Coronavirus: France announces Chinese-style lockdownWatch
Sorry to make another thread, but this is pretty serious.
President Macron is announcing a raft of measures as he puts France on a war-footing to fight the virus.
Here are the key details:
- All non-essential movement to be banned from Tuesday midday for 15 days; residents must stay at home
- Punishments for those flouting the regulations
- Army to be used to help transport the sick to hospital
- Military hospital to be used in Alsace, near German border
- Borders to be closed in agreement with other European Union countries
- Second round of local elections postponed
- No business, regardless of size, will be allowed to fail
As for border closures? Well that should be rather tricky given they abolished them so long ago, i dont goubt they have plans in place but their effectiveness is dubious to say the least.
I guess props for guaranteeing business survivability although i wonder how much the indebted French state can really afford?
I'm curious as to how he defines 'non essential movement'? Although imo that ship sailed quite some time ago.
I can predict that this COVID-19 business will have serious (economic, social etc.) implications for the rest of the 2020s.