask for more mechs, but this wasn't quite what I had in mind. I'll probably leave this until I finally get around to watching the first TV anime adaptation.

Shironeko Project: Zero Chronicle

Animation Studio: Project No.9
Director: Jinbou Masato (Chaos;Child, Isekai Shokudou)

In a world consisting of numerous isles, a young hero from the Astora Isle encounters the adventurer Kyle and follows him on an expedition on the isle. They meet a mysterious girl named Iris and a talking white cat, and together they make their way to the isle's ruins, where they find a flying island. Kyle becomes consumed by darkness there, and the party resolves to travel to the ends of the world on the flying island in order to find the seven "Great Runes", following Kyle's words before he disappeared.
Half way through reading that synopsis, every word started to look like 'Isle island isle, isle Kyle island'. Animation in the trailer didn't look great, either.

Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara - DELAYED AFTER EPISODE 2

Genre: Ecchi, Food
Animation Studio: J.C.Staff
Director: Yonetani Yoshítomo (Betterman, Vatican Kiseki Chousakan)

Fifth season of Shokugeki no Souma.
I haven't kept up with this since S2; food anime don't usually do much for me, aside from make me hungry. The comedy had its moments, but the fanservice was weird.

Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season - DELAYED UNTIL JULY

Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures
Japanese Airdate: Apr 26, 2020 Delayed due to Covid-19

Second part of Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld.
Or 'Sword Art Online Season 3 Season 2 Season 2', as I've heard it being referred to, and is technically accurate. Here's another big franchise that I'm long done with.

Tamayomi

Genre: Sports, School
Animation Studio: Studio A-CAT
Director: Fukushima Toshinori (Major (2007), Major (2008))

In her Junior High years, the pitcher Yomi Takeda was not able to get very far in a cross-school baseball tournament. Since the catcher on her team wasn't at her level, she couldn't use her signature move, the "Magic Throw," and eventually regretted not being able to use it. After Junior High, she decided to stop playing baseball and went to Shin Koshigaya High School, a school without a baseball club.

There, she found her long lost childhood friend, Tamaki Yamazaki, who used to play catchball with her when they were kids. Tamaki also played baseball during her Junior High years as a catcher, and could even catch Yomi's "Magic Throw!"

Their promise with each other during their childhood could now be fulfilled! Walking together on the road of baseball once again...

The story of the girls who love baseball will begin!
More sport, at last! I've seen a fair few baseball series over the years though, whether this can compete with the likes of Princess Nine or Cross Game remains to be seen.

Tomica Kizuna Gattai: Earth Granner

Genre: Action, Sci-Fi
Director: Ushiro Shinji (Shukufuku no Campanella, Youkai Watch)

The anime centers on the battles between the mysterious alien enemy Dark Spinner and the secret defense unit Earth Granner over Earth Energy, the energy generated from the Earth's rotation.
WTF is a Granner? Anyway, flashy transforming and combining cars beating up alien fidget spinners is an incredible premise, but I'm clearly not the target audience here.

Tsugu Tsugumomo

Genre: Supernatural, Ecchi
Animation Studio: Zero-G
Director: Kuraya Ryouichi (Tsugumomo, Dorei-ku The Animation)

Second season of Tsugumomo.
Watching the awesome action scenes and fantastic music in the first half of the trailer, I started asking myself why I skipped the first series. Then the ecchi scenes in the second half started, and I remembered.

Watanuki-san Chi to

Genre: Drama, Slice of Life
Animation Studio: Helo

The second season of Watanuki-san Chi no.
...there was a first series? From what I can gather, they're a family of virtual Youtubers. The 'trailer' here is actually a 30 minute announcement video, which I decided against watching to completion. Not for me.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan - DELAYED UNTIL JULY

Genre: Drama, Romance
Animation Studio: feel.
Japanese Airdate: Apr 10, 2020 Delayed due to Covid-19
Director: Oikawa Kei (Outbreak Company, Uma Musume: Pretty Derby)

Third season of Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.
A popular series, and one I'm actually up to date with thanks to constant recommendations... but I've never really been that into it. Also, it's been 5 years since S2, and I don't remember a thing. Doubtful, but maybe?

Yesterday wo Utatte

Genre: Romance, Drama
Animation Studio: Doga Kobo
Director: Fujiwara Yoshiyuki (Mikakunin de Shinkoukei, New Game!)

After college, Rikuo Uozumi, a boy without much ambition in life, takes on a job at a convenience store. The days pass by uneventfully for Rikuo until he meets his former girlfriend and classmate, but especially thanks to the unusual Haru Nonaka, and her pet raven...
This... doesn't feel like your average Doga Kobo series! :zomg: As with any slice of life / drama series, it's hard to form an impression before it airs, as so much will depend on the characters and writing. Another maybe.

Yu☆Gi☆Oh!: Sevens - DELAYED AFTER EPISODE 5

Animation Studio: Bridge
Director: Kondou Nobuhiro (Nobunagun, Seisen Cerberus: Ryuukoku no Fatalite)

A new television anime series for the 20th anniversary of the anime franchise.
And finally, a 20th anniversary Yu-Gi-Oh! series~ Because the anime began with Duel Monsters in April 2000, and there was definitely nothing before that.

All the info has been sourced from AniChart, AniDB, Youtube, MAL and AniList. If you think I've missed any upcoming full-length TV anime off this list, let me know and I'll look into them.
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 5 months ago
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Watching:

Jashin-chan Dropkick'

and whatever else doesn't get delayed or cancelled outright due to COVID-19 disruption. :grumble:
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 7 months ago
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
AngryJellyfish Just skim through some Anime release in Spring time but what I see suddenly was Digimon Adventures! could it be that a remake is planning?
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
AngryJellyfish Just skim through some Anime release in Spring time but what I see suddenly was Digimon Adventures! could it be that a remake is planning?
Yep. 20 year anniversary, presumably. :yes:
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
Yep. 20 year anniversary, presumably. :yes:
It is really twenty years ago that the first season was released? is it just the first season that gets a remake?
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
It is really twenty years ago that the first season was released? is it just the first season that gets a remake?
All I know is what's posted here. :dontknow: I imagine they'll announce what's next for the franchise once this upcoming series is over / almost over.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
All I know is what's posted here. :dontknow: I imagine they'll announce what's next for the franchise once this upcoming series is over / almost over.
What I see too is there seem to be new seasons for Yugioh and Fruits Basket. Is Yugioh!: Sevens a season for its own, so without any continuity?
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
What I see too is there seem to be new seasons for Yugioh and Fruits Basket. Is Yugioh!: Sevens a season for its own, so without any continuity?
I believe so, it's the 7th spin-off with new characters, hence the name.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
It begins!

Tamayomi

Not amazing. It followed all the usual sports anime tropes: two childhood friends bonded over baseball, separated at middle school, and are now reuniting in high school. One is still into baseball having been part of a major middle school team, the other turned her back on the sport after a bad experience... until now. There's currently no club in their school, so their next task will surely be recruiting other girls. Nothing made any of the characters introduced so far stand out. This is one of Studio A-Cat's first full length series, but the animation would have felt dated if it had aired a decade ago. It goes on the maybe pile, because it's the first thing I've seen, and I don't know whether things will get better or worse.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Tower of God

Climb to the top of the Tower of God, and apparently your wildest dreams will come true... though reaching the top is obviously no easy task. This series focuses on a boy named Bam, whose friend Rachel left one day to climb the tower. Now, he is undertaking the journey himself, in hopes of reuniting with her. It seems every floor of the tower features a different task, and even the first (getting past a giant ferocious eel creature and breaking an unbreakable orb) seemed harsh. The second seems to be a survival game, so they're certainly varied! Art style is very unusual, with sketchy lines, bold colours and weird eyes - I like it. Music by Kevin Penkin was superb. Definitely giving the rest of this series a shot.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Wave, Listen to Me!

Main character Koda Minare has recently gone through a messy breakup, but after going on a drunken rant to a complete stranger about her ex-partner, she was understandably shocked to hear her rant being broadcast on the radio only a day later! She storms the radio station seeking an explanation, but the guy responsible somehow convinces her (a complete amateur) to go live on air and comment on her outburst instead... no doubt this will be the start of a career as a radio talkshow host! A decent introductory episode, VERY heavy on dialogue, but that goes naturally with the radio theme. Not a setting I've come across before in anime, so I'll be picking it up for that alone!
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Arte

This series is set in Renaissance-era Firenze, and focuses on a young noblewoman named Arte. She is a skilled an enthusiastic artist, but none the city's workshops will even look at her work or consider hiring her, simply because she's female... apart from one man, Leo, who (expecting her to give up and go home) sets her the seemingly impossible task of preparing 20 wood panels for painting on in one night - a task she succeeds at, proving her determination is real. Now, she has left her sheltered life behind to live in a dilapidated shed on Leo's roof. I loved this episode: great setting, likeable heroine, nice animation and music. Best first episode I've seen so far at this early stage in the season.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Sing "Yesterday" for Me

Main character Rikuo is a recent university graduate, but has already written himself off as a social outcast and a failure. One day, he meets a mysterious high school dropout named Haru, who continues to visit him at his part time job, and show up unexpectedly. The third major character introduced in this episode was Shinako, Rikuo's friend + crush from uni, and also Haru's teacher prior to her suspension... let the love triangle begin! Much more of a drama than a romcom, with at least two of the characters going through tough times, and I'm sure the same will turn out to be true of Shinako as the story develops and we learn more about her. The writing is decent so far, so picked up.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Jashin-chan Dropkick'

It's a sequel, and based on this first episode, nothing has changed. This is the story of wannabe witch Yurine, and the lamia demon Jashin-chan who she summoned without good reason, and who now wants her dead. This is a gag comedy though, with Jashin-chan's stupid acts of revenge always failing terribly. Plenty of fourth wall breaking and pop culture references. The second half of the episode almost seemed to develop a plot, however, with the introduction of new character Pino, an angel who has come to take out two traitors from heaven... Picked up, I like this series' wacky humour. Also, all eleven episodes got dumped on Crunchyroll in one go, for those who prefer to marathon a series.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Gleipnir

One day, Kagaya Shuichi develops the power to transform into a large beast resembling a full-body mascot costume... this is certainly up there with the weirder anime premises! But as ridiculous as he may look, this form gives him super strength and sharpened senses, something he uses to rescue fellow pupil Aoki Clair from a fire. Unfortunately, it also seems to lower his inhibitions and heighten his sex drive... the fanservice in this show isn't the worst I've seen, but it'd be better without it. Anyway, seems there are more of these beast people around, and they have something to do with gold coins? All very mysterious at this point. I'm interested enough to keep it on, this season is low on action shows.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Kakushigoto

Our main character (Kakushi Goto, a name which can mean both 'secret' and 'drawing job') is a manga artist whose works are crude, but popular. He has a young daughter, and is determined to keep this job a secret from her at any cost. Definitely a Kumeta Kouji creation, it has his signature humour, wordplay and social commentary all over it, as well as his distinctive character designs. Also, the setting allows for plenty of gags about the manga industry. :p: This was hilarious, definitely the funniest series I've picked up this season so far, but the father-daughter relationship provided a lot of cute moments as well.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
No Guns Life S2 and Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan have both been delayed due to Covid-19; no new premiere dates have currently been given for either, so we don't know whether they're talking a few weeks or a whole season. :s:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Listeners

Main character Echo earns a living salvaging valuable parts in a giant scrap heap. One day, he finds a girl amongst the rubbish, who on top of having no memories of who she is, also has auxiliary port on her back - this identifies her as a 'Player', one of their world's only defences against the giant monsters known as the 'earless' who threaten humanity's existence. This felt like it was borrowing heavily from the likes of Eureka Seven and FLCL... tough acts to follow! It wasn't without style, the animation was decent and the music better still (important, as it's clearly a major plot focus!) - picked up for now, hopefully it'll develop some originality in the episodes to come.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season delayed until July.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (19)
30.65%
No - I have already returned home (8)
12.9%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (12)
19.35%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (3)
4.84%
No - I live at home during term anyway (20)
32.26%

Watched Threads