izziwills2002
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
it sounds like a stupid idea, but i think one of the only ways to get the government to realise the threat of coronavirus’ transmission from students to high risk family members, other than an online petition which has already been ignored by the government, could be through an organised mass day-off from school.
kind of like the opposite of a demo?
personally my mum falls into 4 of the 7/8 high risk categories, yet we still have to go into school, public transport etc. so it sounds like it’s dramatic, but considering she’s in that age range as well (v late 50’s), it’s a tad scary for her.
perhaps it would give a direct message to the government if most students did this?
(ps i’m year 13, these days off would prove both beneficial for my family and even my studies)
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s inevitable that the schools will be closed soon to be honest, the U.K. epidemic is just a week and a half behind that of Italy and France.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by izziwills2002)
it sounds like a stupid idea, but i think one of the only ways to get the government to realise the threat of coronavirus’ transmission from students to high risk family members, other than an online petition which has already been ignored by the government, could be through an organised mass day-off from school.
personally my mum falls into 4 of the 7/8 high risk categories, yet we still have to go into school, public transport etc. so it sounds like it’s dramatic, but considering she’s in that age range as well (v late 50’s), it’s a tad scary for her.
perhaps it would give a direct message to the government if most students did this?
(ps i’m year 13, these days off would prove both beneficial for my family and even my studies)
Tbh I think I read somewhere that parents can now pull you out of school without being fined
Ashley2004
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Most of my school is already doing this, i turned up yesterday and about a third of my year wasn't in (same applies for other years). I do think schools will close eventually because the problem is rising quickly so i'd wait a little longer before doing anything.
Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why do you want them to close so badly? You're not going to be infected. They will close eventually. I'm making the most of it because otherwise we'll just be stuck in doors for months with bugger all to do
izziwills2002
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
Why do you want them to close so badly? You're not going to be infected. They will close eventually. I'm making the most of it because otherwise we'll just be stuck in doors for months with bugger all to do
if i’m infected that’s not too bad, but my mum fits most of the high risk criteria so she wouldn’t be so good i’m afraid - that’s why I’m concerned
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Tell your school someone in your family has a cough and they'll be telling you not to come in
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if i’m infected that’s not too bad, but my mum fits most of the high risk criteria so she wouldn’t be so good i’m afraid - that’s why I’m concerned
then self-isolate for 14 days with your family
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
And what do you think all these students will do on their day off, all stay at home and isolate themselves from other people? Nah, there'll be ones out and about down the high street and shopping centres with their mates, which defeats the object of the walk-out...
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Very unhelpful for many others. I’d say we should let people take time off if they need to but schools should remain open rather than force everyone off.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Surnia)
And what do you think all these students will do on their day off, all stay at home and isolate themselves from other people? Nah, there'll be ones out and about down the high street and shopping centres with their mates, which defeats the object of the walk-out...
If the schools close that’s what will happen, you’ll just get loads of people walking about. I don’t see why people are thinking it will stop the spread when it will barely even slow it and cause too much hassle.
holly6901
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would be suprised if schools are open on Monday
Mustafa0605
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Focus on your studies, if an occupant in your house is over 70 or has a condition that affects their immune system, you should stay at home and the entire household should isolate. Most other kids at school don’t live with vulnerable people so why should their education be disturbed? Remember, coronavirus practically kills 0 healthy people under 60
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Out of interest, how do you know OP won't be infected?
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
because schools breed infection and it also creates mass gatherings when they go off to the shops straight afterwards.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (92)
60.93%
No (59)
39.07%

Watched Threads