Can I change my name?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I hate being called Hannah so much. It doesn’t suit me, it’s so basic and overused. I’d love to change it
Anonymous #2
Report 8 months ago
Hannah Montana
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I hate being called Hannah so much. It doesn’t suit me, it’s so basic and overused. I’d love to change it
How old are you? There are two ways to change your name, and it depends on your age.

More info is here: https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll
Last edited by PhoenixFortune; 8 months ago
remussjhj01
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi. So, changing your name is a lot easier than people make it out to be. You just need to fill out a deed poll (you DO NOT need to enroll it). This basically says you relinquish the use of you old name fully and for all purposes, and take on your new name in all aspects. You then can take it to places like the bank, passport etc. and they'll change it on those documents. The form that I have is for people aged 16 or over. If you're under 16, I think it's a bit more complex.
One thing I would say is that you should try out a couple of new names with friends and family before committing to one for a legal change. Changing your name too many times legally can cause issues when doing this like applying for passports/drivers licences and jobs that require a DBS check, as you need proof of all your name changes.
Also make sure you're sure of your name, sure you want to change it. If you're not 16 yet, I would really recommend waiting until you're 16. Not only will this make it easier to change your name, but also probably cheaper and it gives you time to consider if this is definitely the right thing for you to do.
I changed my name when I was 16, and whilst I was sure before I was 16, I'm glad I waited. It gave everyone around me time to get used to it.
Anonymous #2
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by remussjhj01)
Hi. So, changing your name is a lot easier than people make it out to be. You just need to fill out a deed poll (you DO NOT need to enroll it). This basically says you relinquish the use of you old name fully and for all purposes, and take on your new name in all aspects. You then can take it to places like the bank, passport etc. and they'll change it on those documents. The form that I have is for people aged 16 or over. If you're under 16, I think it's a bit more complex.
One thing I would say is that you should try out a couple of new names with friends and family before committing to one for a legal change. Changing your name too many times legally can cause issues when doing this like applying for passports/drivers licences and jobs that require a DBS check, as you need proof of all your name changes.
Also make sure you're sure of your name, sure you want to change it. If you're not 16 yet, I would really recommend waiting until you're 16. Not only will this make it easier to change your name, but also probably cheaper and it gives you time to consider if this is definitely the right thing for you to do.
I changed my name when I was 16, and whilst I was sure before I was 16, I'm glad I waited. It gave everyone around me time to get used to it.
But you wouldn't have really ever changed your name? You will always remember the name you had growing up and the new name would just be something else you get call by regardless of who tells you that's your 'new' name
remussjhj01
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
But you wouldn't have really ever changed your name? You will always remember the name you had growing up and the new name would just be something else you get call by regardless of who tells you that's your 'new' name
Hi. So my name is legally changed. Just because I remember my old name doesn't mean my name isn't my name? It's on my passport, drivers licence, will be on my birth certificate once I've also legally changed my gender. It goes on all my employment forms, uni applications, qualification certificates. Everyone calls me it. It is my name.
And honestly, a lot of people don't remember my old name. Of course I do, but lots don't. Lots of people in my life don't even know my old name, and no one still calls me it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads