Coronavirus FAQ - University of Winchester.

Watch
University of Winchester
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi all,

I've put together this thread to answer any questions you have about how COVID-19 is affecting the University of Winchester. Below are some of our most frequently asked questions and a link to the full list of FAQs as well.

The situation is fast moving, so I will try to update this thread with new information as soon as I can. All of our other communication channels will also be posting new information as soon as we have it.

The Student Room is only monitored during office hours, so I ask for your patience outside of these hours.

Remember to look out for one another, if anyone wants to talk just drop me a message.

What is the University doing about coronavirus?

Spoiler:
Show

The University is acting on advice from sources including the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, World Health Organisation, the NHS and Public Health England. We have taken proactive steps to contact our students and staff to ensure that everyone has access to the latest advice. We have been in contact with students and staff who are in affected areas around the world.
On 8 March, Public Health England confirmed that a student at Peter Symonds College had tested positive for coronavirus after returning home from a specified country. We are monitoring the local coronavirus situation closely and are in contact with the Royal Hampshire County Hospital and other local organisations as necessary. We have made plans to act quickly if the situation changes and will provide further updates as necessary.

Is the University open and operating as normal?

Spoiler:
Show

We understand that staff, students and their families are justifiably concerned about the coronavirus. We want to reassure you again that we are following all Government guidance and that the University is operating as normal.
Following a local resident testing positive for coronavirus, we will continue to monitor the situation closely and we will continue to provide as much advice, care and support as we can to our University community.

If a case is confirmed at Winchester, will the University close?

Spoiler:
Show

In the event that a member of the University community is confirmed as having been infected with coronavirus, the University will immediately inform the relevant authorities and will take all necessary actions based on direct advice from Public Health England.
As the nature of the UK Government’s approach to limit the spread of the virus is regularly updated as it progresses through the four-stage plan for dealing with the situation nationally, the University will work with the best advice available at the time as necessary in order to protect the welfare of students and staff.

I'm a student. Will teaching, examinations and assessments be impacted?

Spoiler:
Show

Unless advised otherwise, all teaching, examinations and assessments will continue as planned. We are keeping the situation under review, and any changes to current arrangements will be communicated as appropriate.

I'm a student, and I'm concerned I may have coronavirus. What do I need to do?

Spoiler:
Show

Use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service. This will ask you a series of questions to ascertain if you are at risk of having coronavirus.

If it says 'you don’t need to speak to anybody right now' you do not need to inform us and you should attend your studies as normal unless you develop the symptoms it describes.

If after following NHS advice you are told to self-isolate, contact your department in the first instance. Let them know if you require additional support to self-isolate.

If you are receiving different advice from different people about whether you need to self-isolate or not, please check with 111 and follow their advice.

What Should I do if I believe I am particularly vulnerable?

Spoiler:
Show

We understand you may be concerned if you feel you are more vulnerable to coronavirus than others (for example if you have a specific health condition, or have vulnerable family members). Public Health England defines underlying conditions as people with weakened immune systems and those with long-term conditions such as diabetes, cancer and chronic lung disease. If you are worried, students should speak to the Student Services team. The University will support you as much as possible, based on any specific advice you have received from medical professionals, as well as general public health guidance.

!The Full FAQ is available here!

This information is from before the weekend (13/03/20). There are numerous meetings taking place at the moment and the information will likely change throughout the week.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Stay Safe,

Luke
University of Winchester
Rep:
?
Regarding this Saturday's Applicant Open Day:

"We regrettably have decided to cancel our Open Day you were planning on attending this Saturday 21 March. While we know this is the right decision given the challenging global circumstances, we are disappointed we won’t be able to see you on campus at this time. We are thrilled you are keen to learn more about Winchester to see if this is the place for you to come and study in September. To go some way in helping you get a feel for life and study here at Winchester in lieu of an Open Day will be hosting a specially curated set of online Open activities over the coming weeks.If you haven’t already joined, why not join our Find Your Tribe Facebook group for applicants? Find and chat to other students who are looking to be at Winchester this autumn."

As always, if you have any questions, get in touch

Luke
University of Winchester
Rep:
?
We have released a new update about how the University will be operating from Friday the 20th of March

Some key bullet points from this:

- Face to Face teaching will end after the 20th of March
- If students wish to leave Winchester after their last class this week and continue to study remotely, they can.
- The campus and facilities will remain open, unless we are advised to close.
- Students on placement should continue to attend unless advised otherwise by the University or their placement provider.
- Staff and Students are asked to minimise the number of social gatherings on campus.

Any questions let me know!

Luke
University of Winchester
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
For all prospective students, The government has issued more information about the cancelling of exams.

For any current students, we have issued an updated statement. From today (23/03) all catering outlets will be take away only.

Hope you are all well,

Luke
University of Winchester
Rep:
?
After last nights announcement there will be further updates coming later today (24/03). I would imagine that on campus facilities will be shut down in line with the advice from the Government. There is a wide range of library facilities online that will remain accessible if the Library does confirm its closure.

I will update as soon as I have a full picture.

Stay safe,

Luke
University of Winchester
Rep:
?
This is the latest update from the University.

All students who need to stay in halls will be accommodated for the duration and catering will remain available.

For students who are going home, the Department of Education has confirmed that returning home is ‘essential travel’ but students should only return if they are able to do so without using public transport. On returning home, the household should begin a period of whole household isolation for 14 days following Public Health England guidance.

Any questions, I will be happy to help! Otherwise, stay indoors and safe!

Luke
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.58%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
14%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (136)
33.42%

Watched Threads