The Student Room Group

Trig inequality help

Hello everyone!

Here is my Q shown below

Screenshot 2020-03-15 at 21.00.14.png

I have had a go at all the parts but I'm struggling on how I should do part d) of this question

IMG_4099.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_4101.jpg

IMG_4102.jpg

Any help would be really grateful, thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Yatayyat
Hello everyone!

Here is my Q shown below

Screenshot 2020-03-15 at 21.00.14.png

I have had a go at all the parts but I'm struggling on how I should do part d) of this question

IMG_4099.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_4101.jpg

IMG_4102.jpg

I think

You should sketch the graph of when cosx=1/2 or =-0.7... within the range they gave you, preferably on the same graph

Since y=cosx is similar to a quadratic you could do the same where you look on the graph and whichever part of it is above the X axis is your answer (remembering to put your inequality signs)
Hello everyone!

Here is my Q shown below

Maybe the factorisation isn't at all obvious, but consider (xα)(xβ)(x-\alpha)(x-\beta) which expands into x2(α+β)x+αβ=0x^2 - (\alpha + \beta)x + \alpha\beta = 0.

The question is of exactly this form. Hence if you notice this you can immediately factorise into

(cosx12)(cosx12)0(\cos x - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})(\cos x - \frac{1}{2}) \geq 0

So you should solve this inequality. We require that cosx12\cos x \leq \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} *or* cosx12\cos x \geq \dfrac{1}{2}. So you seek x values so that this statement is true.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
Maybe the factorisation isn't at all obvious, but consider (xα)(xβ)(x-\alpha)(x-\beta) which expands into x2(α+β)x+αβ=0x^2 - (\alpha + \beta)x + \alpha\beta = 0.

The question is of exactly this form. Hence if you notice this you can immediately factorise into

(cosx12)(cosx12)0(\cos x - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})(\cos x - \frac{1}{2}) \geq 0

So you should solve this inequality. We require that cosx12\cos x \leq \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} *and* cosx12\cos x \geq \dfrac{1}{2}. So you seek x values so that this statement is true.

Thanks I hadn't seen it like that. Plus my calculator wouldn't give one of the solutions in exact form when using the quadratic formula, where 0.7017... = 1/sqrt(2)

I have tried to work out each of the smaller 2 trig inequalities and got this. I had to always refer back to the cos graph to help me get the solutions I need to include in the given interval.

IMG_4107.jpg
Reply 4
Thanks I hadn't seen it like that. Plus my calculator wouldn't give one of the solutions in exact form when using the quadratic formula, where 0.7017... = 1/sqrt(2)

I have tried to work out each of the smaller 2 trig inequalities and got this. I had to always refer back to the cos graph to help me get the solutions I need to include in the given interval.

IMG_4107.jpg

You want the union of the intervals where both factors are positive or both factors are negative?
Also you've written the intersection of two intervals which gives the range (45,60) degrees. This looks to be the opposite of what you want? Just stick some values into your original equation if you're unsure.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766
You want the union of the intervals where both factors are positive or both factors are negative?
Also you've written the intersection of two intervals which gives the range (45,60) degrees. This looks to be the opposite of what you want? Just stick some values into your original equation if you're unsure.

Yep my mistake, I see why I need to use the union here instead :smile:
Reply 6
Yep my mistake, I see why I need to use the union here instead :smile:

And the sets are wrong, as they need to be both positive or both negative.
Reply 7
Is this year 12 or year 13 maths
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766

Are they not both positive over here? What do you mean when you say a set is positive or negative?
Reply 9
Original post by mqb2766

All x values that lie in both of these sets do give a value of greater than or equal to zero. So here both my sets are positive? Plus I need to adjust the set accordingly in order to give all x values that lie in the given interval of the question
Are they not both positive over here? What do you mean when you say a set is positive or negative?

You had the sets (0,60) and (45,90). Either plug a few values back into the quadratic or reason about the signs of the factors
(cos(x) - 0.7)(cos(x) - 0.5)
To reason how each set is defined - both terms are positive or (union) both terms are negative.

Tbh, its easier to just go back to a basic quadratic. You have a quadratic in z=cos(x). The z^2 coefficient is positive so the gra on is a bowl. The zero crossing points are in the interval of interest (0,1), so the graph is positive in the intervals at the ends and is negative in the centre interval. These 3 intervals do not overlap. Your original solution defined two overlapping intervals and took their intersection. This gave the interval in which the quadratic is nagative.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by mqb2766
You had the sets (0,60) and (45,90). Either plug a few values back into the quadratic or reason about the signs of the factors
(cos(x) - 0.7)(cos(x) - 0.5)
To reason how each set is defined - both terms are positive or (union) both terms are negative.

Tbh, its easier to just go back to a basic quadratic. You have a quadratic in z=cos(x). The z^2 coefficient is positive so the gra on is a bowl. The zero crossing points are in the interval of interest (0,1), so the graph is positive in the intervals at the ends and is negative in the centre interval. Thread 3 intervals do not overlap. Your original solution defined two overlapping intervals and took their intersection. This gave the interval in which the quadratic is nagative.

Ok thanks, but I do seem to a get a value of zero or more when I plug in x values that belong in the set (0,60) and (45,90) back in the quadratic?

I have tried using Desmos to help me picture of what is going on here and I see this:

Screenshot 2020-03-17 at 08.57.25.png

Screenshot 2020-03-17 at 08.53.51.png

Therefore my set should look something like this?

IMG_4114.JPG
Ok thanks, but I do seem to a get a value of zero or more when I plug in x values that belong in the set (0,60) and (45,90) back in the quadratic?

I have tried using Desmos to help me picture of what is going on here and I see this:

Screenshot 2020-03-17 at 08.57.25.png

Screenshot 2020-03-17 at 08.53.51.png

Therefore my set should look something like this?

IMG_4114.JPG

The intervals are wrong. A s mentioned above, a simple quadratic in z argument gives (0,45) where both factors are positive or (60,90) where both factors are negative. In either case, their product is positive.
I'm not sure how your thinking is going wrong.

Your working is quite verbose (long) at times. Great to see clear explanations, but I feel you sometimes miss the big picture? Sometimes a heuristic, quick and dirty approximate solution keeps you on track.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by mqb2766
The intervals are wrong. A s mentioned above, a simple quadratic in a argument gives (0,45) where both factors are negative or (60,90) where both factors are positive. In either case, their product is positive.
I'm not sure how your thinking is going wrong.

Your working is quite verbose (long) at times. Great to see clear explanations, but I feel you sometimes miss the big picture? Sometimes a heuristic, quick and dirty approximate solution keeps you on track.

I understand that that interval is wrong, but I when I do key in the 2 inequalities to how it exactly is on Desmos, it does appear to include the region I have specified with my original interval before. This is my confusion.

For the bit about you saying that both factors must be either both positive or both negative. Isn't both my factors positive, as when I sub in x values that belong to the set I have given, they come to be zero or more, so therefore the product of those 2 factors will always equal zero or more which is what the inequality wants
I understand that that interval is wrong, but I when I do key in the 2 inequalities to how it exactly is on Desmos, it does appear to include the region I have specified with my original interval before. This is my confusion.

For the bit about you saying that both factors must be either both positive or both negative. Isn't both my factors positive, as when I sub in x values that belong to the set I have given, they come to be zero or more, so therefore the product of those 2 factors will always equal zero or more which is what the inequality wants

I'm not sure what you mean about desmos. In the final graph, the middle dark green interval is when the quadratic is <= 0. You want the two intervals on either side.

Your quadratic factories is
(z - 0.7)(z - 0.5)
Where z goes from 0 to 1. Can you sketch it? Almost without doing any analysis you should be able to say its
positive for
z < 0.5
and
z > 0.7
So the two intetvals to the left and right of the minimum and maximum roots.
Reply 15
Original post by mqb2766
I'm not sure what you mean about desmos. In the final graph, the middle dark green interval is when the quadratic is <= 0. You want the two intervals on either side.

Your quadratic factories is
(z - 0.7)(z - 0.5)
Where z goes from 0 to 1. Can you sketch it? Almost without doing any analysis you should be able to say its
positive for
z < 0.5
and
z > 0.7
So the two intetvals to the left and right of the minimum and maximum roots.

Is this what you mean?

IMG_4115.jpg

I get these 2 intervals which I have circled in my working
Reply 16
Screenshot 2020-03-17 at 09.50.32.png

The question states that I must provide my sols in the range 0 to 90, how would I do this with the 2 intervals I have just found
Is this what you mean?

IMG_4115.jpg

I get these 2 intervals which I have circled in my working

So when z<0.5, you get the interval (60,90)
For z>0.7 you get the interval (0,45)
You keep the same inequality when taking acos(). Sketch the graph and notice it flips. That's your mistake.

Then take their union.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by mqb2766
So when z<0.5, you get the interval (60,90)
For z>0.7 you get the interval (0,45)
You keep the same inequality when taking acos(). Sketch the graph and notice it flips. That's your mistake.

Then take their union.

Yes this is specifically the part I am struggling to understand? I'm very confused with how you arrived at the interval (60,90) from z<0.5

Because from that I arrived at x<= 60 and not 60 <= x <= 90
Yes this is specifically the part I am struggling to understand? I'm very confused with how you arrived at the interval (60,90) from z<0.5

Because from that I arrived at x<= 60 and not 60 <= x <= 90

Sketch z = cos(x), the question asks you to.
So when z<0.5, this is satisfied by x=90 as z=cos(90)=0 and all values back to x=60 as z=cos(60)=0.5.
Going back any further means z>0.5. So you want (60,90).
Similar for the other case.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest