The Student Room Group

Migrant worker status

Hi! I am currently a first year BA student. I have been granted migrant worker status in order to get both tuition and maintenance loans. I am currently working 20h/week, however with a 0 hour contract. Until now that was not an issue because I was never given less than 20h/week. Unfortunately, with the outbreak of COVID19 my employer had to reduce hours on the staff. Whoever was full-time is now working part time and whoever was part time like me will not be working at all during the following weeks. I still have a contract with them as I have not been dismissed but I will not be offered any shifts until this situation settles and the business goes back to normal (if it does...). I suppose next month I will be asked for evidence from SFE to prove that I am still a migrant worker. What should I do to not lose my status and be able to continue with my studies? I thought about applying somewhere else but this situation has affected the whole industry where I work (hospitality) and will be affecting other areas very soon, so it will not be easy to get a new job.
Thank you very much.
Original post by Jo093
Hi! I am currently a first year BA student. I have been granted migrant worker status in order to get both tuition and maintenance loans. I am currently working 20h/week, however with a 0 hour contract. Until now that was not an issue because I was never given less than 20h/week. Unfortunately, with the outbreak of COVID19 my employer had to reduce hours on the staff. Whoever was full-time is now working part time and whoever was part time like me will not be working at all during the following weeks. I still have a contract with them as I have not been dismissed but I will not be offered any shifts until this situation settles and the business goes back to normal (if it does...). I suppose next month I will be asked for evidence from SFE to prove that I am still a migrant worker. What should I do to not lose my status and be able to continue with my studies? I thought about applying somewhere else but this situation has affected the whole industry where I work (hospitality) and will be affecting other areas very soon, so it will not be easy to get a new job.
Thank you very much.

Hi there,

If you are still employed and have not been confirmed this will not affect you, if you are asked for evidence that you are still in employment your employer can write a letter to confirm this on headed paper for you to keep your Migrant Worker status.

Thanks, Amy
Reply 2
Original post by Amy SFE
Hi there,

If you are still employed and have not been confirmed this will not affect you, if you are asked for evidence that you are still in employment your employer can write a letter to confirm this on headed paper for you to keep your Migrant Worker status.

Thanks, Amy

Thank you Amy!
Original post by Jo093
Thank you Amy!

You're welcome! Have a lovely day :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending