Will Stephens
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey, I want to take a level Economics, Government and politics and Geography, I'm very interested interested in all 3 however I am concerned about not having maths A level with economics as I know it puts me at a disadvantage, ideally I want to study economics and politics at uni or a geography degree of some sort, and I have found some good universities which don't require A level maths is it pointless to do economics without maths??
Knortfoxx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Will Stephens)
Hey, I want to take a level Economics, Government and politics and Geography, I'm very interested interested in all 3 however I am concerned about not having maths A level with economics as I know it puts me at a disadvantage, ideally I want to study economics and politics at uni or a geography degree of some sort, and I have found some good universities which don't require A level maths is it pointless to do economics without maths??
There is a reason most unis require maths for economics. But you don't strictly need it.
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
it's not a strict requirements to do maths, but it may help you keep more doors open. that being said, i wouldn't take maths unless you enjoy it and are willing to put effort in the subject. your call at the end of the day
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Will Stephens)
Hi Will Stephens,

From my experience, I am currently studying a geography degree. The main reason which influenced this decision is my interest in geography. However, it was also influenced by my choice of A Levels “Biology, Geography and Business.”

I was also concerned with not studying A Level Maths; however, it was not essential to the degree I wanted to study. The choice to study A Level Biology instead of A Level Maths gave me the advantage in my 1st year of study at university.

Therefore, if you would like to study Economics and Politics or Geography (and economics?), then you may want to choose the A Levels which will give you the advantage at university. An excellent online resource is the “UCAS search tool.” It will show the universities which offer the course you are keen on and their entry requirements.

https://digital.ucas.com/search

To find out more information, the current Coronavirus situation means that university open days are likely to be postponed for the foreseeable future. However, you can contact directly the universities which you are interested in for their advice, and access The Student Room Forum for further information on the courses and entry requirements.

If you have any further question, please don’t hesitate to ask.

All the best with your studies,

Best Wishes,
Sam Townsend | Bsc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (228)
33.78%
No (447)
66.22%

Watched Threads