Coronavirus: France announces Chinese-style lockdown

Watch
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Mod Edit: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.

Sorry to make another thread, but this is pretty serious.

President Macron is announcing a raft of measures as he puts France on a war-footing to fight the virus.

Here are the key details:
  • All non-essential movement to be banned from Tuesday midday for 15 days; residents must stay at home
  • Punishments for those flouting the regulations
  • Army to be used to help transport the sick to hospital
  • Military hospital to be used in Alsace, near German border
  • Borders to be closed in agreement with other European Union countries
  • Second round of local elections postponed
  • No business, regardless of size, will be allowed to fail
Advertisement
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm curious as to how he defines 'non essential movement'? Although imo that ship sailed quite some time ago.
As for border closures? Well that should be rather tricky given they abolished them so long ago, i dont goubt they have plans in place but their effectiveness is dubious to say the least.
I guess props for guaranteeing business survivability although i wonder how much the indebted French state can really afford?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
I'm curious as to how he defines 'non essential movement'? Although imo that ship sailed quite some time ago.
I think it will be case-by-case, depending on what you say to the Police officer who stops you.

As for border closures? Well that should be rather tricky given they abolished them so long ago, i dont goubt they have plans in place but their effectiveness is dubious to say the least.
Exactly, that will be tough.

I guess props for guaranteeing business survivability although i wonder how much the indebted French state can really afford?
Again, tough. Apparently they also suspended electricity, gas, water bills for all.

I can predict that this COVID-19 business will have serious (economic, social etc.) implications for the rest of the 2020s.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (42)
60%
No (28)
40%

Watched Threads