username5201918
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Why don't they just tell us whether they will delay the exams or not. The speculation is just annoying and it puts teachers and students in a vulnerable position.
username5201918
Rep:
?
They as in ofqual.
username5201918
Rep:
?
Reality Check As an examiner I believe? Do you know why they are taking so long to tell us what they will be doing regarding exams? What do you think they will do and what do you think is the best thing to do?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Flyehigh)
Reality Check As an examiner I believe? Do you know why they are taking so long to tell us what they will be doing regarding exams? What do you think they will do and what do you think is the best thing to do?
It's a hugely complex, rapidly evolving situation. Delaying the examinations will have huge ramifications for both schools/colleges and FE, so it's not some decision that can be taken on the hoof. There are a million 'stakeholders' (to use that horrible phrase) to consult, and the final decision to close schools would rest with the government anyway.

We have no news. The situation now is as it has been: the examinations are going ahead until we hear otherwise. I suspect we shall hear more about it over the coming days, but there is literally no point in speculating.

My personal choice would be to take whatever social distancing measures were necessary to allow the examinations to go ahead. I'm not in the COBRA committee, though
username5201918
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
It's a hugely complex, rapidly evolving situation. Delaying the examinations will have huge ramifications for both schools/colleges and FE, so it's not some decision that can be taken on the hoof. There are a million 'stakeholders' (to use that horrible phrase) to consult, and the final decision to close schools would rest with the government anyway.

We have no news. The situation now is as it has been: the examinations are going ahead until we hear otherwise. I suspect we shall hear more about it over the coming days, but there is literally no point in speculating.

My personal choice would be to take whatever social distancing measures were necessary to allow the examinations to go ahead. I'm not in the COBRA committee, though
So there is a possibility of them going ahead as normal?
I've just heard loads of speculations about exams being cancelled, exams being delayed by a few months, unis just turning conditional offers into firms and even re-doing the whole year.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I've just heard loads of speculations about exams being cancelled, exams being delayed by a few months, unis just turning conditional offers into firms and even re-doing the whole year.
Yes, its a hugely rapidly evolving situation.

Exam boards will do everything possible to make exams go ahead, with the provision that is safe to do so, clearly its impossible to say at this moment in time if the risk of spreading the virus in June will be too high to run exams.

Best thing to do is to prepare for the run up as if they were happening, but be aware delays and cancellations could very well happen and you'll be updated sometime between now and the start of exams.
username5201918
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Yes, its a hugely rapidly evolving situation.

Exam boards will do everything possible to make exams go ahead, with the provision that is safe to do so, clearly its impossible to say at this moment in time if the risk of spreading the virus in June will be too high to run exams.

Best thing to do is to prepare for the run up as if they were happening, but be aware delays and cancellations could very well happen and you'll be updated sometime between now and the start of exams.
Theirs a meeting today for ofqual. Do you think they will let us know of their plans for the exams?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
As mnot says, the best thing to do is to carry on preparing for them. You say yourself that what you've heard is 'speculation', and really this is not at all helpful for students.

The current situation is that the examinations will go ahead as planned: and we must all continue to plan and work towards this until we hear definitively otherwise. It's not an ideal situation, but it isn't ideal for anyone. We have to have some flexibility and patience with this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (92)
13.86%
I'm not sure (31)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (213)
32.08%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.26%
I'm not a current university student (313)
47.14%

Watched Threads