Get a tattoo or not????!?

Watch
mill782
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Do i get a tattoo---- i turn 18 next week and i want a little butterfly or something with not much meaning just pretty to sort of commemorate the past year. Is it a bad idea??
Feel like i'll regret it after a bit and think its rly ugly and basic.

PEOPLE WHO HAVE TATTOOS GIVE UR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH IT XXX
NathanJack1232
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mill782)
Do i get a tattoo---- i turn 18 next week and i want a little butterfly or something with not much meaning just pretty to sort of commemorate the past year. Is it a bad idea??

If you want the tattoo then get it. If you are unsure about if you would regret it or not then dont get it.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Dont - I have a tattoo and regret it very much
GutFeeling
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
my 1st tat was a full upper back piece i got at 19. now im a little older i still love it - it reminds me of a certain time in my life even though ive grown and am different now. it's kinda nostalgic tbh. i'd say if you're sure you want it (which i was), then get it - but spend a lot of time browsing potential tattooists to do it for you !! i feel like i would only really regret mine if i'd got the wrong person to do it
jennifugh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Tips - Don't do it just on a whim.
- Some people have the design they want next to their bed for a month to make sure they still like it - if you really hate a tattoo you can go down the route of removal but this probably isn't ideal and therefore you should think before getting a specific tattoo
- Don't just pick a design from Pinterest - I think a lot of people who regret tattoos is because the design has no resonance with them. No, you don't need a deep backstory behind every tattoo but I think you'd be happier if it were unique to you. Butterflies are cute and there are many ways to differentiate it (e.g. colour, outlines, is it minimalistic or dramatic etc.) but maybe have an in depth conversation with a tattoo artist about the design rather than picking a Google image
- Placement - Career wise is the avenue you're going into fussy about tattoos on show. A lot of celebrities opt for hand tattoos but this may not be ideal in all work environments. I think modern bosses are generally more liberal to tattoos but this should still be a thought before and not after getting the tattoo. Also, where would you want it - would you want it on your back or would you get annoyed at not seeing it everyday? would you go for ribs or is your pain tolerance not quite high enough? etc.
- Do your research about prices and aftercare. Is this something you really want to invest money on over something else? Are you going to take care of it afterwards to prevent fading/get colours redone. Whilst you may initially love a tattoo, will you love it long term?

Anyway, these are my best tips (honestly coming from a tattooless person). My main advice is make sure it is thought through
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

It does sound a bit basic tbh ....a tattoo with no meaning
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you feel like you'll regret it from your gut instinct, then don't do it. It'll stick with you and laser removal/coverups are both painful and expensive.

if you really want a tattoo then be sensible and wait for a design that you really like, something that does have meaning. You'll enjoy it a lot more.
mill782
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jennifugh)
Tips - Don't do it just on a whim.
- Some people have the design they want next to their bed for a month to make sure they still like it - if you really hate a tattoo you can go down the route of removal but this probably isn't ideal and therefore you should think before getting a specific tattoo
- Don't just pick a design from Pinterest - I think a lot of people who regret tattoos is because the design has no resonance with them. No, you don't need a deep backstory behind every tattoo but I think you'd be happier if it were unique to you. Butterflies are cute and there are many ways to differentiate it (e.g. colour, outlines, is it minimalistic or dramatic etc.) but maybe have an in depth conversation with a tattoo artist about the design rather than picking a Google image
- Placement - Career wise is the avenue you're going into fussy about tattoos on show. A lot of celebrities opt for hand tattoos but this may not be ideal in all work environments. I think modern bosses are generally more liberal to tattoos but this should still be a thought before and not after getting the tattoo. Also, where would you want it - would you want it on your back or would you get annoyed at not seeing it everyday? would you go for ribs or is your pain tolerance not quite high enough? etc.
- Do your research about prices and aftercare. Is this something you really want to invest money on over something else? Are you going to take care of it afterwards to prevent fading/get colours redone. Whilst you may initially love a tattoo, will you love it long term?

Anyway, these are my best tips (honestly coming from a tattooless person). My main advice is make sure it is thought through
Omg amazing thank u
Yes the design i want rn it one from pinterest. Rly basic lol
Although i just dont rly want it to have meaning?? Like if it does have meaning and i dont resonate with the meaning anymore i'll hate it- but if its meaningless its like a little bit of art ugm idk
jennifugh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Omg amazing thank u
Yes the design i want rn it one from pinterest. Rly basic lol
Although i just dont rly want it to have meaning?? Like if it does have meaning and i dont resonate with the meaning anymore i'll hate it- but if its meaningless its like a little bit of art ugm idk
Yeah to be fair at the end of the day it is your decision and it would be better to get the one from Pinterest then to get one with a super deep meaning that you don't really like the look of - ultimately tattoos are often for the appearance rather than the story. I just would say may be think about it and see if you'd like it long term. For example, on Pinterest I see a lot of clothes I like but that doesn't necessarily mean I want them for a lifetime. Ultimately you know best and good luck with whatever you decide
Karisa96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you feel like you would regret it at sometime, then dont have one.
You need to be certain as they are for life.
So think very hard before making a decision.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (46)
59.74%
No (17)
22.08%
Not sure (14)
18.18%

Watched Threads