As.1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Please refer to the attachment.
Could you please explain what point A is saying? In particular, if you could explain what “objections to the manner of use” means in that context.
Attached files
Last edited by As.1997; 8 months ago
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by As.1997)
Please refer to the attachment.
Could you please explain what point A is saying? In particular if you could explain what “objections to the manner of use” means in that context.

Attachment 887058
Not found for me. Can you upload again in the reply?
As.1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Not found for me. Can you upload again in the reply?
Just re-attached - not sure why it didn't work the first time.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I guess it's talking about the article discussing the detail of how pesticides are used (sprayed, types of pesticides). Whereas the article discussies the effects of the use of pesticides in general and why they're used. There is no/little discussion about how/the manner of their use.
Last edited by mqb2766; 8 months ago
As.1997
Rep:
?
By objections, I assume it means "ideas"? or "views?
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
By objections, I assume it means ideas?
Objections about harmful wildlife and people health - first couple of lines.
As.1997
Rep:
?
Objections about harmful wildlife and people health - first couple of lines.
Why do they use the word "confused", as it seems pretty clear to me :l
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Why do they use the word "confused", as it seems pretty clear to me :l
Just a way of expressing the question, I guess.
As.1997
Rep:
?
Just a way of expressing the question, I guess.
Oh actually, they mentioned "confused objections" to make people lose focus but the main idea here is that the argument doesn't discuss the "manner of use of pesticides" hence why A is wrong. It does mention "sprayed" but there are no discussion or "objections" about it.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Oh actually, they mentioned "confused objections" to make people lose focus but the main idea here is that the argument doesn't discuss the "manner of use of pesticides" hence why A is wrong. It does mention "sprayed" but there are no discussion or "objections" about it.
The text really only discusses the use. I don't think it's there for you to lose focus.
As.1997
Rep:
?
By manner of use, it is referring to "heavy use". Point A is saying instead of disagreeing with heavy use it is disagreeing with the use of pesticides as a whole.
As.1997
Rep:
?
For B) "The argument contradicts itself" -- Is this wrong because damage to the environment and maximising yield are not opposing ideas and hence they are not contradicting each other.

Opposing ideas would be to say pesticides damage the env and then claim it is also good for the env. Since maximising yield is not necessarily good for the environment, it cannot be a contradiction.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
For B) "The argument contradicts itself" -- Is this wrong because damage to the environment and maximising yield are not opposing ideas and hence they are not contradicting each other.

Opposing ideas would be to say pesticides damage the env and then claim it is also good for the env. Since maximising yield is not necessarily good for the environment, it cannot be a contradiction.
Exactly.
As.1997
Rep:
?
👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (572)
34.29%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (687)
41.19%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (334)
20.02%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise