Got caught trying to cheat turnitin! Helppp!!!

Watch
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by geeko123456)
Damn! Im really stuck between two minds now. The digging a deeper hole point has shifted me the opposite way. All i need is for college to just get shutdown my teacher will forget about it after a few weeks.
You can be almost certain that they will not shut down that quickly. And your teacher will probably not forget about it. Sorry, but you may as well just own up.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
im considering just owning up cos they will probs just limit some grades, but i feel like using my stresses as a reason will mitigate the punishment to just getting a pass in that unit and not others.
They arent going to accept stress and depression without a Drs note. You are lucky it is just college and not uni. There is a chance you will get away with it. You are definitely in the zone for being failed though.
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Your best bet is to be honest and apologetic. There’s literally no lying your way out of this...

Next time have some academic integrity.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
The thing is if the punishment is just getting capped grades in that unit then i can accept that, but if it affects other units and my place at college(which i doubt it will) then that's whats making me want to lie.
You are underestimating how seriously they should be treating it.
geeko123456
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I don't think they take it as serious as uni. It is not much different to plagarising and having a high percentage, in the sense that its still plagarising. I can't see logically how they can cap or not grade me for units which i didnt do this in becuse i did it in one assignment. I also highly doubt they will kick me out
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't think there is a way to get out of it, stress doesn't usually mitigate academic misconduct. :dontknow:
Just be honest with them and face the consequences.
geeko123456
Rep:
?
I'm trying to figure out what the punishment is now...
geeko123456
Rep:
?
Also to everyone who replied i'm very sorry if my replies seem abit absurd and silly, i do understand what you are all saying. This situation has made me very anxious hence why i keep replying with silly answers to what you all said
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There is never an excuse for academic misconduct. If you can't do the work for whatever reason then you should be finding a way to deal with that. I would never accept an excuse for deliberate plagiarism like yours because it was in no way accidental.

They won't just forget about it. Stop lying and accept responsibility. You might want some sympathy but I'm not giving any, people get through harder work with greater steaks with much worse mental issues than that. You did it so own up. That is all you should do, to find a way of getting off lightly is just going further down the rabbit hole.
Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Think about what you are asking - you got caught cheating and now want to cheat your way out of the punishment. You have dug a big enough hole already, just stop digging.
JacobReesMogg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is this official work, like a BTEC module or coursework? If so then you have ****ed up big time and have 2 choices: either face the music and admit it or turn tail and run away. If this is the first year of college just repeat it, maybe somewhere else. If this is your second year you may have to struggle through and just finish it - do another year to bring your grades up if needs be.
If this is not official work then you will likely just get a mild punishment - you are worth about £5K to the college after all.
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's almost like the people that setup Turnitin have access to Google as well, but that would be ridiculous.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
It's almost like the people that setup Turnitin have access to Google as well, but that would be ridiculous.
Don’t be so silly...as if
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I despair.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'll be honest i may be exagerating the mental health part a little, but if playing the victim card will mitigate the circumstances to just getting capped in that unit then i would not care about exagerating it. Its a doggy dog world.
Don't lie about your mental health. Jesus, it really annoys me when people do this.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Airmed)
Don't lie about your mental health. Jesus, it really annoys me when people do this.
It annoys me when people commit academic fraud. He’s guilty on two counts of sh*t behaviour.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,

i'm at college and i basically found a technique on google where u can cheat turnitin. what it does is it put a hidden letter at the start of each word so even tho the words look correctly spelt there is a hidden letter which mispells them but u cant see it. The problem i didnt realise is one teacher caught me somehow and now i need a really good excuse to get out of it as i have a disciplinary meeting. Has anyone ever been in this situation, if so how did u get out of it.

PS: I dont need comments telling me i shouldnt have tried cheating turnitin and done original work. Im already aware of that.
Well this seems pretty point blank. Now you have completed 2 offences:
1 - plagiarism
2 - attempting to cheat the submission rules

there is no excuse, you face up to what you've done. Given the flagrant disregard for academic conduct I think the college is well within their rights to kick you out, if this is a first offence they may not go this far.
geeko123456
Rep:
?
well i havent been accused of this before and my teacher said to resumbit that assignment, so i doubt they are planning to kick me out.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
well i havent been accused of this before and my teacher said to resumbit that assignment, so i doubt they are planning to kick me out.
No it seems you are getting off lightly. If this was uni then you’d be out. This isn’t accidental plagiarism it is a clear case of deliberate violation, they’d remove you from your course regardless of your excuse.
stressednerd000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Damn, what a mess. I'm with everyone on here, just admit you did wrong, at least you're being honest. I don't know if it would be wise to bring it up in the disciplinary meeting, I don't go to a college, but you could mention the stress to someone. It might not get you out of trouble, but they might offer you some helpful resources to manage stress in the future and time being. Please don't exaggerate your mental health for pity points though, it just makes the rest of us look bad IMO.

And breathe, my g. This probably isn't the end of the world, but I don't go to college so IDK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (339)
34.7%
No (638)
65.3%

Watched Threads