The Student Room Group

If exams go ahead, there will not be a level playing field

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Greywolftwo
OP doesn’t realise actual lives are at risk, only cares about exams. I’m also at a higher risk of catching this

@Treetop321 Life isn’t all about exams.

Don't say that when you don't have a clue.

I care about people's lives, which is why I'm perfectly happy for schools to close if needed. This isn't a discussion about how important other people are, its about the knock-on effects of helping to protect people.

Original post by laraxsha
its not just people who have to stay off for a few days. In my country and many others schools have fully closed for an entire month or longer with like a day warning. Many of these are british schools taking the exact same A level exams as pupils in the UK. Many of us haven't finished covering the courses in school with atleast 1 topic or more left to study which can be quite difficult if you struggle with self teaching. Many of us are now at a disadvantage due to either home situations or just genuinely needing school to learn better.

People here are being ignorant. They really don't understand other people's situations at all.
Original post by DerivativeName
Don't make this a left Vs right thing- has nothing to do with economics

Actually the action taken over this virus has everything to do with economics. Emotional knee jerk reactions really do have the capacity to completely derail a country's economy. Or if taken in many countries the entire global economy could be derailed. This may ultimately have vastly more serious consequences than anything the virus might inflict on people. Actions need to be dictated by logic, not emotion.
Original post by laraxsha
its not just people who have to stay off for a few days. In my country and many others schools have fully closed for an entire month or longer with like a day warning. Many of these are british schools taking the exact same A level exams as pupils in the UK. Many of us haven't finished covering the courses in school with atleast 1 topic or more left to study which can be quite difficult if you struggle with self teaching. Many of us are now at a disadvantage due to either home situations or just genuinely needing school to learn better.

The main reason some people are better at self-teaching than others is that they are more intelligent. If you need a teacher to explain something to you 3 times then you will be at a disadvantage, sure, but not a greater disadvantage than before.
Original post by BasicMistake
Since when were exams a level playing field?

Some students go to better schools, have better teachers, are naturally better at exam formats, get more support from parents and friends, etc.

If anything, the coronavirus is a great equaliser with regards to exams. The whining here is unbelievable.

I think the coronavirus is going to make the disadvantaged more disadvantaged. Some people don't have the opportunities to simply revise at home if schools close. It isn't as straight forward as people are trying to make it.
Original post by the bear
if you have been paying attention for the last 10 years at school then a few days working at home won't make a huge difference :h:

Not finishing the course will effect some people a lot.
Original post by 999tigger
Doesnt matter you just take responsibility, use some common sense and get on with it. Youve had 18 months.
When grade boundaries are fixed all this will be taken into account.
Perfectly fine with my answers, just many of you arent experienced with exams or using some common sense. That's the shame of it. Its a competition, more time doing productive studying and less time spent distracting yourself or wasting energy on things you cant control or dont score marks.

cool cool enjoy that tunnelled perspective that’ll get you no where in life
Original post by Treetop321
I think the coronavirus is going to make the disadvantaged more disadvantaged. Some people don't have the opportunities to simply revise at home if schools close. It isn't as straight forward as people are trying to make it.

personally i disagree with this as its more about which learning style benefits you more. Self studying is very different than being taught topics especially new ones by a teacher. Some people can learn very well by just reading and writing others need a more interactive approach with listening and talking about new topics. I wouldn't say it is a matter of intelligence and therefore may disadvantage many that can't attend lessons to learn the final important topics of their courses before exams.
Original post by iamthestudent
ahaha when did i say i😂 it literally says “students”

and bro same crohn’s disease and i’m on infliximab so don’t even try and get rude to me

i don’t even get why you needed to be such a nonce in your reply

stupid ****

The last line still applies.

You need some perspective in your life. Exams don't matter. Worry about the things you can actually do something about rather than feeding and adding to the unnecessary stress.
cool cool enjoy that tunnelled perspective that’ll get you no where in life

It's called reality. You'll find out one day.

If you're being held back due to financial reasons then schools closing will help you since those who attend good schools will be disproportionately affected.

If you're disadvantaged because you have a poor home environment then coronavirus is the least of your worries since you should be spending more time revising at home anyway, especially in the direct run-up to exams.
Original post by Drewski
The last line still applies.

You need some perspective in your life. Exams don't matter. Worry about the things you can actually do something about rather than feeding and adding to the unnecessary stress.

but they do

i am repeating year 13 as last year i had to go through intensive surgeries so I was unable to compete the year and sit my exams

as a result i lost both of my offers for medical school. now i have three offers after going through the whole process again and this time i want to get in.

it’s extremely stressful for me and these exams are so important. they determine a lot of my future and what paths i will take.

so again on this perspective issue i can see you are still lacking it.

it’s time to think about the bigger picture like i am as someone who wants to sit my exams to the best ability i can and go into the medical field so i am able to contribute to the amazing effects of the NHS especially in crises like this
Original post by Drewski
It's called reality. You'll find out one day.

really sad that people like you think only your view applies

shame on you
Original post by BasicMistake
If you're being held back due to financial reasons then schools closing will help you since those who attend good schools will be disproportionately affected.

If you're disadvantaged because you have a poor home environment then coronavirus is the least of your worries since you should be spending more time revising at home anyway, especially in the direct run-up to exams.

If you think that, I doubt you actually understand how disadvantaged some people are.

The people from good areas will be able to revise no matter what.

Some people from more disadvantaged areas may be able to revise at home a bit, but would prefer to go elsewhere for the majority of their time, like at school. If school's aren't open, this isn't a possibilty.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Knortfoxx
The main reason some people are better at self-teaching than others is that they are more intelligent. If you need a teacher to explain something to you 3 times then you will be at a disadvantage, sure, but not a greater disadvantage than before.

That is just one reason. There are many other reasons.
Original post by David Getling
Actually the action taken over this virus has everything to do with economics. Emotional knee jerk reactions really do have the capacity to completely derail a country's economy. Or if taken in many countries the entire global economy could be derailed. This may ultimately have vastly more serious consequences than anything the virus might inflict on people. Actions need to be dictated by logic, not emotion.

Sure, and the decision of what to do about the economy certainly is a left Vs right issue, but we're talking about exams, not the economy. And I agree with you that actions need to be taken on logic not emotion. But that's not about left Vs right.
If you think that, I doubt you actually understand how disadvantaged people are.

The people from good areas will be able to revise no matter what.

Some people from more disadvantaged areas may be able to revise at home a bit, but would prefer to go elsewhere for the majority of their time, like at school. If school's aren't open, this isn't a possibilty.

i completely agree

it’s a shame that people have no awareness to what others could be going through and the stresses associated with that
If the exams go ahead as planned, there will be no fairness. Students will not have a level playing field during the exam period.

Genuine question;

Why do you think there was fairness or a level playing field in the first place?

but they do

i am repeating year 13 as last year i had to go through intensive surgeries so I was unable to compete the year and sit my exams

as a result i lost both of my offers for medical school. now i have three offers after going through the whole process again and this time i want to get in.

it’s extremely stressful for me and these exams are so important. they determine a lot of my future and what paths i will take.

so again on this perspective issue i can see you are still lacking it.

it’s time to think about the bigger picture like i am as someone who wants to sit my exams to the best ability i can and go into the medical field so i am able to contribute to the amazing effects of the NHS especially in crises like this

But again, why do you assume that you and Mr treetops here are the only people who could ever have begun to have thought of such a thing? Why do you think you're more intelligent than everybody else?
i completely agree

it’s a shame that people have no awareness to what others could be going through and the stresses associated with that

You are mistaken.

People are perfectly aware of the concerns. They're just putting them into a wider context. And you don't like that because of your, frankly, self obsessed nature.

Yeah, you might be facing a lot. And that's tough. But a lot more people are facing a lot worse.

You're treating stress like a binary thing, rather than a spectrum.
I’ve just taken the time to read all of these valid points made by you guys, and yes there will be a slight disadvantage to some but may I make clear one point! Schools in the UK are currently by Law and government meant to be open as the UK Gov. have not made it prominent to close schools. I’m currently at boarding school not far from Milton Keynes where we all know there have been deaths from the Coronavirus and it was OPTIONAL to go home but otherwise school would remain open till the government says anything. As one said clearly that there could be a disadvantage from the virus upon our GCSEs and A levels, there is only 12 days till the Easter Holidays commence and therefore only missing a few days of school before most schools receive 3-4 weeks off will not give any need to change anything about the exams as going home now will only give you an advantage of 5 weeks revision. With the mind of material and books, most schools have online revision material that all students can have access to, there are many pass papers online to download and if you haven’t finished the material then you can simply email a teacher for a Scanned copy of any book or material that you may not be able to afford, or have access to. I think if you are worrying that the grades are going to be affected then you are getting yourself into a bad mindset, AQA and edexcel have currently stated that exams are planned to go ahead early May and will not change unless you are ill with the Covid-19. If you do miss the exams or because seriously ill due to the virus then this is why the exam board have a special consideration panel and will aid to see how they can help to give you the best way possible of passing your exams because at the end of the day all teachers and faculty members of exam boards want us to pass. Overall, just missing 4 days of school is not the end of the world as some are making out and what you could do is keep your old work at home and each day collate all your new work so that if you need to go home you can take it with you to have as backup. We had a Exeat (short 3 day break at home) last week as we have 2 every term and due to current affairs I chose to take my most important subjects home just in case we were not allowed to come back. Therefore just some pre prepping and common sense is needed to evade any worry or problems that may only affect your own grades and no one else’s.
If university students are able to keep on revising after a month of strikes and now closures, yet still carry on revising as normal, I'm sure you can too. :tongue:
Just carry on as you normally would and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending