whoartthou55
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Could someone explain to me when partial substitution occcurs and when deprotonation occurs? are there specific conditions? For example, ammonia completely substitutes all of h2O in hexa aqua copper II ion when in excess (6NH_3), if not, it only deprotonates (2NH_3) hexa aqua copper II ions to tetra aqua di hydroxo copper II ions. However partial substitution can occur with (4NH_3) producing di aqua tetra ammine copper II ions. So were do you draw the line between deprotonation and partial substitution(please correct me if im wrong too).
Asay3011
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by whoartthou55)
Could someone explain to me when partial substitution occcurs and when deprotonation occurs? are there specific conditions? For example, ammonia completely substitutes all of h2O in hexa aqua copper II ion when in excess (6NH_3), if not, it only deprotonates (2NH_3) hexa aqua copper II ions to tetra aqua di hydroxo copper II ions. However partial substitution can occur with (4NH_3) producing di aqua tetra ammine copper II ions. So were do you draw the line between deprotonation and partial substitution(please correct me if im wrong too).
Omg Im literally studying that and Im stuggling quite a lot! Im not really sure as soon as I figure it out Ill come back to you and if not Ill wait with you for a response
whoartthou55
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Asay3011)
Omg Im literally studying that and Im stuggling quite a lot! Im not really sure as soon as I figure it out Ill come back to you and if not Ill wait with you for a response
sure xD
burntcherrio
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by whoartthou55)
partial substitution is a ligand exchange reaction -> usually its when H2O is replaced by NH3 as the ligand (they are uncharged and similar in size so it doesnt make much difference it can be a complete substitution or a partial one ) this is in excess NH3.,

deprotonation and protonation are acid base reactions. deprotonation is when in limited OH- or NH3 ( they form the same hydroxide percipitate) the reaction with OH- just releases water in adition and the one with NH3 just relases the ammonium ion (both relase the same hydroxide percipitate) -> the percipitate is in the form M(OH)2(H2O)4 or M(OH)3(H2O)3 depending on the oxidation state of M (the specific transition metal)

an overall equation of deprotonation may help

Cu(H2O)6 *+2charge* + OH- ->Cr(H20)4(OH)*+2charge* *solid percipitate)+2H20

here 2 hyrdogens are lost from the water ligand-> 2 protons are lost-> deprotinatin beacuse of the OH- base ( its an acid base reaction) a new ligand hasnt take the place of H20 its just been modified in an acid base reaction

in ligand substitution a completely different ligand (NH3) replaces a H20 ligand

hope that makes sense , look up goalby notes on transition metals ,if it doesnt , lol i just finished studying this topic so correct me if i made a mistake
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (6)
10.34%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.62%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.17%
I need help with my personal statement (25)
43.1%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
24.14%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.45%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed