The Student Room Group

Will we be able to sit A levels this summer?

So corona virus is obviously in the UK now and spreading rapidly, schools are already closing and universities it seems likely that all schools, colleges, unis and exam centres will be shut down. I've recently paid 1.6 K to sit two a levels this summer and Idek what's gonna happen like when will I be able to sit the exams, will I get a refund and even if I'll ever be able to go to university now I'm even finding it hard to study and I think my maths tutor has got corona virus cus he hasn't messaged me on WhatsApp and hasn't been active and Idk how I'm gonna manage to get through my a levels without some tuition my tuition is basically vital I acc dk what to do rn
Reply 1
I really need some advice right now 😞😞
Reply 2
*bump*
call AQA or your exam board and find out
Original post by Mrgwop
So corona virus is obviously in the UK now and spreading rapidly, schools are already closing and universities it seems likely that all schools, colleges, unis and exam centres will be shut down. I've recently paid 1.6 K to sit two a levels this summer and Idek what's gonna happen like when will I be able to sit the exams, will I get a refund and even if I'll ever be able to go to university now I'm even finding it hard to study and I think my maths tutor has got corona virus cus he hasn't messaged me on WhatsApp and hasn't been active and Idk how I'm gonna manage to get through my a levels without some tuition my tuition is basically vital I acc dk what to do rn

You can make a difference by doing independent study. There are lots of resources on the internet, including many free ones. Use them.

You should get a refund if the exams are cancelled. Don't think that way though - go for it. Good luck.
Reply 5
Original post by musicislife01
call AQA or your exam board and find out

OK I will phone em up now thanks
Reply 6
Original post by RogerOxon
You can make a difference by doing independent study. There are lots of resources on the internet, including many free ones. Use them.

You should get a refund if the exams are cancelled. Don't think that way though - go for it. Good luck.

Tbf I have money so I can buy resources for self study but what resources do you recommend currently I watch YouTube tutorials and work out of my textbooks and for chemistry I have the new exam practice workbook

So you reckon I should continue studying no matter what?
Original post by Mrgwop
Tbf I have money so I can buy resources for self study but what resources do you recommend currently I watch YouTube tutorials and work out of my textbooks and for chemistry I have the new exam practice workbook

I don't use any (did my 'A' levels over 30 years ago ..), but I'm sure that others can recommend ones for specific subjects.

Original post by Mrgwop
So you reckon I should continue studying no matter what?

YES! You have everything to gain - it will improve your percentile.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by RogerOxon
I don't use any (did my 'A' levels over 30 years ago ..), but I'm sure that others can recommend ones for specific subjects.

YES! You have everything to gain - it will improve your percentile.

OK fair enough I'm defo willing to invest a fair amount of gwop in to my education I was paying £140 a week for my private tuition

I'm sure it will open up more opportunities and give me more choices; however doing it all on my own is gonna be quite tricky as I have three jobs and I'm doing on average 66 hours a week currently although if everything closes I won't be earning as much I think I would earning around 1.4 K a month instead of the 2.2 K a month
Reply 9
I just phoned up AQA and they said they're uncertain as to what the situation is gonna be and my exam centre is also uncertain
Original post by Mrgwop

Hi i understand this whole coronavirus thing is causing distress for you and many others. It is likely that the summer 2020 exam series will be subject to delay although i do expect that the exams will go ahead and complete cancellations are very unlikely. In regards to your current situation with maths i do understand that it is difficult to grasp a concept without someone explaining it to you. My best advice would be to use the following:
Dr frost maths - This is a widely used website that has powerpoint lessons for the whole A-level maths syllabus and further maths with thorough explanations
A-level maths revision - Another website with video tutorials, handwritten notes and exam question walkthroughs
Examsolutions - The legend himself!!! Been around since the beginning all the way from old spec to the current spec
TlMaths - Another legend!!! Awesome video tutorials

I wish you best of luck with your exams
Reply 11
Original post by CurryCurry2468
Hi i understand this whole coronavirus thing is causing distress for you and many others. It is likely that the summer 2020 exam series will be subject to delay although i do expect that the exams will go ahead and complete cancellations are very unlikely. In regards to your current situation with maths i do understand that it is difficult to grasp a concept without someone explaining it to you. My best advice would be to use the following:
Dr frost maths - This is a widely used website that has powerpoint lessons for the whole A-level maths syllabus and further maths with thorough explanations
A-level maths revision - Another website with video tutorials, handwritten notes and exam question walkthroughs
Examsolutions - The legend himself!!! Been around since the beginning all the way from old spec to the current spec
TlMaths - Another legend!!! Awesome video tutorials

I wish you best of luck with your exams

Yeah things are starting to get way out of hand and personally Idk what my future holds now but if I do die atleast I'll die with money

OK thanks I'll check them out I'm gonna be as productive as I can be although my future is uncertain I still have plans to go to university
I'd say continue studying, you never know what's going to happen with these exams and the news hasn't been particularly helpful either.I've been self teaching my a levels for y12 and y13 so I could reccomend you a couple resources that helped me:Maths - Khan academy, brilliant, and the yt channels Zeeshan Zamurred and TL maths, kind of like filmed math lessons. You can check physics and maths tutor for past papers and examiners reports and such.Seems to me that either our unis will take us based on predicteds or they'll move the exam to a later date but regardless its better to be safe than sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest